Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

3 weight fly rod for trout

Would a tfo 3 weight 7'6" professional fly rod be good for sea trout? I normally catch them from 15-25 inches. And could it handle a possible 20inch redfish? THANKS

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,944 Moderator
    Trout would be a blast on a 3 wt, but you would have to use small flies that the 3 wt could carry. A 20" red would be stretching the limits of this rod, do-able, with a lot of luck & skill. One problem would be overcoming the wind one usually finds on salt water which is not normally present when using a small rod on a small fresh water creek
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,481 Officer
    Like Jack said, the wind would be your problem.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,013 Officer
    I'd get a 5wt.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    I'd get a 5wt.

I would have to agree. If you were going to pick up a "fly weight" outfit....5 or 6 wt. is the smallest I would go. I love a 6 wt. because it allows me to throw most shrimp and crab flies that reds and trout would eat.....most companies make a redfish taper line in 6 wt......a 6 will have enough backbone to handle any size trout and reds up to the mid 30's.....and you can even cast it to beach snook where the wide open terrain will allow you to work them with little fear of snag.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • OverSlotOverSlot Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Thanks shadowcast that helps alot. I will look at the 5 or 6 weight fly rods.