Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Idiot captain almost runs over kayaker (Pompano 6/29)

I was fishing off Pompano trying to get my live chum on, and just as soon as I get some fish busting on the surface this happens. I noticed a boat barreling towards me and got a feeling he didn't see me as I couldn't see anyone behind the console. Despite waiving my paddle, and blowing a useless whistle I had to take evasive action and nearly got ran over.

Idiots like this captain are the reason I don't usually fish on the weekends. He's the type of guy that texts and drives, uses his prop to play duck duck goose with manatees and thinks diver flags are for a slalom course. If you aren't watching where you're driving do everyone a favor and just sell your boat or run it onto the jetty. If you recognize this googan on the water, beware. I'm uploading this video then heading over to west marine for a flare gun and a dry box for the 40 cal. This has happened to me twice and I've only had a kayak since January. Next time I'm bouncing a flare off someone's console, I PROMISE you that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    If that's an Everglades, it's not the first time he's done that!!!
  • bullchaserbullchaser Posts: 931 Officer
    DAAAMMNNN! That was scary. I know you may be hard to see but if your paying any kind of attention you'd notice a yellow kayake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    If that's an Everglades, it's not the first time he's done that!!!

Is it an Everglades? I'd like to know the make/model if anyone can identify. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    Pretty sure it's the same guy that ran up on us about 20 off. It was a weekday & we had been working a school of tuna/birds for over 30min with no one around. He ran right through the birds, up our prop wash, ran over the long line & wrapped it up in his prop. Not another boat in sight for miles! We we started cursing him out all he could say was he saw the birds & turned towards them. We let him have it so bad his buddy told him they should just leave, he continued on the same course he was running with was SSE. No idea where he was headed. Quite the MORON!

I believe it's a 26 Everglades out of Fort lauderdale.
  • cerobitcerobit Posts: 32 Deckhand
    crap like that really pizzes me off. I was run over by an idiot running full throttle in the keys. **** you don't see my dive flag???? Luckily, I heard him approaching and decided to breathold zen like at 20 feet for another minute. It was kinda cool to see the boat zoom by at 25 knots from underneath.

Then there was the ER doc who cut the legs off the diver, Rob, a few years ago and didn't offer med assistance. Claimed he didn't see rob waving his speargun like mad. Right, Cap'n.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "What are we doing here???? Making a Hit Movie!"
    http://ALLFloridaBeeRemoval.com
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    im 95% sure thats an everglades...
  • Key LimeKey Lime Posts: 360 Officer
    Good to see you made it out OK. Could've easily been somebody posting a thread about you. Let's hope that dude learns and learns soon.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i get a **** airboat flag.i know you shouldnt have too but it may save your ***.
  • Dream RealityDream Reality Posts: 893 Officer
    Oh poop!!! Some people............:willynilly
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    fwiw, definitely not an everglades. Looks to me like maybe an island runner or maybe a wellcraft. the shear line of everglades boats goes up as it slopes towards the bow, not down like an island runner. I'm glad to hear you're ok, I had a guy buzz me in a fountain 38lx a few years ago, the crazy thing was that I was hanging out right next to the weather buoy south of the inlet and the guy got super close to me.
    1970 23 Seabird
    Looks to me like maybe an island runner or maybe a wellcraft.

Think you're right. One thing I noticed in the vid that I didn't see on the everglades boats was the oval port on the console. The guy appeared to be coming straight out of the Hillsboro Inlet, so I don't think it's your guy copout. Still can't stop thinking bout what would have happened if I got hit...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rogerthatrogerthat Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I usually don't post my thoughts but I had to, being that it was ironic, I was thinking the safety issue on a yak today while I was out. I applaud all the effort you guys put into fishing off a kayak and it's pretty cool too. I am not saying that captain is right since you were waving your paddle and trying to attract his attention but I've been out, several times, off FTL and Dania and there are kayakers that you barely can see until you are fairly close and on a rough day it is even harder to see a kayaker. Is there not a law that requires kayakers to use a flag, kind of like the ATV flags or something? I wonder what it will take for a flag to become a law, it will probably be from one of the kayakers getting hit by a boat or hurt. The first response a boat driver will say is that he didn't see the kayaker until it was too late. I'm not looking to start a debate I am just curious if it is a law to promote kayak visibility in some way and if not shouldn't the kayakers take upon themselves to be safe while powerless in a big ocean with 100's of boats around and a handful of idiot drivers on some of them???? :shrug
    rogerthat wrote: »
    Is there not a law that requires kayakers to use a flag, kind of like the ATV flags or something?

That's not required, but I do have a flag anyways. Apparently it doesn't work... I understand it's hard to see us and it was a little sporty today out there. Just realize that a lot of guys kayak off Pompano and Dania so please be on the lookout for us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • on deckon deck Posts: 653 Officer
    Sucks it happened but you kayakers do need to fly some type of flag...Not per "the rules" but to help save your life. I have almost run one over straight out of H'boro. Just at daybreak...sun in full effect right in my face...2-3' swell...He wasn't there and then he was. Scared the crap out of me...I can only wonder what the yaker was feeling. I am very diligent when running a boat, but, sometimes mother nature can hide things pretty well...especially a small boat with 1' gunnels. I give you guys a lot of props for doing what you do...just don't want to read a newspaper story about what went wrong.
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    idiots! when I'm coming back to the port going fast.. I always have my eyes open.. cause I know there are kayaks out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • anejo22 wrote: »
    i get a **** airboat flag.i know you shouldnt have too but it may save your ***.

Hey, that's a good idea!
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,921 Captain
    I'm sorry, but the **** whistle in the video has me cracking up each time I watch it. It just doesn't get old!
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Wow close call good thing you where on the look out and able
    To clear room for your self
    Hope it didn't completely ruin your fishing
    As for my opinion on flags it will take a whole lot more then one simple flag
    To help in a matter such as this the captain was not visually "aware"
    Doubt he's going to notice a simple flag
    An air horn would be my first purchase
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,418 Captain
    Your incident is a lot more common than you'd guess - but that doesn't make it right. I do a fair number of night charters and the first thing I tell my anglers is that the only real threat we'll face is idiots in boats that don't have a clue. If it's bad duing the daytime it's a real problem at night where you have to look hard to see other boats in some circumstances. Yes, for a 'yak in crowded waters I'd consider a pennant of some kind (but that won't help you if the idiot isn't even looking (ask me how I know...). For years and years I've operated out of small skiffs that are usually in the 17' range and I've almost been run over by chartermen (one fifty footer years ago out on the reef line -and I actually knew the captain involved since I'd worked as a mate on that dock...), private boats in the 30 to 40 foot range, and small craft loaded with people and music blaring as they partied on past me (within 15 feet, late at night under a bridge, at more than 30 miles an hour....).

Be careful out there and yes, occasionally you'll have to move and do it quickly to keep something bad from happening.... and if your next of kin is in court arguing that you were in the right.... you've already lost....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • jr9701jr9701 Posts: 157 Officer
    People need to pay extra attention on calm days like that. On Friday out of Boca inlet I saw quite a few kayaks moving about and even paddle boarders and people weren't giving them enough space. One of the problems with calm seas is that people become complacent and less attention is spent steering and even looking ahead in front.

Real sad, I hope you unload your flare gun next time.
    jr9701 wrote: »
    People need to pay extra attention on calm days like that. On Friday out of Boca inlet I saw quite a few kayaks moving about and even paddle boarders and people weren't giving them enough space. One of the problems with calm seas is that people become complacent and less attention is spent steering and even looking ahead in front.

Real sad, I hope you unload your flare gun next time.

It wasn't as calm as the video may appear. It is a little deceiving, but not rough enough to give the captain any real excuse. This incident dropped my comfort level down a few pegs and has made me revise my safety gear... I just hope it raises awareness of both boaters and kayakers. I don't wanna die out there and I don't want my big head scuffing the hull of anyones brand new Contender. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    Its a 33 hydrasport. He fuels up at the sands, FYI, about 7am. It has an oxidized blue hull. Go get 'em!
  • SangsterSangster Central FloridaPosts: 100 Deckhand
    good thing he wasn't coming up from behind you!
    Ryan

1983 Wellcraft V-20 Fisherman
    2001 Evinrude Ficht Ram 225
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    Pretty sure it's the same guy that ran up on us about 20 off. It was a weekday & we had been working a school of tuna/birds for over 30min with no one around. He ran right through the birds, up our prop wash, ran over the long line & wrapped it up in his prop. Not another boat in sight for miles! We we started cursing him out all he could say was he saw the birds & turned towards them. We let him have it so bad his buddy told him they should just leave, he continued on the same course he was running with was SSE. No idea where he was headed. Quite the MORON!

I believe it's a 26 Everglades out of Fort lauderdale.

Yessir that is him. Should not be on the water.
  • Shady_GradyShady_Grady Posts: 52 Deckhand
    You guys seriously need to fly airboat flags if you are going to be out there in kayaks.
    There are too many people who use auto pilot or have no idea what they are doing and someone is going to get plowed one day.
    I have been on the water since birth and I have had a couple instances where I came over the top of a swell only to see a yellow floating kayak in the trough, which obviously could have been horrible if I was not paying attention.
    This guy however knew exactly what he was doing and ran up on you on purpose.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    this is why I stick to the flats on my yak. f that.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • metalroofermetalroofer Posts: 75 Deckhand
    I looked at it for the second time today, and noticed, you DID NOT toss your cigarette!!! LOL, 3 seconds from being cut into bits, but did not flick that cigarette, LOL!!

I wish my wife would quit, friggin disgusting habit.

Maybe that was it, the guy who almost hit you hates smokers!
    I looked at it for the second time today, and noticed, you DID NOT toss your cigarette!!! LOL, 3 seconds from being cut into bits, but did not flick that cigarette, LOL!!

I wish my wife would quit, friggin disgusting habit.

Maybe that was it, the guy who almost hit you hates smokers!

Haha, I don't think I even knew it was in my hand at the time. I was preoccupied with trying not to die... I'm on a relapse right now, didn't smoke for almost 4 years til I got hammered a month ago and got a pack. I'm sure that boater saw me smoking from a quarter mile away and decided to try and help me quit. Besides, I don't litter so I wouldn't flick it for a sea turtle to swallow. Have some consideration for nature!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    I believe kayakers should have an elevated flag or visual detector when offshore!!! Just my opinion
    I do have a safety flag as many people already mentioned. I thought it was in the description, but it's only in the youtube video description. I might consider one on a 6' pole with a larger pennant like the airboat flags some have mentioned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]