Finally caught this guy

katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
Hi All. For some time time now this barracuda has been hanging around under our dock & I have been wanting to catch him for 6 months or more until tonight. He put up a pretty good fight. He was 22" long and caught on live shrimp. Also it was low tide as well. Just wanted to share this.

For some reason the picture is not sideways on my phone or IPAD but it is here. Can the moderator of this forum turn this picture right side up? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Replies

• Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,873 Captain
    They are some smart fish! Glad you got your prize!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,106 Moderator
    Glad that you got him! He give you a fight? What kind of tackle were you using?

Awesome that you're catching more and more off that dock.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    Here you go.

Nice Post by the way.

/
  • katwoman85katwoman85 Posts: 491 Officer
    Garbo wrote: »
    Here you go.

Nice Post by the way.

/
    Thanks.
    Glad that you got him! He give you a fight? What kind of tackle were you using?

Awesome that you're catching more and more off that dock.
    Yes he gave a pretty good fight. It was on light tackle 20 lb test. I need to get new line because he trashed it.
  • GarboGarbo Posts: 1,262 Officer
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I should be thanking you. You took the time to share your picture and your catch.

What else do you catch from your dock?
  • smoothiesmoothie Posts: 117 Deckhand
    Good stuff. I have been catching 3-4" babies on a sabiki in the flats trying to get pinfish.
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Nice one! You have a pretty productive dock.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
  • bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
    Those fish smell some kind of awful dont they
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    I hate the way they smell but that is good eating size.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    fillet his **** out before he gets cigutera.. :grin

nice catch!
    Garbo wrote: »
    I should be thanking you. You took the time to share your picture and your catch.

What else do you catch from your dock?

Thanks Garbo. There is a lot of fish in this canal. I have caught jack crevalles, my first snook back in May (he was 17"), lots of mangrove snappers, pinfish, puffers, blue crabs, look downs, sailor's choices, those ugly toad fish. There are other fish out there that I have not caught but seen such as tarpon, sheepshead. From time to time I see manatees go gliding by and they even lift their nose out of the water to say hello to me. When I see them I immediately pull my line out of the water. There are also other things in the canal that are rare but I have seen them line sting rays, a spotted eagle ray. Also lots of schools of mullets. Needle fish too. I think I have covered a lot here. Somebody said in this post it is a very productive dock. For sure. In hpthe very near future I think I am going to talk my boyfriend into putting dock lights up. The best bait is the live shrimp. I alo do well with squid too.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    katwoman85 wrote: »
    Thanks Garbo. There is a lot of fish in this canal. I have caught jack crevalles, my first snook back in May (he was 17"), lots of mangrove snappers, pinfish, puffers, blue crabs, look downs, sailor's choices, those ugly toad fish. There are other fish out there that I have not caught but seen such as tarpon, sheepshead. From time to time I see manatees go gliding by and they even lift their nose out of the water to say hello to me. When I see them I immediately pull my line out of the water. There are also other things in the canal that are rare but I have seen them line sting rays, a spotted eagle ray. Also lots of schools of mullets. Needle fish too. I think I have covered a lot here. Somebody said in this post it is a very productive dock. For sure. In hpthe very near future I think I am going to talk my boyfriend into putting dock lights up. The best bait is the live shrimp. I alo do well with squid too.

If you put in a dock light, ESP a nice underwater green one you will be catching TONS of snook and tarpon in no time. These lights are the most desired and productive for dock light fisherman. Snook like to hide in the shadows of the light (just beyond the light penetration) and ambush small prey. Tossing a live shrimp into the light or into the shadows will yield fish almost every time.

If you want to see something wild, put a fresh water hose into the water next time you see a manatee. They will suck on the hose like a baby bottle...always funny to watch. I apologize to any FWC presence or FS mods if the end of this post is illegal or considered "molesting" the manatee. My uncle does it all the time in the keys, and the tourists love it.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,954 Captain
    You get a boat yet? You should get a cast net and net you some of those mullet to use for cut bait, or if you can get finger mullet, you can freeline them or fish them under a cork.