Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Indian Rocks, Reddington, Maderia Beach surf question

I've been wanting to try out surf fishing for some Snook along the Gulf beaches. I've been checking out google/bing maps around the area to try and find a general spot to walk up and down the beaches for spotting some activity. It seems pretty wide open with minimal jettys or points to key in on except for the Sand Key area. I'd like to go set up a little bit before Sunrise and the swimmers start coming in. Does anyone have a suggested starting point to start exploring? IRB, Reddington, Madiera all going to hold snook around the troughs before they move up to the channels/passes?

Replies

• ChubbChubb Posts: 59 Deckhand
    I hope to heaven you get some responses.
  • FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    I would think you will find them in the places you mentioned but they might be more stacked up closer the jetties or passes. I know when I would walk the beach I would start at Sand Key and walk south (since you are not actually allowed to fish the beach area in Sand Key Park) and I would see them for at least a mile or more south of the park which is as far south as I walked. I would think if you go and the tide is right (for me, I liked a high tide) and the water was clear and not too rough you should see some snook, but getting them to bite is another story.

Good luck
  • sampsnicsampsnic Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Weather seems to be ok early morning tomorrow Chubb, I'm going to give it a shot. I'm going to give IRB a pass around Walsingham and try. I called the bait shop around the area and there have been reports of **** and snook moving up in the early morning to the pass.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    My advice:

I would stay away from empty expanses of beaches.

During day: near passes or any structure along beach.

At night: near any dock light on the inside (ICW side) and passes too.

There are always a lot of snook in and around both John's and Clearwater passes this time of year.

Fish early (near sunrise), fish late (near sunset), or after dark. Snook like moving tides.

Good luck.
  • sampsnicsampsnic Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    IRB was a bust for me today, windy south blowing wind was too much. I didn't see any bait, only hung out for about an hour before I moved and did some bay fishing around old tampa bay. Let me know if you do any fishing Chubbs, curious on your turn out.
  • ChubbChubb Posts: 59 Deckhand
    sampsnic wrote: »
    IRB was a bust for me today, windy south blowing wind was too much. I didn't see any bait, only hung out for about an hour before I moved and did some bay fishing around old tampa bay. Let me know if you do any fishing Chubbs, curious on your turn out.

Today is my son's 3rd birthday so I haven't been out today...yet. I'll keep you updated with my progress in the area.