fun things for 5yo to do PB

wpbthwpbth Posts: 443 Officer
I have some family in town this week including my 5 year old nephew, Im just looking for some fun suggestions of things he can do. We will probably do lion country safari, and the turtle sanctuary in Juno. Possible other options? zoos, aquarium (in lauderdale) I have a pool and there's always the beach, other than that Im clueless (no kids). I live in West Palm but traveling around with him is a breeze. Suggestions are welcome.
:fishing

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,217 Admiral
    Get an old refrigerator box from behind Best Buy, put it in the backyard. Tell him to hide. Should keep him busy all day.

Dig a hole and fill it with water - let him roll around in the mud for a few hours.

Give him a jar and tell him to fill it with bugs.

No need to spend money to entertain a 5 year old.
    23895.gif
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    fish is actually right on the money.

You could play with him all day in the pool. Maybe the beach as well. He'll probably remember that more than he would a trip to a muesum or something. And if you could take him fishing..............

Actually, a surf rod at the beach, and play with him there, he'll call you the greatest uncle for the rest of his life.
  • GROUPER SCOOPERGROUPER SCOOPER Posts: 1,871 Captain
    He more than likely won't be as picky as you would.He's 5......what matters to him is having some one to do something/anything with.
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Do you know anyone with a sand flea rake? Take him to the beach, walk into the gulley and rake up enough shells and rocks to fill a bucket, tossing a few pennys in there. He'll spend all day looking for the coins and occaisionally toss in more, maybe some nickels and dimes.
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
    ^^^^^^^cheap ****:nono
    Everything affects everything.You can't just change one thing.Every thing is connected.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,217 Admiral
    I took my nephews out to buy pumpkins last Halloween. We got about 10 - all different sizes. They were shocked when we got home and I suggested that we take all the pumpkins out into the street to smash them! After thinking about it for a few minutes, they decided it would be fun. We attracted quite a crowd as all the neighbors came out to watch the crazy people smashing pumpkins. I think they will always remember that day.
    23895.gif
  • wpbthwpbth Posts: 443 Officer
    fishing is a possibility, but only from the beach.
    :fishing
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,783 Admin
    Busch Wildlife Sanctuary in Jupiter.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,406 AG
    drop him off at griz's and go fishing
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    Griz, got this one right. Perfect answer for a little one.

Do most of you responding here have kids? A 5Y.O. is going to get distracted and tired easily. Something easy/simple where the adults can go with the flow when the little guy gets cranky is the best plan.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.

Do most of you responding here have kids? A 5Y.O. is going to get distracted and tired easily.

Yes.

I didn't see any one suggest doing patch work on the statue of liberty though.
  • ThreeSheetsThreeSheets Posts: 71 Deckhand
    The zoo is pretty fun and most areas are well shaded. Plus, they have a fountain play area for the kids. So if you go, put the kid in his swimsuit, tour the zoo for an hour or two, grab a bite then let him run around in the fountains. He'll fall asleep in the car on the way home. Don't forget a towel and change of clothes.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    Griz, got this one right. Perfect answer for a little one.

Do most of you responding here have kids? A 5Y.O. is going to get distracted and tired easily. Something easy/simple where the adults can go with the flow when the little guy gets cranky is the best plan.

i do, and thats why I wouldn't plan a bunch of trips. At 5 my kids would have spent all day in the pool with me. Going to the beach and putting out a surf road means they can swim, build sand castles, play, find sand flees, collect sea shells, all while they are "fishing" They'll check on the rod every 10 minutes or so if they remember. Bonus points if they get a fish on. But it doesn't matter .
  • that_guythat_guy Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Griz wrote: »
    Busch Wildlife Sanctuary in Jupiter.

X2

Its free (just donate a few bucks), perfect size place for young kids and heavily shaded with lots of trees around.