Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Popping Red and Yellow Cherries

Heard from a source that yellowtails were abundant...so took a trip with my cousin Tan and buddy Trong. Our goal was to hit up some red groupers, then move on to the snappers. We found a good show and dropped down live shrimp and a keeper RG went into the fish bag. Then we kept missing bites or the fish would simply came unbutton. Switched up to smaller jigs and that was the ticket...the yellowtails were near our RG spot. Glass minnows were every where. After bagging a few, we moved up a couple hundred yards to a ledge and came close to limiting on RGs. Both Tan and Trong was able to scratch off a few first....both got their first ever yellowtails....Tan caught his first cobia and first RG on artificial...while Trong got his first keeper and personal best RG (24").

Body Bag Count:
9 RGs, 16 yellowtails, porgies and grunts....released small cobia and jack

Equipment: 4000-6000 spinning reels, med to med-hvy rods
20-40# mainline, 15-30# leader
Bait: live shrimp (yellowtails) and frozen sardines (RGs)
Seas: 1-2'
Clarity: 20-30'
Water Temp: 87
Air Temp: 94
Wind: 5 kt

Depth: 70'
Structure: Hard Bottom and Ledges

Replies

• SpoonmanSpoonman Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Equipment: 4000-6000 spinning reels, med to med-hvy rods
    20-40# mainline, 15-30# leader
    Bait: live shrimp (yellowtails) and frozen sardines (RGs)
    Seas: 1-2'
    Clarity: 20-30'
    Water Temp: 87
    Air Temp: 94
    Wind: 5 kt

Depth: 70'
    Structure: Hard Bottom and Ledges

Thanks for all the detail stats. I hope your keeping a journal for when we hookup again with you guys again. You are really starting to dial it in when you are target fishing like that.:hail:hail
    Low Sea's, High Tides, Fish On
  • yelladevil17yelladevil17 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Spoonman wrote: »
    Thanks for all the detail stats. I hope your keeping a journal for when we hookup again with you guys again. You are really starting to dial it in when you are target fishing like that.:hail:hail

Looking forward to our next trip, Rich!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,237 Moderator
    Thanks for that informative report, 5kts...SaaaWeeet.
  • djsmallzdjsmallz Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Very nice haul you managed to get, I so want to catch my first yellowtail I'm seeing more and more being caught nowadays
    "One has to go fishing in order to catch fish"....:wink