Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red Snapper Yacht Club 6/22/2013

Took my annual middle ground trip with Miles, Sid, and Steve this past Saturday. Actually it's been more like two years since my last trip to MG. Met up at Sid's house and left the boat ramp by 5:30 am. Bait was non existent at the little Clearwater bridge and at the marker just outside the pass. Sid made a short run to an offshore bait spot and it was on. White bait, Cigars, pins, grunt. Loaded up the livewell and headed to the first stop.

It was a mixed bag of red grouper and red snapper. I got lucky and nailed an 8lb red snapper on a bucktail jig on my Pompano rod. We pushed it out thru the overcast day to 240ft and lit up the red snapper. We got lazy and just used the electric reels for most of them. Got a few nice size gags that we released. I broke out the two speed Accurate BX2-600 that I got from Mango Tango years ago and it reduced most of those 15lbs fish to 3lbers. Easy but not short fight. That thing is a winch in low gear but of course it takes forever from 240ft.

We quickly limit out and headed to the Mango spot. Got there at 7 pm and nobody was in a hurry to drop bait. After all, steak was on the menu. We grilled up some snapper also. Done eating and enjoyed the sunset seeing the moon rising opposite the setting sun.

Sun down and we proceeded to fill the fish box with Mangrove snapper and some Vermillion. No real big Mangos but it only took an hour and a half to put 40 Mangos in the box. We washed off the deck and brought out bean bags, inflatable bed, and inflatable camping pad. It was pretty calm but the wind did pick up in the morning. We all woke up at 4:30 to the sound of a scream. I thought Steve fell overboard but it was just a flying fish that hit him in the face.

We pulled anchor, secured everything and ran 20 miles inside to finish our red grouper limit. Didn't get much video but we had red grouper to 12lbs. I'll let the video and pictures filled in the details. Thank the lord for no lightning and thank you God for living here in West Central Florida.

The trip back was a rough one the first 40 miles but it laid down nicely as we got within 30 miles. Clearwater pass was packed as usual with plenty of eye candy right at the dock:

MG08_zps9edde761.jpg

MG07_zps036186d1.jpg

MG06_zpsbca43839.jpg

MG05_zpsa3cc418e.jpg

MG04_zpsd9bc0458.jpg

MG03_zps46fa1fb8.jpg

MG10_zpsb90a9ee0.jpg

MG01_zpsa56ae24e.jpg

MG09_zps48efa145.jpg

Replies

• GitchaPullGitchaPull Posts: 345 Officer
    That's what I'm talkin bout!!
  • djsmallzdjsmallz Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Wow, that's some load you got there. Also love the way you have the go pro rigged might have to use that idea been trying to figure where to mount mine
    "One has to go fishing in order to catch fish"....:wink
  • yelladevil17yelladevil17 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Dang...steaks and snappers! That's how it should always be like!
  • aquaholikaquaholik Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Is there a reason I can't edit my own thread? I tried both IE and Firefox. There is an option to reply, reply with quote, multiquote, but no edit option. I need to add a video link later.

I see an option to edit this post but no option to edit my initial post:huh.

testing.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    aquaholik wrote: »
    Is there a reason I can't edit my own thread? I tried both IE and Firefox. There is an option to reply, reply with quote, multiquote, but no edit option. I need to add a video link later.

I see an option to edit this post but no option to edit my initial post:huhe

testing.
    Some nice dinner there for sure.. Perfect size on the red's

On the edit thing.. What we have found on other forums is that the "cookie" might get corrupt from time to time..so if it were me.. I would sign out..dump cookies an cache..dump the browsing data.. Then reboot..sign back in..
    If that doesn't work..go to the top of the first thread and use the pull down menu for display and choose Linear Mode . That might also work as well
    **** you are right, logging out and then back in did the trick. I see option to edit now. Thanks again.

But then I get this:
    The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 60 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the <a href="sendmessage.php">administrator</a> to make alterations on your message.

A moderator is working on this issue for me.

Edit: finally was able to edit
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    I am an Admin, Lifetime Member and Director +3 of a large Mopar site and these issues come up all the time.. Glad to have helped..
    NoW... What are the exact numbers for that honey hole...LOL..:rotflmao

Edit...Also...Bait is pretty thick at the big Clearwater Bridge..not Sand Key.. 2 days ago I took my mix of Oatmeal and menhaden oil and chucked quarter size chunks in the light shadow line close to the southwest side and got a 1/2 net full of large threads.. Oh...An one cobia..that thrashed my net.. Moved on to the last marker before the turn to Sand Key and sabiki'd plenty of pins.. close to that flat..
    We got to the bridge at the start of the incoming and there was slack tide there. Sid wore himself out throwing 12ft net for very little bait.
  • Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Dude is that a gag grouper in the box?
    Scamp. There were two. Bottom left corner. See the extended tail. That one was about 19 inches.

Here is a better shot of that scamp at the bottom left corner of the fish box:

Scamp_zpsce3b1f7a.jpg
  • electricblueelectricblue Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I've watched that video like 5 times. I love it. Great job Lee.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,246 Moderator
    Outstanding grounds catch, only thing missing was Tammy and a grill cheese platter. Love the vid, 2 great songs. Looks like a bunch of fun, thanks for putting that together.
    I had fun putting the video clips to the music. It was hard getting started deciding how to put together 54 minutes of footage from smartphone, headcam, and camcorder. I wish I had the GoPro footage too but got impatient after the editing started to flow together.

Best part of the video was :45 secs into it when you broke the ice hauling that snapper in. Come on in the water's fine......it was a nice contrast and a shocker from the clearwater beach scenery.

Reel-Lucky, it was a fun trip. No hassle, no crowd, fishing on our own schedule and just relaxing. The huge red snappers were just icing on the cake. And Miles, great Steak! And Steve, sorry about the mini gas splash. I'll know better next time. Bring a helmet for the flying fish too next time :).
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,460 AG
    Looks like you guys had a great trip, Lee. :beer Love the vid.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • MannowarMannowar Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Great report and unbelievable video editing Lee! I didn't know you were a cinematographer!!!!!!!!

Oh by the way..........I'm BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:USA
  • TiderunnerTiderunner Posts: 52 Deckhand
    It's good to see you back Miles. Now put up some nice reports.:thumbsup
    Bluewater 2550, 300 Suzuki