Home Evinrude

2013 ETEC 115hp losing power/rpm

Gettin' Jiggy!Gettin' Jiggy! Posts: 203 Officer
I just recently picked up my new Marquesa from Hell's Bay. Since day one on the water, I have been noticing that I can only reach 5000-5150 rpm at WOT, and after a minute or two the rpm's will automatically drop to 4300 rpm while the still at WOT. If I let off the throttle and re-accelerate to WOT, the rpm's will reach 5000-5150 again, but after a minute or two, the same loss of rpm/power.

I originally thought it might be part of the automatic break-in so I didn't think much of it, but recently learned after speaking to my Evinrude dealer that the only thing the computer will do in the break-in period is run double oil. That being said, I have taken it in to the Evinrude dealer to get looked at but after doing a few things, adjusting the timing and adding epoxy to a fuel line fitting on the high pressure pump, I am still having the same problem. Also, why would a brand new engine need to have timing adjusted and fuel lines put in place correctly? Is this not done out of the factory? I'm not sure what either of those two repairs has to do with my problem, but they are the experts and I understand that they have to follow procedures to work on finding the solution.

My questions are;

What should my rpm at WOT be? (The boat only weighs 695 lbs and I'm running a
4-blade Rogue, 19 pitch if I'm not mistaken)

also,
What could be causing this problem? This has become rather frustrating to have a brand new engine, which supposedly is maintenance/trouble free, and have to be dealing with this so soon. I am trying to be patient, but it is becoming difficult with this recurring issue. I am losing time on the water...

Thanks,

Rob M.

(I will include my serial # and model # later tonite when I have it)

Replies

• BillgranBillgran Posts: 349 Deckhand
    It sounds like 2problems and both may be due to poor installation. First the engine has too big a pitch propeller. Your motor should be turning in the 5750 rpm range which means about a 15" prop and maybe the engine raised up a hole or two.

The falling off of rpm is probably a fuel delivery problem. Your dealer needs to fit the correct prop and perform a fuel delivery and fuel pressure series of tests and correct any abnormalities.

Let us know what they find.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• teampryorteampryor Posts: 218 Officer
    There are good ones and bad ones. fuel system contamination on new boats is common. also harness issues with these motors.
    Ever notice all the crap that comes out of the bilge of brand new boats? well sometimes the fuel system is just as dirty.
    And Never Ever Use Gasoline Containing Ethanol On A Boat, that is all.
  • Gettin' Jiggy!Gettin' Jiggy! Posts: 203 Officer
    Tried a different prop and the problem is fixed!
  • BillgranBillgran Posts: 349 Deckhand
    Tried a different prop and the problem is fixed!

See, something as easy as installing the correct prop makes all the difference in the world. That is why proper boat and engine setup and rigging is so important

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    You figure HB would have rigged you right.

What prop did you end up with?