Want to spearfish near Marathon

We are in Marathon for a few more days and me and my buddy are looking somewhere to spearfish using snorkel gear. Is there anywhere we can do this or anyone we can hire to go with? We have our own guns and snorkel gear just need a place to go (legally) or someone who can take us.

Replies

• bonebone Posts: 1,139 Officer
    Have someone drag you north of 7 mile bridge. You will find holes with red grouper.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Stop in captain hooks and talk to them. Some of the employees working in there know their stuff when it comes to diving and spearing
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,222 Officer
    how's the spearing in Vaca Cut?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • Family DevoceanFamily Devocean Posts: 263 Officer
    Buddah904 wrote: »
    We are in Marathon for a few more days and me and my buddy are looking somewhere to spearfish using snorkel gear. Is there anywhere we can do this or anyone we can hire to go with? We have our own guns and snorkel gear just need a place to go (legally) or someone who can take us.

Did you find anything? I'm headed down Friday and hope to do some spearfishing too.
    Formally known as 2 Daze Off

230CC Hydrasport - Family Devocean
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,867 Captain
    lowe-boy wrote: »

I see people in the cut, but it is WAY too busy with boats for my taste, and if you get caught in the current, somebody will have to chase you down with the boat before you get to Cuba or Flamingo, depending on the tidal flow.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • KeysNoleKeysNole Posts: 539 Officer
    lowe-boy wrote: »

If you are looking to spear bull sharks in water with 1 foot of visibility, Vaca Cut is the place to be.
  • EastfloridaEastflorida Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    KeysNole wrote: »
    If you are looking to spear bull sharks in water with 1 foot of visibility, Vaca Cut is the place to be.

HA! Ha! I was going to say I've heard the same thing!

I've speared outside of Coffins Patch with my boys. They can freedive to about 20'. Our last day after lobstering last miniseason we came back with 12 hogs, 2 triggers and 1 grouper. The Hogs were small at 13", but my guys had fun! DON'T go inside the restricted areas! FWC was out there and boaded us... they congratulated my sons on their catches (lobster and fish)!
    "SON-DOWN" 2013 Boston Whaler 210 Montauk
  • Buddah904Buddah904 Posts: 164 Deckhand
    I was unable to go but a gentleman named Andy on Big Pine took out my buddy and 2 young men and they got some fish
    and had a great time. Andy was a good person and fun to fish with. Maybe he will see your post(Family Devocean) and send
    you an IM. We snorkeled around our house in vaca cut when the tide slowed down and saw some fish. Never saw any Bull
    sharks just Nurse sharks.
  • Family DevoceanFamily Devocean Posts: 263 Officer
    HA! Ha! I was going to say I've heard the same thing!

I've speared outside of Coffins Patch with my boys. They can freedive to about 20'. Our last day after lobstering last miniseason we came back with 12 hogs, 2 triggers and 1 grouper. The Hogs were small at 13", but my guys had fun! DON'T go inside the restricted areas! FWC was out there and boaded us... they congratulated my sons on their catches (lobster and fish)!

How close to Coffins were you? Isn't that a restricted zone?
    Formally known as 2 Daze Off

230CC Hydrasport - Family Devocean