"On the water: Clear fouled intake or water pump?"

CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this paragraph..
"Shift the motor into neutral and engage the neutral safety switch and throttle-up in reverse. This procedure will reverse the water flow in the pumping system and can blow out sediment and other small materials that may be impeding cooling water flow and cause overheating."

:shrug
I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
"“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,959 AG
    If you are talking about an outboard.
    That would make me thing that the water pump has a transmission.
    Or changes the rotation of the motor without a restart.
    :huh
    Gestapo 

• Pat LPat L Posts: 440 Officer
    Sounds like a translation issue to me. Good ole jinglish
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,998 Captain
    Where is that language? Owners manual?
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    It sounds to me like complete lack of knowledge of how an outboard cooling system works...
    Clearly none of Yall are florida sportsman magazine subscribers.
    Ping Blair...
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,959 AG
    Now you make it a funny thread.
    You could have started with a funny post.
    Gestapo 

• ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    You mean when you put it in reverse, it doesnt suck water thru the **** tube and blow it out the intake?!? :rotflmao
    You mean when you put it in reverse, it doesnt suck water thru the **** tube and blow it out the intake?!? :rotflmao
    Mine never have but I've only had Johnson, Merc and Yamaha.. I'm REALLY hoping I misunderstand this because along with some of the other articles about mechanical functions of a boat I think they need to offer me a position as advisor to FS. ;) Or at least send me a visor. :)
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 794 Officer
    Yeah, right. It probably goes full speed in reverse too.
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,838 Admin
    CaptTater wrote: »
    Mine never have but I've only had Johnson, Merc and Yamaha.. I'm REALLY hoping I misunderstand this because along with some of the other articles about mechanical functions of a boat I think they need to offer me a position as advisor to FS. ;) Or at least send me a visor. :)

I just read where you saw that. Doesn't compute with me either.Could he be talking inboards? Never owned one so don't know.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
    I dont think it makes sense on an inboard either. The engine, which typically runs the water pump, be it inboard or outboard, only spins one direction.

Its the gear box or transmission that switches direction for forward or reverse on the drive end and I cant see how this would "reverse" the water pump.

But Ive been wrong before, so maybe someone can explain it...
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Part of the statement makes perfect since. I've done that lots of times in the Keys when floating grass gets trapped on the foot of the motor. The grass stops water from entering the intakes and the overheat warning horn sounds. Just reverse the motor for a few second and the intakes are uncovered (3 seconds later the horn stops sounding). However, the statement about the water pump is arbitrary, confusing and conflicting.
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Part of the statement makes perfect since. I've done that lots of times in the Keys when floating grass gets trapped on the foot of the motor. The grass stops water from entering the intakes and the overheat warning horn sounds. Just reverse the motor for a few second and the intakes are uncovered (3 seconds later the horn stops sounding). However, the statement about the water pump is arbitrary, confusing and conflicting.

x2 if one is talking about weeds, grass, etc

Its the

"This procedure will reverse the water flow in the pumping system and can blow out sediment and other small materials that may be impeding cooling water flow and cause overheating"

part that makes zero sense. To me anyway.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 374 Moderator
    Sorry team, editor's mental overheat alarm failed to go off …obviously the impeller doesn’t reverse itself (that would be a real problem!!). What happens in neutral is, the engine is free-running, allowing higher revs that draw more water into the cooling system, which can—sometimes—help clear blockage. In gear, reversing the PROP (again, not the impeller), can create a backdraft effect, pushing more water past the lower unit pickup vents. This can also assist in clearing debris from the cooling system.

Someone get a garden hose... My eyes need flushing!

Tater come by and get your new hat.
    Jeff Weakley
    I hear I need a special giant sized hat. I agree with your explanation above especially with grass or plastic bags. Put it in reverse and race it up certainly clears that.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    I hear I need a special giant sized hat. I agree with your explanation above especially with grass or plastic bags. Put it in reverse and race it up certainly clears that.

:Spittingcoffee

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Now that that's settled, can we get back to Paula Dean or Zimmerman or Hernandez or DOMA or ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    Now that that's settled, can we get back to Paula Dean or Zimmerman or Hernandez or DOMA or ???

Sure..
    Paula Deen ---- doing great and will be fine. Record pre orders of her book. She should have liked like the libs do.. How many times do you think Biden, Hitlary or Obama used the N word?
    Zimmerman ---- just won because he's a "crazy asz cracker" or something.. and the attorney was called "retart(d)ed"
    DOMA---- Destruction Of aMericA? Bill Clinton Applauds the Repeal of the Law he signed because he wants his wife to continue his nonsense.
  • mjrodriguez300mjrodriguez300 Posts: 141 Officer
    is it pissing?...the outboard?...
    is it pissing?...the outboard?...

eleventeen
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Tater talks weird. A LOT
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
    eleventeen

twentyfifty tatercakes
    GT Fish wrote: »
    Tater talks weird. A LOT

Had as much to do with the thread as the comment I replied to.
    So much wisdom.