Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Your thoughts on climate change

BodineBodine Senior MemberTallahasseePosts: 3,108 Captain
OK, so today the potus, declares war on climate change.
What are your thoughts.

For the sake of argument, lets assume it is happening and man made (lmao).
Unless you can get the rest of the world on board(7/8's of landmass and pop), why would you propose taxing
your own residents and making their energy costs rise exponentially?

So, lets say you get the above done, how long will it take to turn the tide? Years, decades, centuries?

For the record, I know we can not affect climate change on a national level, let alone on a global level.

I would like to hear FSUwxmans views, but I will say in advance, I have built homes for 2 separate PHD's in
meteorology who say it is bunk. One of which I am close friends with even though is his a die hard liberal
to the point we dont talk politics until right before we part company for the evening,,,,,,,,,it is a hoot.
He is books smart, and a good guy,,,well aside from his politics.
F the feds

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,877 Moderator
    I can not make a statement that will end well. So mum's the word.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • BodineBodine Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 3,108 Captain
    chicken
    F the feds
  • cprcpr Senior Member dwcPosts: 9,299 Admiral
    When science can tell us why mullet jump or get a 5 day wind forecast right, I'll start to listen to GW predictions. But for now, it's garbage in garbage out. There are too many variables that haven't been considered to give an accurate prediction of the future, say 20 years out. And older models that the alarmists like Al Gore continue to use are nothing but a bad joke and a scam.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,877 Moderator
  • trout069trout069 Senior Member look at gps and tell mePosts: 5,889 Admiral
    Well supposedly for 33 years i have contributed to it.In some small(very,very small) way humans have messed the planet up.But it can repair itself.Climate change is nothing but a big time scam by a extremely left wing fringe.It found root with algore and now parts of it are cleaning the working folks bank accounts in many ways.US citizens are penelized for our standard of living.The stupid refrigerent crap in the Montreal Protocol screws us!R-22 is 15 bucks a pound today,might be 20 bucks 2 morrow.The hole in the ozone has not grown bigger as predicted.Every form of manufactoring that has smoke coming from it has to install some kind of gizmo,whether needed or not to insure that smoke wont hurt folks.We have huge coal reserves but cant burn it here for power.Bull hunkey,you can burn coal clean,cost a little more.No lets use natrual gas and jack the price up to common folks.Guess what?We have plenty of it too!I am an outdoorsman and respect nature,but this crap from trust fund hippies drives me nuts.Soapbox collapsed,I am done.
  • reel estatereel estate Senior Member Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Thoughts,It gets hot in the summer and cool to nipply in the winter...
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Senior Member Posts: 5,570 Admiral
    I read somewhere in the last year or two that we humans are very vain to think we are causing any change in our climate or could make the slightest difference in what is going to happen with or without us. The article went on to say something about the earth and it's climate have gone through many changes long before we humans made our tiny insignificant footprint on this planet.

No we are not causing any "global warming" or climate change. I also believe we are too full of ourselves if we think we have or can.
  • RockhaulersRockhaulers Banned Posts: 250 Officer
    Nuke china and India killing all them billions of people and climate change is over today by addind dust to the atsmophere....hand me the football. War over in 40 minutes for the button pushed.
  • KnuckleheadKnucklehead Senior Member Posts: 1,418 Officer
    Nuke china and India killing all them billions of people and climate change is over today by addind dust to the atsmophere....hand me the football. War over in 40 minutes for the button pushed.
    Yeah, that's real pragmatic, but you're right about not having to worry about climate change if that were done... because not many folks would be left on earth after a global nuclear war.
    Don-Knotts-don-knotts-22921303-197-200.jpg
  • dstockwelldstockwell Senior Member Posts: 13,833 AG
    Nuke china and India killing all them billions of people and climate change is over today by addind dust to the atsmophere....
    hand me the football. War over in 40 minutes for the button pushed.
    Well since they have nukes to send back this makes sense. :willynilly
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • MulletMullet Moderator Posts: 2,432 Moderator
    Carlin said it well:
    "“We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don’t even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I’m tired of this crap. I’m tired of freaking Earth Day. I’m tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren’t enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don’t give a **** about the planet. Not in the abstract they don’t. You know what they’re interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They’re worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me."
  • anejo22anejo22 Senior Member palm beachPosts: 1,511 Officer
    i call bs on the warming.but all for clean air and water,and ways we can make it better without killing jobs.
  • cc13cc13 Senior Member Posts: 551 Officer
    I believe the climate has changed many times over millennia, without human influence. Our scientists know more now. To the extent we contribute it, although not the sole influence, we should do what we can to minimize our influence. If,that means taking action, we should try. I don't believe that "no one else is doing it, so why should I?" Is a reason not too.

Because my neighbors don't recycle, doesn't mean I shouldn't. Because my neighbors smoke, doesn't mean I should.

I don't believe climate change is bunk..there is far too much loss of ice, glacier, mountain ice etc being documented. It is changing.

Actually, I believe my own carbon foot print is pretty darn big, so if we can stem this without me giving up my stuff, I'm all for it. That is is hypocritical side of my thinking.
  • RockhaulersRockhaulers Banned Posts: 250 Officer
    Do none of you understand how nuking works, are you ****? China and India are nothing when it comes to nukes. We just need to explain to the russians that them birds aint for them. Jesus, havent any of you people done anything in your lives?
  • MathGeekMathGeek Senior Member LouisianaPosts: 537 Officer
    Global warming is one of those theories that violates several centrally important principles of the scientific method.

Authoritative pronouncements replace the ability to reliably and repeatably predict future observations of experiments or natural events.

Declaring the products of ordinary production to be "pollution" is a powerful pseudoscience that is more about manipulation and control than it is about pollution and sound environmental science.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • troutman561troutman561 Senior Member Land O' LakesPosts: 575 Officer
    cc13 wrote: »
    I don't believe climate change is bunk..there is far too much loss of ice, glacier, mountain ice etc being documented. It is changing.

Sort of like the human influence that caused the receding of the glaciers that formed the great plains, the Great Lakes, etc. Oh, wait a second...
    The climate is changing, always has and will. The debate is how much has man caused. Personally, i think it's likely another $ grab.
    Sort of like the human influence that caused the receding of the glaciers that formed the great plains, the Great Lakes, etc. Oh, wait a second...

:grin
  • cc13cc13 Senior Member Posts: 551 Officer
    What's the harm in believing that we may have something to do with it? That's the point I've never understood.
  • BodineBodine Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 3,108 Captain
    cc13 wrote: »
    What's the harm in believing that we may have something to do with it? That's the point I've never understood.

We very well may, but the notion that without equal participation from the whole planet that we would make an appreciable change is bogus.
    F the feds
    Bodine wrote: »
    We very well may, but the notion that without equal participation from the whole planet that we would make an appreciable change is bogus.

And we will never get that cooperation.......only the "bill" to pay for our efforts.
  • micci_manmicci_man Senior Member Somewhere in FLPosts: 15,001 AG
    Ever heard the term about a lake "turning itself over"? Lakes constantly change and so will the earth, in good and bad ways. Do humans have a part in it? Probably some I'm sure. I do agree a small part of the population can't make a change for the best without the rest of the world. We may not be able to make a change at all. God has a plan and is in control, I'm just along for the ride until my number is called.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • tapatetapate Senior Member SowegaPosts: 5,263 Admiral
    I hate we are throwing valuable dollars that have a running % on em after stuff that won't make much of an impact. They sure could be used in other arenas at this point.
  • BeachRum1962BeachRum1962 Senior Member Tallahassee/Timber IslandPosts: 162 Officer
    Bodine wrote: »
    For the record, I know we can not affect climate change on a national level, let alone on a global level.

I would like to hear FSUwxmans views, but I will say in advance, I have built homes for 2 separate PHD's in
    meteorology who say it is bunk.
    Apparently, the vast majority (97-99%) of climate scientists (i.e., climatologists not meteorologists) believe it and have pretty convincing empirical evidence to support their views (see hockey stick graph). I imagine the meteorologists you mentioned are in the minority as well. I'll take my chances on the scientists who are experts in the field rather than politicians who cry "what global warming?" in response to anecdotal May snowstorms. Now what we should do about it if anything is probably where you were headed with this thread. DAMFINO but I'm doing my small part though. Recently repowered my 1988 Johnson to a clean burning (relatively speaking) etec. The Johnson was a major contributor to greenhouse gasses in the Big Bend.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Senior Member Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    I have more concern for the inevitable ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    I think I do not really know how much man is responsible, and I'm fairly certain most all here don't either, but to think with the world population we have, and the amount of emissions from fossil fuel being puked, to say no way man has any bearing on climate change is naive and likely the result of a political talking point.

That said, what is being proposed sounds like big time overkill, and a $ grab, people like Al Gore are positioned to make billions.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Senior Member PanhandlePosts: 6,153 Admiral
    I think I do not really know how much man is responsible, and I'm fairly certain most all here don't either, but to think with the world population we have, and the amount of emissions from fossil fuel being puked, to say no way man has any bearing on climate change is naive and likely the result of a political talking point.

That said, what is being proposed sounds like big time overkill, and a $ grab, people like Al Gore are positioned to make billions.

^this^
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • tapatetapate Senior Member SowegaPosts: 5,263 Admiral
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I have more concern for the inevitable ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!

You aren't ready? Start the show "The Walking Dead" from scratch and see what its gonna take!
    The earth will heal itself. Like the Gulf is healing itself from the spill. If in healing itself the earth has to eliminate all of us humans it will do so..........and start over. We humans are but a blip on the big "radar screen" of the history of this planet. Like it or not we are relatively insignificant.