Home Shimano

Review of Shimno Symetre 3000 FJ Reels for Inshore Use

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 502 Officer
I've had eight Shimano Symetre 3000 FJ reels in use for about 60 fishing days so far, so I thought this was enough to offer some constructive review. Four of these are paired with 8' medium heavy Ugly Stik Catfish rods, and four are paired with 7' medium heavy Ugly Stik spinning rods. These rods are the mainstay of inshore and freshwater fishing in my boat and are used by my children and guests as well as my wife and myself. Until recently, they were all spooled with 30 lb power pro (~150 yards), but we recently converted two of them to 50 lb power pro to have more confidence cranking down the drag and horsing bigger fish away from structure. These two hold ~120 yards of 50 lb power pro.

The casting distance of these rigs is amazing with a 1-2 oz sinker and a relatively aerodynamic bait. It is not uncommon to only have 50 yards of line left on the spoon as the bait soaks. Castability with 1/4-1/2 oz spoons and jig heads is ok, usable but not astounding. Line lay and casting are flawless with no propensity for tangling, wind knots, or other fouling.

The reels have held up well for their first 60 fishing trips. Usually a long rides are involved with the rods bouncing around in the boat or car. Also, no one babies the reels in the boat, and reels often get tossed around a bit as everyone scrambles to get the lines in and get things out of the way for someone fighting a big fish. The structural integrity and functionality of the reels remains as good as new, and the only wear appears to be cosmetic from routine handling.

These rods have been in service since 2006-2007 and each rod is on its 2nd or 3rd reel (another brand). I definitely plan on sticking with the 8' Ugly Stik Catfish Medium Heavy if these ever need replacing.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• bantam1bantam1 Posts: 541 Officer
    The lighter lures will cast better with a different rod. I suspect the rods you are using are a little too heavy for the lighter stuff.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    Glad the combo's are working for you. In the future you may want to consider putting those reels on some nicer, light weight rods like teremars and lighten up the line to no more than 30lbs braid. I understand the need to have rods you can hand off to inexperienced anglers and not worry about them breaking. However, the performance of those reels is bogged down badly on those rods. I routinely catch bull reds on 3000 size shimano reels, medium to med/heavy teremar rods, and 8-15lbs braid (20-30lbs braid if around structure).

Good luck!
    Alex
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    bantam1 wrote: »
    The lighter lures will cast better with a different rod. I suspect the rods you are using are a little too heavy for the lighter stuff.

+1

Sounds like the rod
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    bantam1 wrote: »

True.

The Symetre 3000 is a relatively light reel IMHO. I've got mine spooled with 10# Invisibraid on a 7' medium St Croix rod. I needed something that could throw 1/8 and 1/16 oz jigs and plastics while having enough drag to catch redfish. I can cast for both distance and accuracy with that combo.

I don't think I'd try 50# Power Pro on that reel and expect good results throwing light jigs on an Ugly Stick.

If you're building a boat rod that can take some abuse and you want to use the Ugly Sticks you already have then I think you'd be better served with a heavier reel that is designed for the heavier line weights.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod