Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

New Grill Ideas

team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,741 Captain
Does anyone have this grill? It's a Weber Performer series, either the Gold or the Platinum. The only difference between the two being the Performer has 'gas assist' to light the coals. I'd be perfectly ok with saving $40 on the Gold model, and having to use either a chimney or lighter fluid ... But I like the gas assist starter on the Platinum so the wife could have the coals ready by the time I arrive home during the week.

I'm not dead-set on this grill by any means, but I will not consider a gas grill. I haven't missed my old gas grill one bit during the last 10 years. My current grill, which is 8 years old, is finally falling apart :cry I really grew to love my [current] grill because I can raise/lower the coals about 4", and it has held up well directly in the elements, without a cover, for this long. So, I'm open to thoughts on other charcoal grills as well.
"Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers

Replies

• coldaircoldair Posts: 11,490 AG
    We have it with the gas assists and we love it
    169304.GIF
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,848 AG
    Get a Kamodo Kooker
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    How long before "having the coals ready"
    turns into "having the steaks ready?"
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    looks great, hard to beat a weber (try to get the made in USA model), my $.2 set the chimney up in the morning and ask your wife to light it 15 minutes before you get home and save the extra money
    does she take out what you're grilling to bring up the temp too?
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Get this:
    60-second-charcoal-starter-xl.jpg

starter assist just seems like another thing to break after 6 months.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,817 AG
    I have just the plain old Weber Charcoal grill. Love it. However, I've never heard anything at all bad about the Big Green Egg. Except the price of course.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    Anyone watch BarBQ U?

He has some large nice charcoal grills that I can never seem to find anywhere. Big grates with hinged sides, etc.

Mail order I guess.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,817 AG
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Anyone watch BarBQ U?

Yep, good show. So is/was The Primal Grill by the same guy. Only issue that I have with some of his recipes is that I'm not rich. He uses some mack-daddy ingredients when he cooks.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    pupraiser wrote: »
    Get this:

Is that an attachment for the shop vac?
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    Cool... I have the previous generation of that grill, where the gas assist is standard. I like it that way. It is a little quick to get the coals up to speed that a traditional chimney starter. I usually only use the charcoal baskets with this grill. The little propane canisters don't last too long though.

Oddly enough, I curb scored the original Weber Performer with the stainless steel work surface, and the big 5lb propane tank. The kettle is all rotted out, so the next project is too move my kettle over to that frame and rehab the the gas system. These grills have a bit of a collector following. If you are into charcoal grilling, this is the way to go.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 7,091 Admiral
    pupraiser wrote: »
    Get this:

I think Tater invented something similar to that.
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,741 Captain
    Get a Kamodo Kooker

Why?
    How long before "having the coals ready"
    turns into "having the steaks ready?"

Hopefully, never … That would leave me no time to have a proper drink before eating dinner
    frank wrote: »
    looks great, hard to beat a weber (try to get the made in USA model), my $.2 set the chimney up in the morning and ask your wife to light it 15 minutes before you get home and save the extra money
    does she take out what you're grilling to bring up the temp too?

I’m pretty sure that all Weber grills are made in the USA, but some of the components are not. And all meat comes out of the fridge at least an hour before it goes on the grill.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Anyone watch BarBQ U?

He has some large nice charcoal grills that I can never seem to find anywhere. Big grates with hinged sides, etc.

Mail order I guess.

This model grill comes with the hinge-sided grate and the charcoal baskets.
  • SandgnatSandgnat Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I have had one with the gas starter for about four years and love it!
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,139 Admiral
    If you are going to light charcoals with propane, do yourself a favor and get a propane torch...

($20 at Harbor Freight)
    image_11749.jpg
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,598 AG
    Why?

Hopefully, never … That would leave me no time to have a proper drink before eating dinner

I’m pretty sure that all Weber grills are made in the USA, but some of the components are not. And all meat comes out of the fridge at least an hour before it goes on the grill.

This model grill comes with the hinge-sided grate and the charcoal baskets.

Get the propane starter. It's easy and FAST.
    Vote for the other candidate
    Why?.

A much less expensive version of the BGE, and does just about as good of a job.
    got ants? wrote: »
    If you are going to light charcoals with propane, do yourself a favor and get a propane torch...

($20 at Harbor Freight)
    image_11749.jpg

I'd be running around the neighborhood with the tank strapped on my back acting like I was a flame thrower guy in Vietnam if I had one of those things. I should probably stick with my chimney.
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,741 Captain
    At lunch today I saw a BGE, the average sized one, that was assembled and ready to be picked up. The invoice on it said $1,300.

That was not as bad as a small charcoal grill I saw in the store. I asked how much and she said $1,200!! I honestly could not believe it. But, the sales person said it does have a lifetime warranty ... Broilmaster Independance.

Question: What are the benefits of going with a BGE style of grill?
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 7,998 Admiral
    TG do you know anyone around the Atlanta area? I have the hook up on the Vision Komodo grills:wink
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    It's not so much the grill, it's what you put in it and how you use it.

I've had some fine meals with something like this, but not as fancy.

Washing machine.

IMG_2545.JPG
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 12,224 AG
    Thats a pretty sweet design. I dig it, but I would not own one since its a charcoal grill. Sweet though
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    I have this thing it's a King Griller by Char Griller....and it's a Komodo style cooker....I call it my BGE wanna-be.

After having many different charcoal grill, this thing hasn't dissapointed yet, and you can cook and or BBQ anything you want on here.

The draw is the temperature controlled cooking, and with lump charcoal, once your done you just shut the dampers and it goes out and you can use what is left over next time...

I've done ribs, boston butt, plain old hot dogs and hamburgers, and they cook a fantastic steak (because you can get the temps as high as you want also)...have also cooked cedar plank fish on it.

Picked it up at Gander for 250 bucks...and it's worth every penny !!

img0463lx.jpg

img0465hpk.jpg
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,483 AG
    I discovered these a few years back. In fairness they are not a long lived product,,, I am on my 3rd. That said it has both charcoal and propane options. mine has both a smoker and side firebox along with a side burner. You can cook lots of food using different methods at the same time. I really like them.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Sea Snake got the Komodo kooker. Less expensive BGE. That will be my next grill/smoker.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Meat cooked on the BGE (& less well known brands) retains more moisture... Even if you forget wth you're doing & have an extra beer & overcook it a little, the outcome is still very tasty & MOIST(compared to other grills I've owned)... My gas grill is now only used for heating up the cast iron skillet for blackening...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!