Home General Hunting

Let FWC know how you feel about 2nd phase alligator.

SingleshotSingleshot Posts: 32 Deckhand
http://myfwc.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/5/29

Lots of people are complaining about the system failure while applying for the 2nd phase permit. Follow the link above, it's a very short survey and there is a place to leave comments. If enough people complain directly to FWC, maybe things will be improved in the future.

Good luck to all who drew tags and better luck luck next time to those who did not.

Replies

• Fish AddictFish Addict Posts: 686 Officer
    submited a complaint. Thanks for the link
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 265 Deckhand
    Just submitted.

The phase I and phase II alligator permit process is absolutely horrible. I've been unsuccessful in phase I for 2 years in a row and have had to take my chances in phase II. This year your site was overwhelmed and it took me over 20 minutes to finally get in but by then all the lakes and rivers I was interested in were gone and I had to settle for a county permit.

If you added an application fee, that would cut down on the number of applicants who don't pick up their permit in phase I. Currently I know several who put in an application for everyone in their family, but only pick up 1 or 2 permits, even if they were all successful. Preference points should also be used for folks who were unsuccessful in the past.

There should be an extra phase between I and II. This phase is open only to those who applied in phase I and were unsuccessful, and it's still a random drawing.

Just a few suggestions, there must be something FWC can do to make phase I and II better.
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    Mike, FYI, phase II IS only for those who were unsuccessful or who applied but did not purchase a permit in phase I.

From the FWC Alligator Permit General Information Page:
    Issuance Method: Statewide Alligator Harvest Program permits are issued by random drawing during Phase I. Once the drawing is conducted, successful applicants must purchase their permits by the specified deadline. Permits not purchased by the deadline (See Application Dates & Deadlines below) will be issued on a first come first served basis during Phases II and III. Phase II is open only to customers who do not already have a permit from Phase I. Phase III is open for everyone, including those who already have permits from Phase I or II. You may obtain additional tags for hunts that have not filled during Phase III.
    Exemptions: You must have an Alligator Trapping License or an Alligator Trapping Agents License to participate in these hunts. Non-participating passengers in a boat with alligator trappers are not required to be licensed.
    Restrictions: You may submit one Statewide Alligator Hunt application and receive up to one permit in Phase I or Phase II. You can only apply in Phase II if you have not already been awarded a Statewide Alligator hunt permit during Phase I. You may receive multiple permits in Phase III. Successful applicants in Phase I must purchase their permit by the deadline or it will be forfeited and reissued in Phase II and III. No person who has been convicted of any violation of s. 379.409 or s. 379.3015 or the rules of the commission relating to the illegal taking of crocodilian species shall be eligible for issuance of a license for a period of 5 years subsequent to such conviction. In the event such violation involves the unauthorized taking of an endangered crocodilian species, no license shall be issued for 10 years subsequent to the conviction. Any false statement will render the permit void, and will subject the applicant to prosecution under applicable law. At the end of the hunting season, unused tags must be returned and/or alligator harvest reports must be submitted. Failure to comply, may result in exclusion from participation in the statewide alligator program for a period of one year.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    He meant that the phase ll should be a random drawing! not a free for all ,grab it if your computer is fast enough.
  • jpatz18jpatz18 Posts: 212 Deckhand
    If you were picked in phase 1 and didn't purchase it you could apply in phase 2 I know someone who gave up a week 4 and picked up a week 2 closer to home in there name.
    Affordable Alligator Hunting Equipment

http://www.alligatorhuntingequipment.com

Like us on Facebook!
    huntmstr wrote: »
    Mike, FYI, phase II IS only for those who were unsuccessful or who applied but did not purchase a permit in phase I.

From the FWC Alligator Permit General Information Page:

Notice in my original post "applied in phase I AND were unsuccessful". If you applied in phase I, got your week #4 selection, DON'T pick up your permit, then you CAN'T apply in phase II and try to get a different week.

In order to apply in this extra phase after phase I, BOTH criteria must be met.
    - Applied in phase I
    - Unsuccessful in phase I
  • MosquitohombreMosquitohombre Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the link. I applied during Phase I was awarded a permit, but was charged out of state prices. I am military and stationed in Florida. I spoke with FWC for a long time. I spent 3 hours at the tax collector's office with a tax agent on the phone with FWC. The folks at FWC refused to let me purchase the tags at resident rates. I was told thank you for your service and then told to pay three times as much for a license. I love Florida and appreciate the chance to be stationed here and I am greatful the state allows military members stationed in Florida to buy licenses at resident rates. I just wish the FWC would uphold their regulations.
    mikefm58 wrote: »
    Notice in my original post "applied in phase I AND were unsuccessful". If you applied in phase I, got your week #4 selection, DON'T pick up your permit, then you CAN'T apply in phase II and try to get a different week.

In order to apply in this extra phase after phase I, BOTH criteria must be met.
    - Applied in phase I
    - Unsuccessful in phase I

Thanks for this info mike. In reference to my situation of being charged non-resident rates, the FWC told me not to purchase my phase I permit and try during phase II. More great advice from the representative I spoke with at FWC. It turns out I probably wouldn't have been even able to apply during phase II.
  • cfthcfth Posts: 422 Deckhand
    That is not currently the case. Only how Mike would like to see it.

Currently if you let a tag go in phase 1 you can pick up one in phase 2.
    Capt. Grayson Padrick
    www.centralfloridatrophyhunts.com
    Alligator Hunts, Alligator Hunting Equipment, Alligator and Wild Game Processing
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    Thanks for the link. I applied during Phase I was awarded a permit, but was charged out of state prices. I am military and stationed in Florida. I spoke with FWC for a long time. I spent 3 hours at the tax collector's office with a tax agent on the phone with FWC. The folks at FWC refused to let me purchase the tags at resident rates. I was told thank you for your service and then told to pay three times as much for a license. I love Florida and appreciate the chance to be stationed here and I am greatful the state allows military members stationed in Florida to buy licenses at resident rates. I just wish the FWC would uphold their regulations.

That's a Shame they couldn't get there act together with this issue.
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
    That's a Shame they couldn't get there act together with this issue.

Thanks man. I'll get over it. I'm just grateful to get a chance to hunt gators!

Wow, I am surprised. Based on what you posted, you pass the Florida residency requirements. This from FWC's website:

For the purposes of hunting or fishing in Florida, a Resident is defined as:
    Any person who has resided in Florida for 6 continuous months prior to the issuance of a license and who claims Florida as his/her primary residence; or Any member of the United States Armed Forces who is stationed in Florida (includes spouse and dependent children residing in the household).

Did you show them this?
    mikefm58 wrote: »
    Wow, I am surprised. Based on what you posted, you pass the Florida residency requirements. This from FWC's website:

For the purposes of hunting or fishing in Florida, a Resident is defined as:
    Any person who has resided in Florida for 6 continuous months prior to the issuance of a license and who claims Florida as his/her primary residence; or Any member of the United States Armed Forces who is stationed in Florida (includes spouse and dependent children residing in the household).

Did you show them this?

I spoke with them at length about this and so did the tax agent at the tax collectors office. FWC knew I qualified as a resident and told me so. My interpretation is that they could not figure a way in the system to charge me resident rates. For some reason, the online license and registration system will not list me as a resident (I've spoke with FWC agents about this). So instead of putting in a little extra work and finding a way to charge me resident rates, they just defaulted to what the online system spit out and said you have to pay non-resident rates. To me, it felt like FWC had no control over the online license system due to a contract vendor running the online system. Plus, I've been stationed here for close to three years. I pay taxes just like everyone else, but unfortunately I don't get the same benefits as a resident. Sorry for the long rant, the whole thing was very frustrating.