Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Making Due with what I have

bonefishdickbonefishdick BannedPosts: 67 Deckhand
I was just reading an article in a magazine about Snook fishing and Sanibel Island and the three flies mentioned were the Norms Crystal Schminnow, Johnson's Petticoat Streamer and Gibby's DT Special.

I have plenty of Schminnows, and the Petticoat did not appeal to me but I will still tie some ( I may be dumb but I'm not Stupid )and then when looking for the pattern on line for the DT Special I found a variation on line that appealed to me and decided to tie a few.

Since I have very little natural materials anymore, I usually use synthetics I did find some Marabou and a few chartreuse saddle hackle's and came up with these.

I will be investing in some white Saddles sooonbecause the fly made from them just looks awesome

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Senior Member Posts: 4,845 Captain
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Senior Member Posts: 516 Officer
    Those are going to crush the snook! They look awesome and should do the trick nicely for the beach snook and anything you may find under the lights or aound the bridges/docks at night. If you have time, tie a few with weed guards on them and toss em' back under the bushes. Home made variations with synthetics was always the ticket for me. Let's see some pics of the results after you throw them...
  • Hooked-UpHooked-Up Junior Member Lakeland, FLPosts: 27 Greenhorn
    Great looking flies.... let us know how they do!
    As the son of the son of a sailor....... I am addicted to salt.
    SUPPORT CCA
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Senior Member Stuart, Fla., Veracruz, Mx.Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Another material that is natural, inexpensive and deadly in many applications, is rabbit fur. Natural and white. It has a great action in the water, compresses when wet for easier casting, and is fairly durable to boot. I had been using fur in lieu of feathers in my tarpon flies for years. Then more recently for my bonefish and permit flies. I can report that they work for both species.
    .......Rick
  • mtd885mtd885 Senior Member Hallandale Beach/Cudjoe Key FlPosts: 1,159 Officer
    Great looking flies! I used those with great success on the beach when I lived in Naples years ago. As Rick mentioned there are some fur products that work well with those patterns. I use Arctic Fox and Finn Raccoon as well as Rabbit.