Great Bimini Trip

dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
We wanted to get one last family trip in before school starts and headed over to Bimini. After ALOT of effort, got the boat ready and we shoved off Friday around noon.(btw, batteries work better when you have the leads hooked up the right way:grin) Crossing over was great with a light west wind. We got checked into Bluewater and JR had his usual grin for us.

We went out and headed north to do a little lobstering. This was going to be the boys first real attempt at bagging their own for the first time so we looked for some shallower areas. We found some nice spots in about 12' and set to work.

Here they are getting instruction
P1030288.jpg

Success! Jacks first solo bug
P1030290.jpg

Gregg's first!
P1030293.jpg

P1030299.jpg

Dinner that night was tuna sashimi and lobster
P1030284.jpg

The rest of the trip we did some yellowtailing, lobstering, conching and deep dropping. We pretty much caught everything we set out for, no monsters except for the conch. Patrick at Seacrest told me that ours were the biggest conch he'd seen all year.

P1030285.jpg

the tax man
P1030286.jpg

P1030287.jpg

very nice slipper lobster
P1030302.jpg

end of the day
P1030307.jpg

some very nice conch, some of the best I've caught
P1030310.jpg

while cleaning fish, Jack landed a real nice horse eye jack
P1030315.jpg

P1030328.jpg

Overall, we had excellent weather, caught all we wanted and the boys both got a real good dose of catching lobster on their own. It was an excellent trip and a great way to finish off the summer.

Replies

• GRSCGRSC Posts: 939 Officer
    Great to see the kids involved... as usual in your reports. :applause
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • the other tomthe other tom Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Awesome report there Doug, glad you had good weather!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    doug, that's a great report. your kids look like they had a blast and their parents surely enjoyed watching them. great memories.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,778 Captain
    :beer
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    Nice report. Fun to see your kids growing through the yearly reports. Congrats on the lobsters.
  • whitegatorwhitegator Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Great report and nice pics!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,844 Captain
    great report! cool to pass the fishing bug onto the kids
  • edkedk Posts: 38 Deckhand
    It was good to see you and your family over there Doug. I think you should have posted pictures of the horse eye release :Rockon I couldn't get to my camera in time!

We had a slow weekend of fishing but as always had a great time.

Ed
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    edk wrote: »
    I think you should have posted pictures of the horse eye release :Rockon I couldn't get to my camera in time!

Ed

almost forgot, after a tough fight, we tossed the jack back in and it went belly up. I jumped in and started swimming with him to get some water moving through his gills. After a few minutes, he kicked and swam away with just his pride bruised. The thought of the 8' reef shark that was there the day before eating the same yellowtail scraps that I just threw in the water did cross my mind, but couldn't let him die for no reason. All is well that ends well.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Great trip Doug. Can't believe how much your kids have grown in just the past couple years. So cool to see them progress with their experiences on these Bahamian trips.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Nice report Doug and ditto on the kids growing up! Do you ever hear from Plantman anymore??
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,150 AG
    I'm reading this report in Tavernier with edk!! Thanks for posting it!

The boys are getting tall!
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,410 Officer
    Great report with photos Doug. On Friday I stopped at Bluewater to see if I could find you but no luck. I’m sure you guys were out having fun. By your report it’s obvious you did! This is the kind of report I enjoy reading (family report with the kids). That’s awesome your boys got their 1st lobsters. In the lobster department we struggled but did great on conch and OK in the reef fish department. Just like you all we had a great trip too.

Great post Doug.
    Brian
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Looks like a blast. I'm ready to head back over. The chain link at that cleaning table is new. I wonder what that is about?
  • TeanmTzHerTeanmTzHer Posts: 100 Officer
    Nice trip guys. Great to see a father spend time teaching his sons what he has learned over the years.
    If you aint fishin you aint Livin!
    DSCF2380-1.jpg
  • Jagsare1Jagsare1 Posts: 211 Deckhand
    Nice report Doug. The wife and I did not want kids so we didn't have them but I always said I would like to find a local kid who just wants to learn how to fish. I would be happy to pass along what little I know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yachteryachter Posts: 182 Officer
    Awesome, I can't wait for my boy to get a little older to hit lobster. Actually, I can wait, he's already growing up too fast :)
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,173 Officer
    great report
  • oldtimeroldtimer Posts: 509 Officer
    Great report, photos, memories.

These are the things that last a lifetime, and ensure that the sport we all love will continue as our kids share this with
    their children, and introduce them to the simple joys of boating/fishing/snorkeling etc.

Well done on all levels.

In todays world we need more real stories like yours
  • heatzheatz Posts: 104 Officer
    Doug,
    I have been away from the Forum for a while after I sold the Intrepid. My 13yr son just got scuba certified over the summer and convinced me we need a boat. So, I found an old Tollycraft 44 with newer engines and am getting her ready for the islands. The pics you post of your family adventures has inspired me! Hope to see you over there some time soon.
    Eric