Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Past few days at POI

Capt.AWCapt.AW Senior MemberFort PiercePosts: 937 Officer
Just got back from a four day excursion down to POI. I arrived early afternoon Wednesday and did a quick trip with the FIL to familiarize myself with his electronics. My BIL, who was my "guide", for the next two day arrived alter in the evening. Unfortunately he hasn't fished in over 6 years so it was the blind leading the blind for the next two days:grin

Thursday morning we set out nice and early around 7:40-8ish(did I mention he likes to sleep in) to our long idle down down the canal. Once in the bay we played leap frog from spot to spot catching some small snapper, snook, ladyfish, and jacks. It was a lot of action just nothing with any size. As we worked our way to the outside we finally struck gold and went 7 for 8 on redfish up 25". By this time we had several rain clouds around us and since it was "late" in the day...2ish or so we called it quits.

Friday we had another "early' start. We tried some different areas and had some moderate success but planned on going back to the "honey hole" when the tide got right again. At one of our stops I saw a huge redfish(40"+/-) and a 30"er paired up swimming along some mangrove roots. Neither of us we ready and before we could consider making a cast they blew up and hauled butt out of there. We got back to the redfish hole and I picked one slot up on a gulp. Next cast I pulled a small trout from a few trees up. At this point the weather is deteriorating but I have 3 out of 4 for a grand slam. We decided to head back since he has some things he has to take care of this afternoon. After dropping him off I start looking around for some of the resident poons that hang around the community. Three docks later I landed a 5lber and caught my first ever grand slam.

Saturday it was me, FIL, MIL, and better half. I knew the day was going to be mostly snapper fishing around the mangroves since that's what her Mom likes to do. Personally it's not my cup of tea, but I roll with the punches. Naturally we find a decent pod of big greenies and I wrap a net around 5 dozen or so. I was hoping that that would be enough to get her Dad to deviate from the mini snapper bonaza. But.....unfortunately looking for snook or something with shoulders isn't as fun as catching 8-12" mangroves:banghead

Today it was just the FIL and I. He wasn't feeling very well but we gave it a go and hoped for the best. We ended up getting a few small reds, small snook, one big sheepshead, and two small trout. There wasn't going to be any chasing poons today for another grand slam since I had a 3.5-4 hour drive ahead of me to get back to Fort Pierce.

Overall it was a decent trip. Almost all my fish came off of weedless rigged gulp jerk shad in either pearl white or chartreuse pepper neon glow. Chatted with Joe Snook a few times while he was either coming or going.

Edit: The only picture I took worth sharing is this blue tail.
Bluetail.jpg

Replies

• Joe SnookJoe Snook Senior Member port of the islands in NaplesPosts: 468 Deckhand
    Hey man nice meeting you. Glad you got into em and had fun over here. I was really busy with trips this week I woulda liked to stop n hang a bit more. Great job on the grandslam

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com