Biscayne Bay Spearfishing?

Are you allowed to spearfish in Biscayne Bay? I am confused with all of the different rules. A few years ago I saw grouper in these holes throughout the bay and I just wanted to know if it was legal to spearfish for them. Are there any special regulations I should be aware of. Also are there any general features I should be looking for such as depth, structure, etc. when searching for likely areas? Thanks for your input.
Redfish 10'

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,240 Officer
    I seriously doubt that a diver could ascertain if a grouper inside a hole in the bottom of Biscayne Bay was of legal length or not.
    Giimoozaabi
  • LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Yes you can spearfish in the bay. There are plenty of larger grouper if you where to find them. I have one spot that I use to dump my live/dead bait at and it is doing quite well! I took a former co-worker there with live pilchards and he was schooled on a 6500 Baitrunner 4 times. It was pretty funny! I try not to spear them there as it's too easy and plus I take my kids snapper fishing there too.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    it better look like it's 100 lbs if you're gonna spear it.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 263 Deckhand
    there are plenty of grouper in the bay...I've caught black, red, gag and scamp...as far as spearing, I would make sure by asking law enforcement...most of the south bay area is inside Biscayne National Park and I believe you are not allowed to spear there...
  • heavychevy15heavychevy15 Posts: 837 Officer
    ya its not a good idea to spear down south biscayne bay. the national park takes that very seriously. double check with LEO but I'd stick to spear fishing elsewhere
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Lobstababe wrote: »
    I take my kids snapper fishing there too.

I bet they don't get spooled.