*Heading to Pompano: Advice on Tackle and Techniques?

An Orlando squad is heading down to Pompano Sunday, some for the 1st time. We venture off Playalinda Beach up near Cocoa frequently for Kings and Tarpon or over on the West coast for the same, but a few of us have never vertical jigged or gone after other pelagics in a yak.

I'll be armed with a Saltist 50BG (30lb Mono), 7' Penn Torque 15-30 to troll/flatline and a Stradic 8000 w/ 30lb Braid for jigging. Any tips, techniques, things to consider would be greatly appreciated. One of our friends has a depthfinder, so needless to say we will be staying close to him lol.

Replies

• ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Paddle out to 200 or so, find the ledge and jig your brains out. You can find numerous wrecks around pompano using one of the maps online, the C&C usually holds big AJs this time of year.

Use wire and stinger hooks, tons of kings out there. You cna buy pilchards/Gogs from Atlantic bait and tackle or at Taha marine.

Tight lines!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Might be a little rough out there this weekend. Go early and watch the drift. The drift can push you north or south to where you fish for 30 minutes and spend the rest off the time paddling back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • Stalker1211Stalker1211 Posts: 149 Officer
    Word. I know it's not gonna be glassy and smooth by any means, but the crew is definitely going so we will make due.

Being picky here; softer tip rod or stiffer tip rod for flatlining? The 7' Torque is a Mod-Fast, but I have a 7' Paraflex that is Xtra-Fast. With stingers I'm sure you have a better hook up with softer tips...just checking though
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Word. I know it's not gonna be glassy and smooth by any means, but the crew is definitely going so we will make due.

Being picky here; softer tip rod or stiffer tip rod for flatlining? The 7' Torque is a Mod-Fast, but I have a 7' Paraflex that is Xtra-Fast. With stingers I'm sure you have a better hook up with softer tips...just checking though

Way to picky. If you use a stinger and a circle hook, the fish will set the hook themselves on the flatline. What's more important is the right depth and the right bait. Almost any rod will do. Don't over equip yourself and you'll see more fish.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale