American Red Snapper - Read This & Post Here - When Are You Running Out?

Replies

• conch50conch50 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    NHC has a tropical low off Yucatan coming back across to the NE Gulf. Does this sound all too familiar? Not looking too good for the next week.
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    Ran out sunday (6/2) to 160' to some #'s of mine, they have produced before. Get there and start driving around to find them, sonar shows nothing.. Put out some lines and start trolling to search for them in the area, again nada. Go couple miles away to another # and see some smaller fish suspended, drop a bait down tiny red's 14", caught 3 good sized grouper from there and decided to split. Very disappointed at this point, drive over to the Stoney and set up. One guy I know was freediving and shot some nice muttons off the wreck. At this point the wind picked up to an easy 15 with gusts over that.. Seas kicked up another foot or so, approximately 3's with some 4's and a rare 5 mixed in... This point the fishing lit up, while freelining with 20lb flouro and jig, I land a 25lb king. Shortly after, one guy drops down a pin, and SLAM reel starts smoking. I land the gaff shot right through the spine and stone that sucker, weighed him on the scale 48lb's!! A monster to say the least, we left there at 6:30 and stop at a grouper spot. We land 3 red's in 30 minutes, and then school of Mahi showed up where we landed two. 7:15 we are still 50 miles from sanibel and we hammered the new motors in the 3-4' going 40mph the whole way in. Hit the dock at 8:45.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Last forecast looks better for Sunday.....come on wind gods do us a solid!
  • HoovHoov Posts: 386 Officer
    wish I could fish that far off
    YOUTUBE!! YOUTUBE!! YOUTUBE!! Check it out !! http://www.youtube.com/user/InToTheBlue247?feature=watch
    Breaking news....

Red Snapper season extended 2 days!!!

June 5, 2013

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:
    727/824-5305, FAX 727/824-5308

FB13-047

NOAA Fisheries Announces Changes to the Recreational

Red Snapper Season in the Gulf of Mexico

Gulf-Wide Season Set at 28 Days

Earlier this year, NOAA Fisheries published an emergency rule giving the agency the authority to adjust seasons off each Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) state based on whether their state-water seasons and bag limits were consistent with federal regulations. On May 31, 2013, the U.S. District Court in Brownsville, Texas, set aside that emergency rule.

As a result of this Court decision, the federal recreational red snapper season must be the same in federal waters off all five Gulf states. Considering the catches expected later in the year during the extended state-water seasons off Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, NOAA Fisheries projects the Gulf-wide federal recreational red snapper season can be 28 days long. Federal waters of the Gulf will close to recreational red snapper harvest at 12:01 a.m., June 29, 2013.

NOAA Fisheries reminds all federally permitted for-hire vessels that they must abide by the stricter federal regulations, and after the federal water closure, they will not be allowed to harvest and retain recreationally caught red snapper in open state waters.

For more information about how the season was calculated, please see the NOAA Fisheries 2013 Red Snapper Recreational Season Length Report.
    Anyone watching and attempting to figure out the weather for Sunday? Reports are not consistent.
    Heading out tomorrow on a friends boat, will push out of Red Fish and see how far we can get. If not will go fish for grouper, or run to a wreck and snapper fish.

Forecast is spotty, shows a solid 10 and will let y'all know what the sea conditions were out there. I expect some decent size rollers to still be around.

Like us on Facebook!

Veikx wrote: »
    Forecast is spotty, shows a solid 10 and will let y'all know what the sea conditions were out there.

Hope to hear how you did and what the drift was like.

We are on for Sunday. Leaving the dock by 6:00 AM, should be out Big Pass by 6:30 and running to 155 - 160 feet.
    Alrighty, just got home. Conditions were favorable as the wind laid down in the late afternoon to 2' waves with larger swells. It was windy in the morning with some big swells, we did not make it out to ARS grounds, stuck around grouper fishing and new territory. Drift was pretty quick, tomorrows forecast on windfinder does not look too good, shows gusts up to 20.

We found a 30' whale shark in 80' of water, slammed two 50lb cobia off of it, and I jumped in and swam/rode that beast!
    There were crabs floating everywhere out there, do not buy any, we picked up 15 in 10 minutes..
    We set up and caught 4 permit all were 38" in total length beautiful fish for sure.

Good luck out there!

Like us on Facebook!

Alrighty, just got home. Conditions were favorable as the wind laid down in the late afternoon to 2' waves with larger swells. It was windy in the morning with some big swells, we did not make it out to ARS grounds, stuck around grouper fishing and new territory. Drift was pretty quick, tomorrows forecast on windfinder does not look too good, shows gusts up to 20.

We found a 30' whale shark in 80' of water, slammed two 50lb cobia off of it, and I jumped in and swam/rode that beast!
    There were crabs floating everywhere out there, do not buy any, we picked up 15 in 10 minutes..
    We set up and caught 4 permit all were 38" in total length beautiful fish for sure.

Good luck out there!

Great report thanks. Permit........... sweeeeeeet!!!

Agree on the forecast we loaded the boat at 5:00 AM this morning and talked with a buddy who left even earlier. He got out to 6 miles and was turning back. We cancelled.

So 9 days into the season, just one trip. Darn......
    Very sad to see the weather like this, last year it was flat calm throughout June and July...

Like us on Facebook!

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    We went out yesterday. A bit choppy at first but not too bad. Made it out to 160. Went to some known productive numbers but the bite was really soft. Marked plenty of good stuff but only managed 1 ARS and 3 red grouper, all nice sized but not the quantity we hoped for. Also caught 9 little mahis, a couple nice mangroves, a blacktip, and a pink porgy. Overall brought home plenty of filets but since ARS was the target species we were a little disappointed.

I really wonder if the storm had something to do with shutting down the bite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Went out of Red fish yesterday morning about 6:30. First stop was number I found last week in 135'. Bite was really slow. Same as RMD, bottom looked good but not much happening. Got a couple of RG. Picked up and started moving toward another spot in 155' but looking as I went. Stopped at a spot in 145' set anchor and lines down, 3 bent rods. Couple of keeper RG and one short. Few minutes later the first ARS nice fish about 22". About the same time 2 of us hook into nice fish and are getting them up and both lose the fish. Reel up and both hooks are broken off at the barb? Then as soon as it started it quit. Move just a little bit and reset and picked up one more snapper and four nice RG from 24-30", one porgy and trigger over a few hours. So we caught a few fish but overall was pretty slow. 145' was deep as I got.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    think I'm going to wait until the end of the month. Offshore bite has not been consistent. And fuel ain't cheap!
    This entire year has been a really slow bite, snapper fishing for mangos and yellowtails I have only landed a total of 15 for the whole year... So far this weekend looks quite promising we shall see if it holds though.

Conch: What types of hooks were they? I have had problems with gamakatsu's breaking right at the tip. Started using VMC nemisis hooks and have never broken one.

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks for the reports guys, really does help us all.
    I have had problems with gamakatsu's breaking right at the tip.

Same here, some bad batches were around. All Owner for me now!

Since we did not go Sunday we have two boats running offshore on Wednesday. Likely west of the Venice Jetties in 155 feet. Another trip planned for Friday or Saturday (weather permitting).
    Yes they were gamakatsu's. Actually had three break off at the tip for the day. All at the exact same place. Definitely some type of flaw.
    Second trip of the year for us today, report is here: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?115772-06-12-2013-Second-Red-Snapper-Trip-of-the-Season&p=1456842#post1456842

Had a few boat issues that I need to address before the next trip. It is going to be a busy week!
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    I'm heading out on Wednesday for my second trip of the year. Weather looks perfect, hope to run out to 160', our best bite on the 1st was at 117'. Gonna try to do some trolling too as we don't care about catching a limit of grouper on this trip, we just want a few more ARS before next year.
    doubledup wrote: »
    I'm heading out on Wednesday for my second trip of the year. Weather looks perfect, hope to run out to 160', our best bite on the 1st was at 117'. Gonna try to do some trolling too as we don't care about catching a limit of grouper on this trip, we just want a few more ARS before next year.

Nice!!! We are going Thursday for our third Red Snapper trip of the season. Hope to see a quick report from you before we head out.
    We ran out to 170 feet. Hit one new spot we found in 130' and caught about 10 big red groupers, nice show on the fishfinder but no ARS. Hit a spot in 150 that we caught some big ARS at on the 1st and didn't get a bite. The wind was dead calm, gulf was a lake. Absoulutly ZERO current, we would drift 30 feet in 10 minutes. I'm not a offshore pro by any means but inshore no tide means no bite. Pressed on too 170', hit 3 more spots with fish stacked 30 feet off the bottom, didn't get any bites, still no current (11:00am). Started to head in nice and slow. We hit our ARS spot in 117' and only caught one there. The current started to flow a little by 2:30 but it was barley enough to pull our bouy tight. Ended the day with a 4 man limit of grouper and 1 red snapper. This is only our 2nd time attempting to specifically target ARS. We tried live bait, cut bait, and butterfly jigs, nothing got hit between about 10am and 2pm and the afternoon bite only lasted 30 minutes it seemed. Grouper were not even eating. Everything I read has been 160+ when you find good stacks of fish normally that mean there are a bunch of ARS around. We found the stacks just couldn't get them to bite. I guess when they are like any other fish though they turn off with the tide. Last time out the first spot we found in 150' we caught nice ARS. For anyone who likes to troll there was a great weedline in 158' running north south and another a few miles west in 168'. Trolled for a while but only caught bonita, we did see one nice sail free jump a few times. Is it true that ARS are so aggressive they bite all day or do they turn off and on like grouper? I'm going to try to get out one last time on Monday and run right to that spot we found that had fish 30 feet off the bottom. I have never seen a 4+ hour slack tide but that is what we had today. Hopefully next time the current is moving a little faster. That's all I got to report.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    We ran out to 170 feet. Hit one new spot we found in 130' and caught about 10 big red groupers, nice show on the fishfinder but no ARS. Hit a spot in 150 that we caught some big ARS at on the 1st and didn't get a bite. The wind was dead calm, gulf was a lake. Absoulutly ZERO current, we would drift 30 feet in 10 minutes. I'm not a offshore pro by any means but inshore no tide means no bite. Pressed on too 170', hit 3 more spots with fish stacked 30 feet off the bottom, didn't get any bites, still no current (11:00am). Started to head in nice and slow. We hit our ARS spot in 117' and only caught one there. The current started to flow a little by 2:30 but it was barley enough to pull our bouy tight. Ended the day with a 4 man limit of grouper and 1 red snapper. This is only our 2nd time attempting to specifically target ARS. We tried live bait, cut bait, and butterfly jigs, nothing got hit between about 10am and 2pm and the afternoon bite only lasted 30 minutes it seemed. Grouper were not even eating. Everything I read has been 160+ when you find good stacks of fish normally that mean there are a bunch of ARS around. We found the stacks just couldn't get them to bite. I guess when they are like any other fish though they turn off with the tide. Last time out the first spot we found in 150' we caught nice ARS. For anyone who likes to troll there was a great weedline in 158' running north south and another a few miles west in 168'. Trolled for a while but only caught bonita, we did see one nice sail free jump a few times. Is it true that ARS are so aggressive they bite all day or do they turn off and on like grouper? I'm going to try to get out one last time on Monday and run right to that spot we found that had fish 30 feet off the bottom. I have never seen a 4+ hour slack tide but that is what we had today. Hopefully next time the current is moving a little faster. That's all I got to report.

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear you had a tough day on the ARS. Yes, current is always good. Generally no current = poor fishing. Sometimes with little or no current and real clear conditions, we’ll scale down to 30/30 (Fluro) and 3”-4” live pilchards or threads…ARS can’t seem to refuse them, and it weaves out a lot of the bs fish. They also love fresh bonita chunks. Unfortunately, we’ll break off some Grouper in the process. Heading out Friday and we’ll concentrate in the 150-170' range. Debating whether to run north to fish #'s in the 26-5's or stay south in the 26-high 2's. Nice to see a sail out there. There should be some phins in that grass. I’m surprised you didn’t connect. We'll drag a little ourselves while prospecting for new bottom.
    Yeah, we never downgraded our tackle. We hope to get out either monday or thursday next week. Normally we leave out of Gasparilla Pass in the dark so we don't see any schools of threads on the way out. Good luck Friday, I would think the tide would be ripping with the full moon. Those weedlines were just about due west of Gasparilla pass in case you are out that way. Didn't see any mahi on them but we really didn't spend much time trolling. Plenty of time for that after the 28th.
    We are heading out to 180' tomorrow. No stops before we hit 180' troll around a bit then start working our way back in, bouncing numbers. Will post a report on how we do!

Like us on Facebook!

Those weedlines were just about due west of Gasparilla pass in case you are out that way. Didn't see any mahi on them but we really didn't spend much time trolling. Plenty of time for that after the 28th.

We saw a mess of weeds as well off of South Sarasota. Very little surface activity. However for my first time ever we saw a large school of Tarpon heading east in 155 feet of water, very cool.....................
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    headed out 1AM today, fished wreck in 100 foot of water, and the Mango Bite was insane. Also caught African Pompano, Lanes , Yellowtail and were broken off by several unknowns, freelining white bait in the chumline.

Headed out to 135k at first light, caught a quick 4 man limit of ARS, released several, mostly small 18"-21", then pushed to 160-165' and did not do well. Grouper were non existent today, until later in the afternoon, where we released big gags & ajs, etc. Hit a quick spot in 65' on the way in around 5pm, and the RG finally lit up, but were all short.

Blue water was dead. With the exception of flying fish, no birds, no nitas, no bft, no phins, etc. Weed lines were scattered. Dragged in between spots, with nothing to show. But then again, we were dragging at 22 - 25 MPH..lol. We would have slowed down if there were signs of life, but there were none.

Back out again Sunday night. May head south this time.
    Hard day for us Saturday, fished in 142 to 160 feet SW of Sarasota. Did get keepers which included 7 Red Snapper, 4 Red Grouper and 3 Mahi but caught way to many short fish. Did have a first, West Coast Florida Sailfish leader touched and released. More details on the trip in the morning. Some boat issues made for a LONG day....
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Hard day for us Saturday, fished in 142 to 160 feet SW of Sarasota. Did get keepers which included 7 Red Snapper, 4 Red Grouper and 3 Mahi but caught way to many short fish. Did have a first, West Coast Florida Sailfish leader touched and released. More details on the trip in the morning. Some boat issues made for a LONG day....

The bite slowed down for us too on Friday, guessing it may be that we are near a full moon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RMD wrote: »
    The bite slowed down for us too on Friday, guessing it may be that we are near a full moon.

Yup, I'll blame it on the moon and not my fish finding skills.....

May get trip #5 for the season in depending upon how the week goes. My wife says NO because of freezer has reached its limit :)