American Red Snapper - Read This & Post Here - When Are You Running Out?

It would be great if all anglers heading out to fish for Red Snapper this SHORT season could help each other with some basic information. Many of us really look forward to this season and would like to make the most of it!

I'll post a day, two or three before we are heading out and also post upon our return as to what depth we found the fish and what we caught them on. I hope other anglers viewing this would do the same.

I had a friend who found fish the weekend of May 18th in 150' to 160' and that is our starting depth when we head out Sunday June 2nd. We also plan to run June 3rd. June 2nd we will be running out of Big Pass in Sarasota and June 3rd out of the Venice Jetties. Both days we plan to break the pass before 6:00 AM.

Tight lines to all and be safe out there.

Replies

• VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    Heading out possibly Sat Night, and then sunday runnning out to some #'s in 140'. Then working out from there, to 160'+.

Tight lines!
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • conch50conch50 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Angler was just going back and reading some of your posts from last year to try and gather a little info, then came back and saw you started new thread lol. I plan on going Sunday, conditions looking pretty good. I have not tried To fish ARS before so something new for me. Will be a little further south going out of red fish pass. Don't have solid #s but will start looking in 130+ and hope to find some decent bottom. Have had pretty good luck doing that for RG and hope will have the same. I have a 30' Grady with twin 300 yams so it is an expensive proposition to go looking blind but hopefully will be worth it. Good or bad will post the outcome after the trip. Good luck to you but after looking at some of those pics from last year I don't think you need it. I am taking squid sardines frozen shrimp and will put some pins in the well before heading off. That pretty much covers any baits I might need doesn't it? Any other advise you can give would be greatly appreciated.
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    Heading out Monday out of Naples. This is my first trip out 70 miles. We are going to try some wrecks that I know and if those dont produce see if we can find any live bottom. Also any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Veikx wrote: »
    Heading out possibly Sat Night, and then sunday runnning out to some #'s in 140'. Then working out from there, to 160'+.

Tight lines!

I'll be around 130-160 depth due west of Red Fish. Where are you heading?
    West of Fort Myers, and running a bit south also. Buddies have some numbers from commercial guys that im checking out. The night trip option is out, guys have plans. Will be heading out sunday morning 5:30 at Punta rassa.

Like us on Facebook!

• closerscottcloserscott Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    we have a full crew aboard heading out Sunday am to 135-145 ft out of redfish. Will run a little deeper if necessary. Looking to get on the red snapper and hope to have time to fish our grouper numbers as well. Grouper's been good outside 100ft .....when we've had time to get out. The are the kinds of weather forecasts...with season opening that keeps me up at night like a kid on Christmas eve!
    I'll post upon return and appreciate the info sharing.
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    I'm heading out tomrw, we caught some nice ARS in 117 west of Gasparilla pass a few weeks ago. We plan on starting in 150+ and working our way back east.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    Heading out Sunday at dark thirty and be home once boxes are full of limits of ARS & RG. Fishing Commercial Numbers 150’-160, then heading back in for RG in the 120’-130’ Range. Last minute trip and trying to piece together crew of 4. Have opening for 1 or 2 (For now). Taking smaller boat out (Newer 25’ Edgewater with Twins). If anyone is interested, ps. send PM ASAP. Weather looks good all the way around. Split costs 4 ways (Fuel, Ice, Bait).
  • Naples SpearoNaples Spearo Posts: 112 Officer
    heading out of Naples Sat. morning, not too early, head out to 170+ limit on ARS, work back in trolling/scouting and fish red grouper..... get into some mangs and yellowtails at night!! Tight lines and be safe to all!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Good luck out there guys and stay safe. Looking forward to some great reports.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    SW forum members rock.:fishing You may want to pick a channel to talk on ?
    larrywitt
    I'll be on 19
    Will be west of Red Fish. Will be standing by on 19. Good luck guys.
    How deep you going? I will be due West of Red Fish also.
  • JereJere Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    we will be running out to the Middle Grounds on the 8th and 9th first run there hoping will find some ARS
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    We are ready for tomorrows run 50 to 60 miles west of Sarasota.

250 gallons of fuel - check
    45 pinfish - check
    10 lbs of sardines - check
    10 lbs of squid - check
    16 fishing rods - check
    Tuna & Wahoo trolling lures - check
    50 bottles of water and gatoraide - check
    300 pounds of ice (150 lb on the boat already) - check
    Food - check
    Hooks, weights, leader, dehooker, vent tool, Tsunami Facet Jigs - check
    Safety gear - check
    Mahi tagging kit - check
    Alarm set for 4:15 AM - check

Hope to hear some great reports from forum members soon.

Catch'em up :fishing
    Angler: one more item for the list, rain gear. Looks like the way back will be a little wet as it has been raining every late afternoon.

Good luck out there! Remember to stay safe, and slay those red snappa!

Like us on Facebook!

Nuclear I am going to start looking around 135 out to 150. Never caught ARS so new thing for me. Hope to find some bottom while trolling for dolphin or something toothy. Can always come back in to some RG bottom if things don't work out. Will be in GW Marlin. Good luck. Hope the rain holds off til late.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    heading out in 45 minutes. going to Kill some Mangos in 80' of water and if the weather stays as predicted, heading to 150-160 at first light. Boat fueled, EPRIB check, vhf check, nav & sounder check, all rods rigged, going out with 150-200 pieces of big live white bait, 8 boxes of fresh chum, frozen threads and a some giant pins.

Will be in white Edgewater with twins. Gotta go.....I hear them calling for me to help transport bait from the pens to the wells!

Good luck everyone and be safe!
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    We ran out of Gasparilla pass this morning (saturday 1st) Stopped and caught bait real fast in 100 ft ran out to a spot about 35 miles out in 117 feet. Caught 3 nice red snappers, all 18-20# also caught 12 keeper grouper at that spot to 15#. Seas were 2-3 but out of the east, decided to run out another 15 miles to 150 ft, never been out that far. found a decent show on the fishfinder and caught 3 more nice red snappers all around 15+ pounds. Bite was real good till about 2pm, had triple hook ups on grouper/snapper alot. After 2 the wind died to nothing and so did the tide, we were barley drifting at all at this point, hit one more spot in 120 and nothing. Back to the dock by 5. Perfect weather and no rain. We will try to get out again on the 19th if the weather is nice. Red snapper were caught on cut squirfish and grunts, I think one was caught on a live sardine but they really wanted the cut bait.
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    I was planning on Monday or Tuesday with the forecast looking great (1' or less) and now it has changed to 4-6' :banghead
    Looks like the weather even changed a bit for today (sunday). Fishweather shows afternoon showers out at the c13 with winds increasing to 15 around 3pm. So excited that I woke up an hour earlier!

Doubleup: The report is much appreciated! Haven't heard from my spearing buddy but they went out yesterday evening. Will give the cut bait the try and see how it does!

Tight lines,
    Chris

Like us on Facebook!

• JEIBEJEIBE Posts: 274 Deckhand
    we ran 55 mi out, southwest from the venice inlet and found them thick in 150. we couldnt get anything past them.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,101 Officer
    I think the idea of a dedicated FS channel would be pretty cool....I know some fishing clubs do that. We might be able to meet some new friends that way also
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    Ran out to 120 feet. 1 foot seas my a s s Five foot seas with 1 footers on top of them.
    Worst offshore trip in a long time. Just could not mark anything.
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    Would you run out of naples tomorrow? Not sure with the weather forecast. What do you guys think?
    Looks like the ARS are at 150 and deeper. That's a long run in stormy weather. It's going to get nasty for the next 5 days.
    Ran to 135 and it was not the conditions I thought it would be. Found some decent bottom with really nice grouper and small RS 18". Went as far as 155' but didn't have enough rode to keep anchor set and could never get situated right. Need to add anchor line before another trip in those 1 foot seas lol. Will post report and few pics on regular fishing thread. Killa don't think I would make that offshore tomorrow seas were more like 3-4 and seemed to be building out 150 off Red Fish
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    We had a solid day today, Sunday June 2nd. See our report here: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?114125-06-02-2013-First-Red-Snapper-Trip-of-the-Season&p=1435917#post1435917

Hope to see some other solid reports from members. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Come on wind gods do us a solid a blow yourself out quickly!!!
  • closerscottcloserscott Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    We had a solid day today, Sunday June 2nd. See our report here: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?114125-06-02-2013-First-Red-Snapper-Trip-of-the-Season&p=1435917#post1435917

Hope to see some other solid reports from members. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Come on wind gods do us a solid a blow yourself out quickly!!!

Nice catch Angler Systems.
    We had a good day too. Niece's graduation gift was an offshore trip and wanted it to be a memorable one for her so I worked hard the day earlier to get an abundant supply of bait. 2 hours around the causeway came through...again with white bait and pins. With a livewell full of bait and a smorgasboard of dead bait we ran out of redfish yesterday around 730. The seas were nice on the way out but built more as the day wore on. Current was ripping out of the south making anchoring a challenge to get set on the spot. With a big sea anchor, we drifted but a little faster than ideal. First stop in 135 got 2 red snapper pushing 15 pounds each. We then went out to 140 and found the mother load. Anchoring on the spot we caught 20 or so, releasing the smaller ones, keeping the bigger. In the afternoon we went back in to our grouper numbers in 105 and agree with earlier poster...the bite slowed down in the afternoon. The last 2 trips we did quite well. Just 3 keeper reds this time. Now to the highlight of the trip. It started with a nuisance. I hooked about a 4 foot reef shark. After entangling a few of the crew's lines and having to re-rig, sent the big dead white bait down.
    Something heavy hit it ... I beleted out "it's a shark again head shakes". It's pulling off to the side, so I thought for sure it's another dang shark. I horse it up to the surface, hoping it would just come off and peaved about the prospects of rerigging and precious fishing time lost...again.
    To my delight, we see color and first think it's a mid sized aj and definitely not a shark. A few more pulls of the Terramar and she comes closer to the surface for a better view. Black fin tuna!!!!!!!! For these waters, a HUGE one! 25 pounds or so.
    High five's all around, a quick photo shot and there's a reservation for 1 with Mr. Blackfin straight to the Intrepid's box with a complimenatary ice bath.
    Weird, in the past year, we've caught this blackfin and a 60 pound sailfish while grouper fishing on the bottom.
    A long run back in at 32 mph in the trough, we got back to Old Pine Island Marina at 6:30. The old locals gathered round to check the tally while we filleted. 8 american reds, 3 grouper, and Mr. Blackfin.
    By 9 pm my head hit the pillow too exhaused (for now) to dream of the next adventure out deep.