Autocad

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    J-Sea wrote: »
    I got 2013LT for a grand less than a year ago. No 3D capabilities but fine for Arch/Construction 2d drawings
    full blown 2013 was around 3k and 2013 Architectural was over 4k!

I would suggest revisiting the AutoDesk webpage and visiting with the current price structure. You will likely want to drink a couple of beers and sit down before you do.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
    yea, solidworks is used by real engineers

So Homer, what do you do and what industry are you in?
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • PhishbohnPhishbohn Posts: 2,978 Captain
    greggl wrote: »
    I'm all Maya.

I guess so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson.
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,781 Admin
    I've heard of it. It works. It is typically used by industries outside of the civil engineering and construction industries. AutoDesk has done such an incredible job marketing into said markets their tools are used nearly exclusively, outside of the transportation industry (who likes a Linux-based application.) Further, I think Griz needs to use something - stand alone - for a cabinet shop so solidworks may work for him.

Yes. Designer to make drawings. Our old one was left by another designer and I think it expired or just died/is dying. I never have used it, but it is what they know.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Mcrostation is a beast! Definitely. Sketch up is not on par. Solidworks, maybe. Frank, I know you worked in the public sector for a long time did you REALLY know any office to use anything other than AutoDesk and ArcInfo, with the possible exception of Microstation-based Roadworks?

many engineering depts use microstation and when i was in private sector we used microstation along with intergraph's gis package
    it blew autocad away
    but the point is depending on what you want to do there are many, and often times, free alternatives
    No political signature
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    So Homer, what do you do and what industry are you in?

the real engineering industry
    Griz wrote: »
    Yes. Designer to make drawings. Our old one was left by another designer and I think it expired or just died/is dying. I never have used it, but it is what they know.

Understood. I would suggest staying with AutoCad for a couple of reasons. If there are details, macros, external-referenced files the new drafter will want access to those. Shipping those files over to a new (different) software is a PITA, if possible at all. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, AutoDesk has strong architectural and interior design tools.

• bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Release the Beast
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,406 AG
    that gives me a headache!
    the real engineering industry

Ya, that's helpful. Thanks.

frank wrote: »
    many engineering depts use microstation and when i was in private sector we used microstation along with intergraph's gis package
    it blew autocad away
    but the point is depending on what you want to do there are many, and often times, free alternatives

Never touched Intergraph' GIS package. but I definitely agree that InRoads and superb for linear-routed infrastructure projects like roads and pipelines.

pricey though
    not for griz, if he's moaning bout cost
    No political signature
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,275 Captain
    yea, solidworks is used by real engineers

Yep, mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets!
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Yep, mechanical engineers build weapons, civil engineers build targets!

Thats awesome.
    civil engineers build targets!

Actually, Civil Engineers build the quality of life.

pricey though
    not for griz, if he's moaning bout cost

Agreed. Better have a way to expense it.

Actually, Civil Engineers build the quality of life.

mechanical engineer makes it comfortable ;)
    Polar wrote: »
    mechanical engineer makes it comfortable ;)

Only ME's in the HVAC biz make it comfortable. And you know what they say about ME's that end up in the HVAC biz. :rotflmao

Why, no I dont. Im sure you're gonna tell me though
  • CheechCheech Posts: 478 Officer
    Surveyors stake it out I like my Civil Engineer friends for what they do
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Surveyors point out and fix the Engineers booboo's.
  • J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    I would suggest revisiting the AutoDesk webpage and visiting with the current price structure. You will likely want to drink a couple of beers and sit down before you do.

Well I guess that is what I get for buying 2013 in May of 2012. Prices have come way down. Company paid for it so I could draft our minor projects as a side business - It's paid for itself 10x over already so oh well. http://www.autodeskmarket.com/autocad-lt-c-3.html
    Your right about that Redhunter if not it's my fault for not catching it
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Stay up with your versions of AutoDesk. If you get more than 3 versions back you will be paying the full price for the upgrade. They have you by the knutts either way. I am not even going to tell you which version I like the best. Most private and local governing agencies use AutoCadd. If a firm has Microstation they will be generally doing work for FDOT. If you are working in Inroads then you are working for some Fed departments or GDOT. Real pain in the hiney when you have to know multiple formats and have to deliver one format to one client and another format to another client. IMHO, AutoCadd is the only way to go. It is coordinate driven where Microstation in Pixel driven and addon software such as Geopak has to be used with Microstation to make it correct.
    We use macros when converting between formats. It come across pretty clean, you will still have some cleanup but it is much better than it used to be.
    for you all using macros with autocad, are you strictly using vba or have you branched out to python or c#?
    No political signature
    Redhunter wrote: »
    Surveyors point out and fix the Engineers booboo's.

:rotflmao So true it is terrible. Most engineers don't spend near enough time in the field.

for you all using macros with autocad, are you strictly using vba or have you branched out to python or c#?

Frank, I am not a script writer but the little I have done has been in vba.

bottomtime wrote: »
    Release the Beast

Why do you have your screen all junked up? Why don't you run two screens?

:Agree
    greggl wrote: »
    I'm all Maya.

Is this what you are using? Is it the state of the sport in your world?

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-maya/overview