Turning Cement into Metal

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
Cool !! Any materials scientists or mechanical/electrical engineers here. Ain't science great!?

Much lengthier explanation at the link.

Text:

In a move that would make the Alchemists of King Arthur’s time green with envy, scientists have unraveled the formula for turning liquid cement into liquid metal. This makes cement a semi-conductor and opens up its use in the profitable consumer electronics marketplace for thin films, protective coatings, and computer chips.

“This new material has lots of applications including as thin-film resistors used in liquid-crystal displays, basically the flat panel computer monitor that you are probably reading this from at the moment,” said Chris Benmore, a physicist from the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory who worked with a team of scientists from Japan, Finland, and Germany to take the “magic” out of the cement-to-metal transformation. Benmore and Shinji Kohara from Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute/SPring-8 led the research effort.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112857864/the-formula-for-turning-cement-into-metal/?goback=.gde_4256251_member_245443818

Replies

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,472 AG
    I don't know anything about this but 3M 5200 works like magic on aluminum boats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,588 Captain
    Cool !! Any materials scientists or mechanical/electrical engineers here. Ain't science great!?

Much lengthier explanation at the link.

Text:

In a move that would make the Alchemists of King Arthur’s time green with envy, scientists have unraveled the formula for turning liquid cement into liquid metal. This makes cement a semi-conductor and opens up its use in the profitable consumer electronics marketplace for thin films, protective coatings, and computer chips.

“This new material has lots of applications including as thin-film resistors used in liquid-crystal displays, basically the flat panel computer monitor that you are probably reading this from at the moment,” said Chris Benmore, a physicist from the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory who worked with a team of scientists from Japan, Finland, and Germany to take the “magic” out of the cement-to-metal transformation. Benmore and Shinji Kohara from Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute/SPring-8 led the research effort.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112857864/the-formula-for-turning-cement-into-metal/?goback=.gde_4256251_member_245443818

Your title makes it look more interesting. I was thinking "cement to metal, what the heck". Then I read the article and saw they meant LIQUID cement. They just made it conductive.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Yep. liquid. Aligning the electrons in the cement matrix is no small feat.

And that is great. Better, faster, cheaper, more creative high tech toys.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,472 AG
    Yep. liquid. Aligning the electrons in the cement matrix is no small feat.

And that is great. Better, faster, cheaper, more creative high tech toys.

Let's get cracking. Now we can for sure print our guns. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I don't even know what they are trying to say. There are conductive liquids. Conductive adhesives and liquid metals.?
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    Yeah, conductive epoxy is the ****.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,934 Admiral
    I don't know about the metal thing, but I saw a test of a concrete formula that can get to 5000 psi in about 12 minutes. Very little water and get hot as hell.
    I don't know about the metal thing, but I saw a test of a concrete formula that can get to 5000 psi in about 12 minutes. Very little water and get hot as hell.

Yep. "Heat of Hydration" it is called. The high-tech concrete mixes have all sorts of admixtures and very carefully controlled water ratios.

Crack control is very strict with the high-tech concretes due to the heat of hydration issue.

Also, in the lab at Univ of TX, Univ of Ill and Colorado State, there are mixes reaching close to 7K psi. I will probably see see high-strength concrete at close to 9K possibly 10K psi before I quit engineering. Will revolutionize what can be done with concrete and how fast construction will take place.

Ron, most of these concretes are fine graded so they will be super useful for things you are interested in like clarifier tanks.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    going to make for a heavy monitor
    CaptTater wrote: »
    I don't even know what they are trying to say. There are conductive liquids. Conductive adhesives and liquid metals.?

I agree the article is hard to read. It is poorly written. I read it three times myself. Basically, they are saying the technology is available to organize the metal ions in the cement matrix into a regular and uniform pattern, so their usefulness is regular and predicable. Since the metal ions are in a "plastic" (the cement matrix) the it is moldable or conformable thus making for cheaper electronics and possibly smaller (unit) applications.
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    I'm pretty sure that Genetically modified liquid metal from concrete has almost no nutritional value when compared to the original.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
    I assume by cement they mean an adhesive
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    No, please read the article again.

Text: "alumina cement made of calcium and aluminum oxides."

not portland cement.......but similar......
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Interesting development. But will it's conductivity/weight be better than what's available now & how cost effective is the transformation process? Just wondering how far away are we from this discovery to actual application.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
    So what properties make it better for electronics?
    CaptTater wrote: »
    So what properties make it better for electronics?

Read my post in #11.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    won't the rebar get in the way?
    Won't be any rebar in the applications this stuff is use for. What industry did you say you are in again?
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 969 Officer
    Scientists in Illinois have isolated a component of cement.
    Taken the discovery found by the Japanese.
    They buzz it with a laser, and get a substance like glass but metallic.
    The "glass" atoms contain a free electron.
    Therefore it can conduct/transfer electricity.
    This might be the next generation of semiconductor material.