Bee's in my attic in South Miami / Pinecrest - who would you call?

BigDanSBigDanS Posts: 832 Officer
A colony of bee's has decided to invade my attic over my bedroom. Willie the Bee Man gave me a sales pitch over the phone that was less than convincing and expensive.

The hole is in the peak of the roof in a large open area of the attic. I haven't gone up to look at it yet.

Who would you use to remove it?

D
CAMTEQ Computers - Networks - Service - Sales
We do it all for business and home
http://www.camteq.net
Save $125 on your first service call

Replies

• tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    buddy, I'm in the pest business. DON'T TRY IT YOURSELF! What kind of bee's? Honey Bee's? What kind, don't know do you? Again, you need an expert. If it were me, I'd call a bee man, get some estimates.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,423 AG
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,798 Admiral
    They got into one of my exterior walls, frame house.

Cost me $300 to have them killed with smoke then shop-vacumed out. Removed the honey comb too.

They didn't replace the drywall they had to hack out though.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • jsrodguy1jsrodguy1 Posts: 545 Officer
    Call a bee keeper, A friend of mine had a huge piece of honey comb fall on his car last year after a windy period and the city gave him the name of a bee keeper in St Pete who took care of the hive.
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    They got into one of my exterior walls, frame house.

Cost me $300 to have them killed with smoke then shop-vacumed out. Removed the honey comb too.

They didn't replace the drywall they had to hack out though.

I'm not currently licensed to sell/do pest control, though I still keep my certificate active.

The most expensive part should be the repairs. Depending on how long the bees have been there, and how long it will take (hrs-labor) to remove them, will dictate how much it will cost. If it was Willie, then it was prolly priced high. My normal prices were $150-300. I'd go in with a bee suit, rip the nest out, spray it down, and leave.

Trust me when I say if someone is going to use smoke, they are going to rip you off. Without pesticides, the bees will re-infest.

Additionally, the state recommends eradicating a feral colony infested in a home (kill). We are experiencing more, and more africanized honey bees.

If you need to discuss this further, you may send me a private message...
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
    I was joking lol
    btw, I have bee suits (x2) anyone can borrow. Its really not that difficult to do...
    Polar wrote: »
    I was joking lol
    I was not...
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,324 Admiral
    This is the time of year they swarm. So it probably hasn't been there long. Call a bee keeper. They'll get it out and likely salvage the hive if possible.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    If you do decide to tackle this yourself, needless to say, please video tape it and post it here. Based on my personal experiences, I would recommend having a professional do it for you.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • MosesMoses Posts: 1,203 Officer
    If you do decide to tackle this yourself, needless to say, please video tape it and post it here. Based on my personal experiences, I would recommend having a professional do it for you.

I could not dis-agree more. I believe that any educated individual should be able to do this by himself/herself.
    Please, do video tape this and post on FS to prove that I am right.....

:rotflmao
    The peanuts and beer took its toll. I had to fart really bad. I would normally ease away and let it out. I thought it was time for her to grow up.
    It was a varoooom! It shook the pine needles off the trees. She broke and ran.
    "Daddy, you stink!"
    She's my best buddy to this day! You never know how these things will work out!
    Sayin... Reck

1387463400_20_1_USD_5_default.png
    Joey Buttons - FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,669 Admin
    sbds wrote: »
    I could not dis-agree more. I believe that any educated individual should be able to do this by himself/herself.
    Please, do video tape this and post on FS to prove that I am right.....

:rotflmao
    tumblr_m19jbiYf3O1r3uw24.gif
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,934 Admiral
    I have a reoccurring problem with a balcony deck. Sevin dust at the entrance and if they don't die, they leave.
  • wpbthwpbth Posts: 443 Officer
    Burn the house down
    :fishing
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,274 Admiral
    Bees
    not "bee's"
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,798 Admiral
    got ants? wrote: »
    Trust me when I say if someone is going to use smoke, they are going to rip you off. Without pesticides, the bees will re-infest.

Well, in my case they filled the two holes (where pvc used to go through the wall for a sprinkler system), so unless those bees can dig through concrete, they aint re-infesting.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,274 Admiral
    Insert an apostrophe followed by the letter S to indicate possession.
    Use an apostrophe without the letter S when the possessor's name ends in "S."
    Use the same approach if a possessive noun is a plural.
    Some words indicate possession without added apostrophes, i.e., mine, his, hers, ours, yours, theirs and its.
    Apostrophes serve as substitutes for letters in some frequently used words and expressions.
    Apostrophes are meant to make things clearer, not garnish a word like pieces of parsley. Punctuation needs to mark words, not decorate them. If you can't find a good reason to use an apostrophe, you probably don't need one.

You​'re welcome. Glad I could assist with your bee problem.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Cyclist will cry if you kill bees. As long a they aren't in his house.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • BigDanSBigDanS Posts: 832 Officer
    Well I called the Bee Man. Expensive but I hope it is worth it.

D
  • loose_cannonloose_cannon Posts: 592 Officer
    WD40 and a lighter. Go after them "Iwo Jima" style.
    Member #813
    Here is pic of a few of them. We had left the overhead recessed "can" lights on and some of the bees were attracted to the heat. There were about a half dozen on the ceiling and a bunch dead or mostly dead on the floor. The wife stepped on one, got a stinger in the middle of her foot and was in excruciating pain. I don't know but I believe these are just honey bees.

bees_zpsb2feec7f.jpg

They will be gone ASAP one way or another.

D
    Willie the Bee Man sent Omar and Andre to remove the hive. Looks to be pretty new, but still glad to be rid of it...

beesjune42013_zpsefcb6ba3.jpg

That's my size 12 next to the pile.

D
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Here is pic of a few of them. We had left the overhead recessed "can" lights on and some of the bees were attracted to the heat. There were about a half dozen on the ceiling and a bunch dead or mostly dead on the floor. The wife stepped on one, got a stinger in the middle of her foot and was in excruciating pain. I don't know but I believe these are just honey bees.

bees_zpsb2feec7f.jpg

They will be gone ASAP one way or another.

D

Excruciating pain:rotflmao
    It's a bee sting. Not child birth, or an amputation.
    Those are honey bees, that was a small colony, and a new one at that. Most bee keepers would have removed that one for darn near free.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

hooknline wrote: »
    Excruciating pain:rotflmao
    It's a bee sting. Not child birth, or an amputation.
    Those are honey bees, that was a small colony, and a new one at that. Most bee keepers would have removed that one for darn near free.

hnl, how many bee keepers do you know that have a pest control license?
    None, but I know a few that are on the list for swarm removal. You and I have already been down this road as far as discussion of wether to kill or remove. The state has a position that is based on bs. The reality is the bees are disappearing and the state is helping that with their policy of kill all swarm colonies. Thise colonies are the strongest and should be cultivated, not killed. It's akin to killin the biggest bull because his calves get too big.

Actually, whether to kill ot not, is not the issue.

Removal of a colony from a residential dwelling is doing Pest Control, which requires a license.

Just ask "Willy the Bee Man". He was doing bee removal for years. After numerous fines, he finally got licensed.