breaking a lease 1 month early for job relocating

rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,692 AG
I sent a formal letter to my landlord stating I am moving for my job and breaking the lease 1 month early, and he returns, in an email, he says he does no agree and will file judgement in the courts for the last months rent. Mind you he also stated rent is due june 1, and I received this email about 15 min ago.

Lease states nothing about early termination. Am I in the wrong? What should I do?

Replies

• Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    "I am moving for my job and breaking the lease 1 month early"

Apparently me, your landlord and everyone else in the free world read this differently than you do.....
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,692 AG
    Alright
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    rock_fish wrote: »
    I sent a formal letter to my landlord stating I am moving for my job and breaking the lease 1 month early, and he returns, in an email, he says he does no agree and will file judgement in the courts for the last months rent. Mind you he also stated rent is due june 1, and I received this email about 15 min ago.

Lease states nothing about early termination. Am I in the wrong? What should I do?

Does he not already have your last month's rent as part of the deposit?
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
    Yes and a deposit.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    so he takes the deposit and the last months rent.....Thats the judgement.....No big deal.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thats how I see it, but this foreigner has been unreasonable since day one. The other tenants have all left recently due to his fits of anger and irrational behavior. If it were stated in the lease, this would not be an issue and I would follow the lease. But its not, that is my issue
  • DesperadoDesperado Posts: 147 Officer
    If the lease doesn't address early termination then it's not an option. Did the landlord breach first?
    G/B/A
    Not an option for whom? I understand it as something not stated or unclear benefits the tenant.

ANd no he didnt breach anything, just has been a typical bad landlord, not wanting to fix anything, taking days to actually fix things, etc.
  • BibBib Posts: 2,357 Captain
    rock_fish wrote: »
    ANd no he didnt breach anything, just has been a typical bad landlord, not wanting to fix anything, taking days to actually fix things, etc.

Sounds like you wouldn't get your deposit back anyway, He'll always find something wrong to keep it.
    Bib wrote: »
    Sounds like you wouldn't get your deposit back anyway, He'll always find something wrong to keep it.
    I figured that long ago and accepted it
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,255 Officer
    You should not forfeit a security deposit unless you damaged the property, however the last months rent is probably his to keep.
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,078 Admiral
    All the BS aside, this is why its smart (and highly advisable) to insist that a 1 paragraph addendum be added to any home lease that states you can break the lease (without penalty) with 30 day notice if you take a job that is more than 45 miles from your current address.
  • mad dog bitemad dog bite Posts: 423 Officer
    What kind of Filthy foreigner is he???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,564 Captain
    If he has 1st, last and security walk away. You're good.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,342 Admiral
    What kind of Filthy foreigner is he???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The worst kind. He's from Georgia!
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • bigironbigiron Posts: 543 Officer
    I would contact him and ask him what he wants to clear things up. He might just want that last months rent. If he becomes unreasonable and you can prove there is no early termination clause, then he will most likely be wasting his time in court. Make sure every coorespondence is in writing sent certified mail. Never ever take anybody's word for anything...always get it in writing. Even if you have a discussion with him in person, write a letter summarizing the discussion and mail it to him. Also, keep in mind that if he does go to court and does win, it could cost you a lot more than just the months rent.
  • SaltydawgSaltydawg Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Just negotiate it, truth be told if you leave chances are he won't do anything because it is more hassle than it is worth.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    If he already has the last months rent and that month is for June then you have not broken the lease. If he's a jerk I'd send him a letter saying I'd be out at the end of June and for him to keep the last months rent. Take pictures or a video of the place before you move just in case he takes you to court.
    SJC wrote: »
    If he has 1st, last and security walk away. You're good.

why would you walk away from a security deposit if you did not damage the property?
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,735 Captain
    abovebored wrote: »
    why would you walk away from a security deposit if you did not damage the property?

Because you broke the lease agreement?:huh
    That's what last months rent is for.
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    Tarpon65 wrote: »
    The worst kind. He's from Georgia!

Now just wait a dam minute!
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    Move on. Send him a letter telling him to keep the money for the inconvenience. (He's going to, anyway).

Don't even give it another thought.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,564 Captain
    abovebored wrote: »

Beacuse you won't see a dime of that, and you will have to take him to court to get it. Time= money

and oh yeah, you broke the lease.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    If you're walking away earlier than the lease period states, you're breaking the terms of the lease and will take the financial penalty. Very simple.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 7,045 Admiral
    How is it walking away if you've paid thru the end of the lease term?
    Who cares if you vacate? How is it breaking the lease?

Is there a stipulation in the lease that you must physically reside there until
    the end of the lease term? That would be moronic. This is a rhetorical
    question btw.