ECO Boost F-150 = JUNK NHTSA Probe !

NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,283 Captain
The Eco Boost debacle deepens !!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/28/ford-f-150-ecoboost-in-nhtsa-probe-for-acceleration-issue/

According to Automotive News, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is launching a probe into 400,000 Ford F-150 models over possible acceleration problems. According to the article, NHTSA has received 95 reports "alleging incidents of reduced engine power during hard accelerations" on 2011 to 2013 F-150 models equipped with the company's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.

Automotive News reports that Ford has issued three technical service bulletins "related to intermittent stumble/misfire on acceleration from highway cruise in humid or damp conditions," according to the government agency's documents. About one third of the 95 reports NHTSA has received cited humid or rainy conditions when these problems allegedly occurred.

These technical service bulletins have allowed dealers to address a "condition related to moisture accumulation in the charge air cooler during extended highway cruising at constant throttle in humid or damp conditions," AN reports, citing NHTSA documents. Furthermore, the TSB outlines details for "reprogramming the powertrain control module with the latest calibration and installing a new CAC and air deflector plate."

A Ford spokesperson told Automotive News that the company "will cooperate with the NHTSA investigation, as we always do."

Ford was recently involved in a bit of lawsuit trouble regarding its 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, where plaintiffs in Ohio claimed that the engine "contained serious latent design, manufacturing, or assembly defects." One of those alleged defects was that the engine could lose power quickly, which could certainly be related to this NHTSA probe.
want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/

Replies

• Mango TangoMango Tango Posts: 2,019 Captain
    It was close.

I had a 2013 Eco and a 2013 5.0 FX2 supercrew sitting side by side on the dealer lot. Same color, same everything. I test drove them both and was impressed with both other than the wimpy sound of the Eco. Thank God the 5.0 is in my driveway rather than the Eco. What an expensive mistake that would have been.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    water injection used to be a great add on power feature. Ford provides it at no charge. :) I'm not sure 95 complaints about stumbling in 400,000 makes it junk. The Ford logo does.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,283 Captain
    not sure 95 complaints about stumbling in 400,000 makes it junk

Very true LOL just couldn't resist
    want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I have loved mine in my Flex. Tons of power for a wagon and great mileage. Hope it continues.
    since it's just a turbo charged DFI motor I have no doubt it will continue. It just has an intake pooling issue.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,349 AG
    My uncle has 40K on his and not a single problem.
    Warning Level 2
    SAENole wrote: »
    My uncle has 40K on his and not a single problem.

.....and I sincerely hope he continues to be problem free. I think the real harm will come at resale.

My nephew likes my truck so much he wants one, so we are both looking online and the Eco inventory is about 10 to 1. It's going to get ugly.
    because the dealer is ordering more ecoboosts?
    CaptTater wrote: »
    because the dealer is ordering more ecoboosts?

.......old inventory that's not moving due to complaints being brought to light. I know the GM at one of the local dealerships.
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
    95 out of 400,000... Wow, I'm askeered....
    Water rat

• HoltHolt Posts: 971 Officer
    I might just take one of those over inventoried ECO's off their hands if they get desperate enough to sell one right. Tundra is near 110k and still looks new...wonder if I can trade it strait up?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    .....and I sincerely hope he continues to be problem free. I think the real harm will come at resale.

My nephew likes my truck so much he wants one, so we are both looking online and the Eco inventory is about 10 to 1. It's going to get ugly.

I find it odd people dishing a turbo charged engine, this may be new to ford but they will figure it out. I have owned a tsi 2 liter direct injection motor for about three years now. I got about 260 hp about the same in torque and still get 30 mpg ... towes my flats skiff fine. :huh
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
    Isn't the mpg almost the same as the 5.0? Why would you buy a Eco if that's true? Torque maybe?
  • bigironbigiron Posts: 543 Officer
    I never really cared about the eco boost. I know some people love them. Just can't get used to the 6 cyl in a truck I guess. I would buy that 5.0 all day long if I had a choice between the two. From what I have read Ford already has a fix for the eco boost, so maybe they will be more reliable.
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,735 Captain
    CaptTater wrote: »
    water injection used to be a great add on power feature. Ford provides it at no charge. :) The Ford logo does.

At least it wasn't built with your tax dollars. That's a hell of a lot more than GM or Chrysler can say.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,762 Captain
    At least it wasn't built with your tax dollars. That's a hell of a lot more than GM or Chrysler can say.

Chrysler paid back every penny! GM took the money, ran and went bankrupt anyhow.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,762 Captain
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Isn't the mpg almost the same as the 5.0? Why would you buy a Eco if that's true? Torque maybe?
    Been a Ford man all my life, wife and i bought 10 fords, 8 new in 12 yrs with the company, a couple more at used lots. Last yr looked at eco and 5.0. My thoughts exactly, as quote. Wanted 5.0, just wasnt ready for the eco idea. Didn't matter, ford decided they didn't want me buying either! Went across stree bought A2012 Ram 1500. 2-3 mpg better and lots more power, especially towing than any 5.4 i ever owned. Thanks Ford!
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    rock_fish wrote: »
    Because turbo's are really cool when you step on the gas peddle!
    tunaman wrote: »
    Chrysler paid back every penny! GM took the money, ran and went bankrupt anyhow.

Actually Fiat paid back every penny, not Chrysler. And yes GM took the money and ran.
  • locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    I just bought a new truck. Wish I had bought one that was manly and high quality like Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Instead I bought a wimpy ole' 5.7l Tundra CrewMax. Got damned rice burner!

I do like me some gas turbo cars, not trucks, cars! For a truck I want low end torque from the get go.
    loco wrote: »
    I just bought a new truck. Wish I had bought one that was manly and high quality like Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Instead I bought a wimpy ole' 5.7l Tundra CrewMax. Got damned rice burner!

I do like me some gas turbo cars, not trucks, cars! For a truck I want low end torque from the get go.

Proof positive that it doesn't take long to realize your mistake when purchasing Japanese vehicles.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,690 AG
    When are we going to see an f150 wi5h a small turbo diesel and good mpg and towing?
    loco wrote: »

I guess it will tow that little boat as well as any grocery getter.
    Actually Fiat paid back every penny, not Chrysler. And yes GM took the money and ran.
    You mean RAN as in paid it back? Ford too.
    Don't let facts stop you though.. carry on.

"KANSAS CITY, Kan., April 21 /PRNewswire/ -- General Motors Company Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre today announced that GM has made its final payment of $5.8 billion to the U.S. Treasury and Export Development Canada, paying back its government loans in full, ahead of schedule.

The announcement came at a ceremony here to highlight an investment of $257 million at GM's Fairfax, Kansas, and Detroit Hamtramck assembly centers. The investment will prepare Fairfax to build the next generation of Chevrolet's award-winning Malibu, and make Detroit Hamtramck a second source for Malibu, ensuring that Chevrolet can meet market demand for this popular mid-size sedan."

Bless your heart. It exactly was built with our tax dollars. GM spent it's cash on hybrids and electrics over the last 15yrs will Ford invested in outsourced motors and Mazdas. I don't know that Ford has repaid it.
    "Ever since the federal bailout of General Motors and Chrysler, Ford has boasted of its bootstrapped turnaround, but two years later, Ford is the only Detroit automaker to receive government loans to retool plants that make more fuel-efficient vehicles and powertrains.

The U.S. Department of Energy made loans available to automakers for developing more fuel-efficient engines and transmissions to meet stricter fuel economy standards.

Ford received $5.9 billion in June 2009 and has drawn down more than $4.5 billion to date to retool 11 plants in five states, said spokeswoman Christin Baker in Washington, D.C."

Those plants build ecoboost crap. :)

BOOM
    Ford did indeed accept Goverment money to fund research and development of more fuel efficient powertrain assemblies. I would not argue that or the fact that those loans are still outstanding.
    They did not accept goverment funds to avoid becoming insolvent as did GM.

As to the Mazda comment, no manufacturer has purchased and re-badged more vehicles than GM.

BOOM BOOM.
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    Good, Now I'll be able to pick one up cheap when I retire the Excursion, then get the fix they are working on.

Tater, what happened to the 'Burb you hooked Polar up with?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,936 Captain
    Y'all almost need a separate forum for this tired debate. Can we get back to bashing the f150?
    Ford did indeed accept Goverment money to fund research and development of more fuel efficient powertrain assemblies. I would not argue that or the fact that those loans are still outstanding.
    They did not accept goverment funds to avoid becoming insolvent as did GM.

As to the Mazda comment, no manufacturer has purchased and re-badged more vehicles than GM.

BOOM BOOM.

AND to retool their factory. If they were required to make more efficient vehicles (they were) then we had to loan them money to do it while GM had already spent the money on their efficiency and electrics what's the difference?

BOOM BOOM BOOM.. you can't admit you were wrong and then BOOM.. well you can but it's silly. :)
    Did GM pay back their loans? Did the US make money from GM? Did Ford NOT pay back the money the borrowed from us tax payers? BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM...
    Good, Now I'll be able to pick one up cheap when I retire the Excursion, then get the fix they are working on.

Tater, what happened to the 'Burb you hooked Polar up with?

He destroyed it when it was 15yrs old by filling the tank up with water and sludge.

Explosion-Image-by-US-Department-of-Defense.jpg