Home Off Topic

What if...

CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
...you had a pregnant wife and she underwent amniocentesis and the results were that the fetus had genetic issues that would render a mentally handicapped child.

And you could get an injection of a GM chord blood cell that would cure the child.

Would you;

1) Abort the fetus
2) Carry to term as is or,
3) Have the injection?

Replies

• HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    what if the amniocentesis concluded the child would have blond hair and be of average intelligence, and you wanted a brunnette who was above average in smarts? Would you take a pill to change the kid?
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    What exactly is GM Chord Blood?
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    rrbgtt wrote: »

A "what if".
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    its a minor chord
  • smallboatsmallboat Posts: 1,603 Captain

Genetically Modified Chord Blood. Probably harvested from the umbilical cord of a previous birth.
    smallboat wrote: »
    Genetically Modified Chord Blood. Probably harvested from the umbilical cord of a previous birth.

If this is the case; I'd opt for the injection without hesitation.
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,690 AG
    Dang....just answer the question with out all the other talk.

I'd have to think about this one.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    We may have choices like this in the future.

Folks are playing around with this now.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21163822

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7749118
    If this is the case; I'd opt for the injection without hesitation.

You sure do put a lot of faith in the scientists who modified it. We can't even make decent cars. What makes you think we can fix a genetic abnormality with little/no side effects?
    You sure do put a lot of faith in the scientists who modified it. We can't even make decent cars. What makes you think we can fix a genetic abnormality with little/no side effects?

The way it was proposed in the question. Guaranteed mentally handicapped child or a possible cure. That's a no brainer.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,451 AG
    I would chant and burn stuff
    and throw a handful of armadillo bones
    up in the air to determine whether I
    should kill them both or just the baby in
    the name of my loving angry veangeful
    God who doesn't want us to play with
    stem cells because some guy said so.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • RRRRRR Posts: 8,218 Officer
    injection
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The way it was proposed in the question. Guaranteed mentally handicapped child or a possible cure. That's a no brainer.

And if your "possible cure" makes things worse than the original handicap? Say....like "Flowers for Algernon"?
    injection, skippy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • camojoecamojoe Posts: 1,117 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »
    ...you had a pregnant wife and she underwent amniocentesis and the results were that the fetus had genetic issues that would render a mentally handicapped child.

And you could get an injection of a GM chord blood cell that would cure the child.

Would you;

1) Abort the fetus
    3) Have the injection?

According to you, men wouldn't have any choice at all. What gives? :shrug
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Groucho Marx
    And if your "possible cure" makes things worse than the original handicap? Say....like "Flowers for Algernon"?

There were only 3 answers. It's a non real thing ya know.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    I'd opt for the Toyota blood chord injection. I don't do GM anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The possibility for the failure was not mentioned in the question. It stated the injection would cure the child.
    micci_man wrote: »
    There were only 3 answers. It's a non real thing ya know.

You are wrong on two things.
    First, there are only 3 answers, but many little parts to discuss in each answer.
    Second, it isn't a "non real thing". This is happening. You should read a few more medical science articles written over the last 10 years.
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    If the injection would "cure" the child then yes...if not abort
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    a better one would have been what if the child would turn out like cyclist
    169304.GIF
    skippy, injection
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You are wrong on two things.
    First, there are only 3 answers, but many little parts to discuss in each answer.
    Second, it isn't a "non real thing". This is happening. You should read a few more medical science articles written over the last 10 years.

You are too technical and read into things to much. I don't give a rip if it is going on in labs today. That wans't part of the question.
    no abortion, skippy
    injection, skippy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    If it said my baby would turn out like Cyclist... Option A

J/K Pete :grin
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Cyclist wrote: »

Would you;

1) Abort the fetus
    3) Have the injection?

4) go fishing.
  • SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    Need pics of the pregnant wife before deciding.
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,741 Captain
    Need pics of the pregnant wife before deciding.

:grin
    "Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Do you mean mentally handicapped like an IQ of 85? If so that is calling an entire average of a race mentality disabled and in need of either repair or abortion. Not a particularly ethical practice.
    I would consider the injection. We chose not to have the tests because we were very low risk but some of the basic blood tests did point out our last child had 30% chance or better of CP and we decided an abortion was not in the cards. We continued and had our 3rd perfect child.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Is it too late to get the injection for some of our forum members ?
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."