Home Off Topic

Cali man arrested after shooting at burglers

tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
What do you think, does this guy deserve to be arrested?

A California man is facing possible charges after he fired shots at three burglary suspects who appeared to be casing his neighborhood.

Fox 5 reports 57-year-old James Monroe says he was in his San Diego home when he saw the suspects steal from his neighbor's house. Then, he says, they returned less than an hour later in a car.

Monroe allegedly told his wife to call police, and headed outside armed with a gun. The car began speeding away, so Monroe allegedly fired two shots at it.

A male in the car was hospitalized. The two other passengers, 18-year old Tronicqua Yvonne Henderson and 19-year old Javonna Renae Percy-Simpson, were arrested.

“The female driver she had a felony warrant for auto theft. She was arrested. The female passenger in the back had a warrant too and was also arrested,” Lt. Kevin Mayer of the San Diego Police Department told Fox 5.

However Monroe was also arrested.

“As with any level of force, especially deadly force your level of actions are going to be critiqued,” Mayer told Fox 5. “We’re doing a very thorough investigation as with any force.”

Monroe made bail Wednesday, and is waiting to hear from the district attorney if he will face charges.

The neighbor who was allegedly robbed, however, says he should be commended for his actions.
“It’s not right. He’s a really good person,” Alice Lazo told Fox 5.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/30/calif-homeowner-arrested-after-firing-shots-at-suspected-burglars-in/?test=latestnews#ixzz2Uly6CaUt

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    It was a stupid thing to do and against the law. But I can see people becoming frustrated by the lack of law enforcement that allows these punks to terrorize communities.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • badbullgatorbadbullgator Posts: 1,604 Captain
    Based only on what I just read, yeah he has some splainin to do. He may be justified fearing that they were returning to do him harm. He may also be guilty of reckless endangerment, discharging a firearm or whatever state laws allow since he left the relative safety of his home and fired at a fleeing suspect who at that point was no longer a threat.
    He has to be arrested in this case and have a court decide if he was right or wrong because there is a chance the information in the story is incorrect (that never happens), or that there are more details that are not reported or known at this time. I lean towards him getting charged and convicted being that it is California so you start out as a criminal if you own a firearm and because if the story is correct he shot at a fleeing suspect that was no threat to him (of course it could be argued that they had returned once so they could simply go to the end of the street, turn around, come back and run you over = fear for your life, but then there is still the old came out of the relative safety of his house...).
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
  • designated_hitterdesignated_hitter Posts: 837 Officer
    People with guns think they are superheroes these days. I am all for guns, I have some myself but I know where to draw the line. Like not taking my concealed weapon to disneyworld and losing it in a ride for a kid to find.
    I just noticed they didn't even rob his house or car. It was a neighbors home. At the time how did he know they were not authorized to be there?
    He is in deep dodo
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

• NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    People with guns think they are superheroes these days. I am all for guns, I have some myself but I know where to draw the line. Like not taking my concealed weapon to disneyworld and losing it in a ride for a kid to find.

Making generalized statements is ridiculous, and is akin to making a Racist comment.

We need to hold people accountable for their personal actions.

I have owned guns my entire life, I have NEVER felt the need to even THINK about leveling a gun at another person.
    The same goes for all of my gun owning friends and family.

IF this idiot in fact, shot at people fleeing in the street, who were not a direct and immediate threat to him, he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    tag wrote: »

didnt read your post. do you think this guy should be arrested?
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle SoFlo Baby!Posts: 761 Officer
    Guy makes properly trained gun owners look bad... Ducky.....
    Water rat

• tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    didnt read your post. do you think this guy should be arrested?

Didn't read your post as you seem to be posting drivel in response to evey post I make. :rolleyes
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    If what we are reading is what really happened [sic], then the guy is an idiot.
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    I'm conflicted.
    I'm glad the punks with the warrants are off the streets.
    I'm also glad the cowboy that went out shooting at them as they fled is off the street.

Win-Win?
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    I'm conflicted.
    I'm glad the punks with the warrants are off the streets.
    I'm also glad the cowboy that went out shooting at them as they fled is off the street.

Win-Win?

That's kind of what I'm thinkin
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Wrong> he was lucky as hell his bullet didn't go into some house and kill somebody...
    the left loves people like this...he was "STUPID" for going out there and shoot at a fleeing
    car... Call the cops and that it your job is done...

I hate it when I hear stories like this and then they want "Gun Owners' to step up and try to defense this
    ****.... just like in anything else... there are "Full ****" in every group :banghead :banghead
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,447 AG
    He deserves to be in jail for a long time and lose his right to a firearm, is what he deserves.

Just like the punks he shot at.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,689 AG
    He should not have fired his gun. If he caught them in or exiting HIS house then yes.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,447 AG
    And why did you put the names of the occupants of the vehicles in bold?

Are they someone we're supposed to know or recognize? Otherwise why would their names be of special concern?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • MosesMoses Posts: 1,203 Officer

Are they someone we're supposed to know or recognize? Otherwise why would their names be of special concern?

batmanrunning-jurassicpark.gif
    The peanuts and beer took its toll. I had to fart really bad. I would normally ease away and let it out. I thought it was time for her to grow up.
    It was a varoooom! It shook the pine needles off the trees. She broke and ran.
    "Daddy, you stink!"
    She's my best buddy to this day! You never know how these things will work out!
    Sayin... Reck

1387463400_20_1_USD_5_default.png
    Joey Buttons - FRIEND FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    He chose poorly and will do time.
  • AlexKintnerAlexKintner Posts: 634 Officer
    Of course he should have been arrested. I doubt he will do time... unless there are priors.
    I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".
    Didn't read your post as you seem to be posting drivel in response to evey post I make. :rolleyes

i need more than a 9-sentance post to properly convict or relieve someone of a crime.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    i need more than a 9-sentance post to properly convict or relieve someone of a crime.

WOW...I did not Realize that FSFF is a Court of Law.....Amazing, I cannot believe the power we as members of this site, hold.
    WOW...I did not Realize that FSFF is a Court of Law.....Amazing, I cannot believe the power we as members of this site, hold.

stick around fng, the power of this forum is unfathomable
  • PhishbohnPhishbohn Posts: 2,981 Captain
    Might get a reckless endangerment charge. Probably should. Might get sued too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson.

To point out they are women. DUH!!!