Home Off Topic

Portable garage

monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
Hey guys I was thinking about getting the portable garage harbor freight sells. It's like 299 or some thing like that it is 10x20x8 I think and was wondering if any one has used this. All the videos on YouTube of it are from people up north and they say they get a few seasons out of the tarps. I was wondering if it would be worth it to get that or just a basic tarp canopy and get tarps for the sides. I am storing my s10 in it and maybe use it as a little work shop so I can get out if the rain and sun. If you have any experience with this let me know what you think about it.
ted.gif
ted.gif

Replies

• gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 656 Officer
    I have a Double Wide one (I think it's 20x20) about a year is all the Silver Tarps last,You will want to anchor it some way so it dosen't blow over in heavy winds I have mine anchored using the screw in the ground Mobile Home Anchors(4) & 3/16" cable
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    I've seen them hold up to cat 2 hurricanes. Not top end in that category, but still, if anchored properly, they hold up pretty well.

I think the standard white tarps last longer than the silver ones. I have a friend that has one about 10 years old. The tarps need to be replaced every few years, but the metal is pretty solid. They put them up and down a few times a month. That in itself is hard on them. They do fairs and such.

Looks for some old barbell weights, the big ones (20+ lbs) and use those to anchor the corners. If you can secure one side to a structure, ie; fence, house, it will stay even better.
  • FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    Yeap, the boat has been under on for over 10 years now. Replace the tarp every 2 years or so. Boat is 13 years old and the cushions have only had to be recovered once.
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    So they are worth the money then. How much are the tarps to cover it roughly when they need replacing
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • bigironbigiron Posts: 543 Officer
    www.kingcanopy.com. They have a good product and also have replacement tarps and accessories.
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    Ill check them out
    ted.gif
    ted.gif