Where do we have to go to find red snapper?

One thing I've never caught nor really tried for in this part of Florida is red snapper. With the short season coming up I think I want to give it a try but I have no idea where they are. Are they even within 30 miles offshore? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the towers off Marco held red snapper. Is this true?

Replies

• Naples SpearoNaples Spearo Posts: 112 Officer
    go deep or stay home for Red Snapper... you need to hit atleast 150'......I know i like 170' more.......gotta run around 70-80 miles....maybe a little less, maybe.....
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    Due west from Redfish Pass, I start catching them about 130 feet with the bite being strongest around 160
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    That is what I was afraid of. Not worth going 60 miles out.
  • AlexNAlexN Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Go to your local fish market :rotflmao
  • GamekillaGamekilla Posts: 461 Officer
    So if we do make the trip out 60 miles how do you catch them? Are they on wrecks or hard bottom? What kind of bait works? Do we chum or no chum?
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    I don't see many on wrecks unless it's at least 160 or so feet of water. I have a few wrecks in 250 that are covered with them. However, the most are caught on bottom right along with groupers. There is no need to chum for them. Unlike other snappers, ARs are very aggressive eaters. Pinfish, sardines and squid will do the trick.
    Out of Gordans pass how far out do you have to go to be in 160ft? Do you chum for them? How far out for 250ft? I am putting a trip together for Monday. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
    Gamekilla wrote: »
    Out of Gordans pass how far out do you have to go to be in 160ft? Do you chum for them? How far out for 250ft? I am putting a trip together for Monday. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Looking at my charts from gordons pass to 150 is about 67 NM due west. 250 is about 100 NM due west.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Finsfan wrote: »
    One thing I've never caught nor really tried for in this part of Florida is red snapper. With the short season coming up I think I want to give it a try but I have no idea where they are. Are they even within 30 miles offshore? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the towers off Marco held red snapper. Is this true?

60 to 70 miles do west of Naples or trailer the boat to Sanibel , then head out of Redfish pass 40 miles ,,,,, or do what i do , charter a middle grounds trip out of St Pete or Veince
    JSTickum wrote: »
    60 to 70 miles do west of Naples or trailer the boat to Sanibel , then head out of Redfish pass 40 miles ,,,,, or do what i do , charter a middle grounds trip out of St Pete or Veince

I have a family member coming down to venice that loves to fish and I actually thought about trailering the boat there for a weekend. How far out do you have to go off venice?
    Do they hang out on wrecks or live bottom? I am first timer. once we get in the right depth, how do find the fish? I know of a few wrecks in the 70 mile range, should I start there??
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    You can start picking them up in 125, sometimes shallower if you have numbers that hold them (but not consistently). Deeper will generally be better. We have typically found them mixed in with the red grouper. Just look for the same type of bottom you'd want for red grouper fishing, broken hard bottom or semi-live bottom. If they are there they will feed aggressively. Squid and sardines usually do the trick. They will bite on pinfish too but their mouths are smaller than red grouper so you may have a tougher time getting hooked up on big pinfish. I've had better luck with squid and sardines, or smaller pins. I prefer to downsize my hooks as they are more skilled in stealing bait vs red grouper. I use 6-0 circle hooks for the ARS, as the 8-0 hooks or larger often come back empty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doubledupdoubledup Posts: 235 Officer
    I fish out of Boca Grande, 2 weeks ago we caught ARS up to 25 pounds in two different spots 1 spot is in 115 and the other was in 117 feet. I do not have much experince with red snappers, when I use to fish offshore a lot we never ran that deep, now that i'm getting back into the offshore thing we have not fished inside of 100 feet. Off boca 100 feet is 30 miles out I think that spot in 117 is around 35ish. We are going to run out on Saturday to 160ish and work our way back in, 160 feet off Boca is around 50 miles. It takes a further run out of naples to reach deeper water. Hopefully Saturday is nice, it is the only day I have open to go during the short season, every other day I have tarpon charters booked, it sucks to have to throw them back but the fishery is coming back great from what I understand.
  • BenefitTournamentsBenefitTournaments Posts: 250 Officer
    I have fished a tower 50-55 miles out of Marco in 100'... just about a mile or 2 from a big wreck... I believe the California if my memory serves me well... never caught a red snapper at either spot... plenty of flag yellowtails and not so big mangos... plenty of permit, goliath grouper, cobia, AJ's (on the wreck) and kings...

Of course its been a decade since I fished those spots but doubt the red snapper are there...

*If my memory serves me well... there is a tower SW of this tower in 130' or so... now that one might just have some Red Snapper on it...

Shallowest I have caught Red Snapper (and pretty darn big ones) is in 105-110' near the pipe off St. Pete... notice I said near and not on!!! Just a spot that holds them... next one on the list is in 120+ just to show you how sporadic they are until you hit 130' where they become more dense...
    Billy E.
  • swaptrexswaptrex Posts: 198 Deckhand
    AlexN wrote: »
    Go to your local fish market :rotflmao
    Strong this.
  • VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    When we target the red snapper we head out into the 140+ territory. Look for bait balls suspended on the depth finder as the snapper move them around. When you catch one, there are many many more down there. I have caught a couple american reds on wrecks in the 130' range however they were right on the mark at 16". We will start at 140' troll to 160' with doing zig zags and what not to cover the most area. When you are out there, keep some small lures tied up to some light spinning set up's as the Mahi are out there right now. We had a school swim up to us in 100' down by naples last trip. Look for birds and crab bouys floating in the water, bunch of small birds diving = school of peanut mahi. No size limit on our coast by the way.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Hoping to be out there on Sunday.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Finsfan wrote: »
    I have a family member coming down to venice that loves to fish and I actually thought about trailering the boat there for a weekend. How far out do you have to go off venice?

We run out of the Venice Jetties and Big Pass in Sarasota. We find Red Snapper in the same depth noted above 135' to 170'. From the Jetties the run is about 40 miles.

We are heading out on Sunday then again on Monday.