Home Off Topic

DUI -- what do you do- breathalyzer or not

Replies

• razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    SJC wrote: »
    Getting shiffaced and driving is bad news.

i concur
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    It is written on the bottom of your FDL "Operation of a motor vehicle constitutes consent to any sobriety test required by law"...... Plain and simple.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    It is written on the bottom of your FDL "Operation of a motor vehicle constitutes consent to any sobriety test required by law"...... Plain and simple.

can i have a lawyer present? If so, whats the time frame?
  • PhescadorPhescador Posts: 3,838 Captain
    Never blow. Ever. Especially the PBT. Waste as much time of theirs as possible. The longer you wait the better your chances of blowing under the limit.

I was pulled over for "speeding" once(wasn't speeding, had the cruise set at exactly the speed limit) coming back from the bar. Had a few but wasn't drunk. Was probably straddling the line though. So I complied to the Field Tests. Cop never asked for a PBT. Passed all of them with flying colors. Cop told me to wait a minute. Came back and gave me a warning for my tag light being out. "I thought you pulled me over for speeding officer?" "Just get out of here kid." "Thank you, sir! Have a wonderful evening."

Probably would have just let me go from the beginning if there weren't four other wasted fools in my car wreaking of alcohol.
    Ewe Inn Joy Mice Elf.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,763 AG
    Just don't bother to get a license or insurance in the first place. They can't away something you never had.
    Vote for the other candidate
    if you fail a field sobriety test are you inclined to take a breathalyzer? if so, which one is (test) more advantageous or not, depending on your status?
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    Seems like every time I read about a cop, lawyer, or judge being hauled in for DWI they refuse to blow.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    if you fail a field sobriety test are you inclined to take a breathalyzer? if so, which one is (test) more advantageous or not, depending on your status?

Huh?
    23895.gif
  • PhescadorPhescador Posts: 3,838 Captain
    If you fail a field test they can take you in I believe.
    Ewe Inn Joy Mice Elf.
  • Capt.EdCapt.Ed Posts: 368 Deckhand
    If you don't care about the law enough to "drink and drive" then why would you care if you have a drivers license or not?
    It will be a sad day when the last little mom and pop marina is gone to developers and only the rich will be able to enjoy the waters of Florida.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    There is nothing in the law which says they have to allow your lawyer to be present to take breathalyzer (or even to consult with one first).

Keep in mind that blowing over 0.15, OR if a minor is in vehicle, Doubles your DUI penalties (fine or prison - not sure about suspension), AND requires ignition interlock device, and lenghty counseling program.

Your first Refusal of breathalyzer is not a crime, but gives you automatic 1 year suspension. Your Second Refusal is 18 month suspension AND a Misdemeanor charge. I am also pretty certain that you CANNOT get a provisional (work permit) after 2nd refusal.

You CAN refuse the Field Sobriety Test, but it is likely to get you arrested. Best is NOT to do it if you know you are impaired.

Most important - KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT!
    23895.gif
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    , I use a "white noise" where I just blab about anything that comes to mind but say nothing about the events at hand.

I'm shocked, Clean, clean, clean. :grin
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer

I use a "white noise" where I just blab about anything that comes to mind but say nothing about the events at hand.

Well that's consistent with your FS posts :banana
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    magot wrote: »
    I'm shocked, Clean, clean, clean. :grin

Well it forsure wouldnt work with your brothers that stayed at the Hilton, but anal police and goverment officals that run tape and write narritives of the after event become confused and subverted.....they start forgeting why they are there in the first place, which was to arrest me.....they start thinking this is a good guy and I like him.....stick your foot in the door and keep opening the possablilities....
    Do nothing. If you had a drink and the suspect you are drinking refuse all tests. Ask for an attorney. Say nothing and just let them arrest you book you. Say do nothing. Anything you say can/will be used against you.

ASK any LEO they will confirm...
    kodiakzach wrote: »
    If you are going to lose it for a year vs. lose it for 3 months if you blow, hmmm.. Seems like a no-brainer to take the test even if you know you will fail it.

If you do not blow you can have your license re-instated fully till the trial. Not a hardship one but regular. Do not blow, the evidence will doom you.
  • magotmagot Posts: 6,640 Officer
    Well it forsure wouldnt work with your brothers that stayed at the Hilton,

:huh Once again you've lost me, Clean, clean.
    Well that's consistent with your FS posts :banana

Many people cannot stay silent....If you ask them..."wheres the gun" and they dont answer....they might after being asked a few times....also if you arnt all seperated this "white noise" can add in your fellow brothers moral.....and you can pass thru the noise to each other information....
    magot wrote: »
    :huh Once again you've lost me, Clean, clean.

Your brothers that went north from point Yankee and made it home after years of a horrable stay at an extended stay.
  • Gator-BaitGator-Bait Posts: 291 Officer
    Don't blow and don't talk! Yes you'll go to jail but you won't get a DUI.
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 756 Officer
    Gator-Bait wrote: »
    Don't blow and don't talk! Yes you'll go to jail but you won't get a DUI.

This, then make sure you call a lawyer and bring him aprox $7500 so he can get you a broken trailer light ticket vs a DUI. Its all a money game!

A perquisite of the evolution for driving drunk, or being stopped after "just two beers", is that you get a free snack while being photographed. Memorize a few cell phone numbers now if you decide to drink and drive!
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    Longhaul wrote: »
    If your caught with one drink in ya while ya drive you deserve jail time. Its really a simple choice now isnt it?

That's not the law. The law says you can have as many drinks as you like, as long as you don't pass .08 on the BAC. Kind of.

I take it you do not drink and never have?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Wow! No definite answer!!
    1) agree with do not drive if you have been drinking
    2) friend has a lawyer
    3) I had been told not to blow and if that the delay going to station and maybe doing blood or blow there would lower the alcohol level. not sure this is true.
    4) Thanks Fish Haid for a clear response
    Also, some counties cannot use breathalyzer results for prosecution.
    They are mainly a "first step" to expedite the process for the cops.
    In the end, if you smell like alcohol and the cop wants to, you will
    go to jail. And if you're a regular joe, you'll be prosecuted and you
    will pay dearly.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • team getterdunteam getterdun Posts: 1,741 Captain
    If there are no injuries involved, can the police restrain you and [forcibly] take blood from you if you do not consent to the blood test?
    "Fundamentals are nothing but a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
    Cops can do anything they want.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    If you do not blow you can have your license re-instated fully till the trial. Not a hardship one but regular. Do not blow, the evidence will doom you.

Say nothing to the jailer also, they document everything. I had a friend who mentioned a political connection while being held. That was used against him.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Spinfisher wrote: »
    This, then make sure you call a lawyer and bring him aprox $7500 so he can get you a broken trailer light ticket vs a DUI. Its all a money game!
    Ask John Goodman. Without his millions, he'd be sitting in a cell with Bubba right now.
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    If there are no injuries involved, can the police restrain you and [forcibly] take blood from you if you do not consent to the blood test?
    My understanding is the only time they can do that is if there is an injury. One of the local police forces were going to set up roadside check points that were going to forcibly draw blood on anyone that refused the breathalyzer. Think that plan got shot down.