Deep shipwreck exploration off Miami - round 2

michael.barnettemichael.barnette Posts: 52 Deckhand
The weather finally allowed us to check out another multibeam sonar target off Miami last week, which turned out to be an old wooden-hulled vessel resting in 240 feet of water. The upper decks appear to have been swept off and rest approximately 300 feet away from the main hull. As the vessel is missing its running gear, odds are this was an intentional scuttling. But given the deterioration of the wreck, she has been down a good while.
Here is some footage of the wreck...I'd be interested in any thoughts as to what the objects off the stern may be. They are 3-4' in diameter and my first guess was mixing gear of some sort?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgFdJsKnIQ

Be sure to watch in HD and enjoy!
Cheers,
Mike

Replies

• MackokidMackokid Posts: 914 Officer
    Sweet Video!!
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    240! Dang!!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 737 Officer
    impressive
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    very cool & thanks for sharing! they look like props or prop protectors?
  • LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Nice video Mike - I use to work for OceanGate and we dove a submersible off Miami for about 10 months exploring the unknown wrecks. We were the company that found the WWII Hellcat off Miami. I'd love to compare info sometime.
    Lobstababe wrote: »
    Nice video Mike - I use to work for OceanGate and we dove a submersible off Miami for about 10 months exploring the unknown wrecks. We were the company that found the WWII Hellcat off Miami. I'd love to compare info sometime.

So the OP didnt dive 240'? used a submersible?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • michael.barnettemichael.barnette Posts: 52 Deckhand
    No, I was diving. OceanGate (different group) used their submersible to check out other artificial reefs off Miami.
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    The weather finally allowed us to check out another multibeam sonar target off Miami last week, which turned out to be an old wooden-hulled vessel resting in 240 feet of water. The upper decks appear to have been swept off and rest approximately 300 feet away from the main hull. As the vessel is missing its running gear, odds are this was an intentional scuttling. But given the deterioration of the wreck, she has been down a good while.
    Here is some footage of the wreck...I'd be interested in any thoughts as to what the objects off the stern may be. They are 3-4' in diameter and my first guess was mixing gear of some sort?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgFdJsKnIQ

Be sure to watch in HD and enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Mike

Very cool and lots of history on this kind of stuff out there. Just a heads up, I grew up in upper Key Largo since the mid 60's. My dad was friends with John Pennekamp and his other wealthy friends, like Judges, Lawyers, Politicians and the like, many who lived in Ocean Reef. Anyway, as a young boy I heard many stories as they talked having drinks or playing poker. Many of those stories were how they took their own old "stuff" offshore to sink for their own "private" reefs. Old boats, cars, small barges, cement mixers etc. This was mostly between the Elbow north to Key Biscayne all done in the late 60's to 70's that I knew of. And no, I dont have the GPS numbers :)
    No, I was diving. OceanGate (different group) used their submersible to check out other artificial reefs off Miami.

What is your set up to get down there??? How long is your return??
    How much gas do you use???
    Tell me all!!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    cool shots good on ya!
    What is your set up to get down there??? How long is your return??
    How much gas do you use???
    Tell me all!!!!

I am diving a closed circuit rebreather. Return (decompression) depends on depth and time at depth. For this dive, I just did a quick 20-minute ground-truthing dive, and total run time was about 75 minutes or so. I did not use much gas as the rebreather is extremely efficient and recycling gas; I probably only used a couple cubic feet of oxygen and trimix...
    Cheers,
    Mike
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,253 Officer
    Great vid Mike. But one would think there would be more larger fish on an unpublished wooden wreck in 240 feet?
    I suppose the answer is obvious. The local charter boats probably have known about it for years.
    Giimoozaabi
    Most likely. I don't think there are (m)any totally unknown wrecks out there....
    I am diving a closed circuit rebreather. Return (decompression) depends on depth and time at depth. For this dive, I just did a quick 20-minute ground-truthing dive, and total run time was about 75 minutes or so. I did not use much gas as the rebreather is extremely efficient and recycling gas; I probably only used a couple cubic feet of oxygen and trimix...
    Cheers,
    Mike

so you hot rod them? you do lots of mix? you go down deep often? where was you buddy?? I wanted to say I heard the scrubber but never dived that rig. it was suppost to have more compurers than a jet!!!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Cool video. Great quality.
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    awesome footage! Looks almost like old model-t car wheels in some of those shots...maybe a car transport? or maybe those were props as stated above?
  • rafterrafter Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Did any body notice the Lion Fish? I counted three about the 2.00 to 2.20 minute mark.
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Pretty cool video. Just think of the technology, or lack of back when that one hit the bottom. There was no diving back then.
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,770 Moderator
    Mike,

I watched your Miami Shipwreck Exp 1 video and you said you're using a Gopro H3 Black. Are you using a filter on the Gopro?

BTW, Great videos!!

Thanks
    No filter. Not a fan of the fake color effect.