Fishing in October2013/ Open Boats

Hey everyone,

I am taking my wife to sanibel/captiva for her birthday week of Sept 30 - October 7 2013. We will be staying at the tween waters inn. I would like to get some catching/fishing in and catch a dinner/table fare with her one of the days? Does anyone or can anyone recomend a good offshore/nearshore guide.

Or a boat that goes out and has split charter spots or walk up spots on it. I have been on the party bloat in Fort Myers called Captain Tonys (like 5 times) and have never been really impressed with the captain/crew or catch on it.

Thanks
Mike

Replies

• AlexNAlexN Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Yeah, I've been on Captain Tony's twice for their full-day trips and my first time was outstanding and the other time it was alright. The first time everyone was catching grouper after grouper non-stop, we caught like 40-50 sum slot grouper (as a boat) along with buckets full of snapper that day. The last time we went it wasn't the greatest... Me and my buddies caught snapper, but nothing compared to our first time were we brought home 4 slot grouper; granted it wasn't grouper season last time we went. Did you go on Cpt. Tony's when it was grouper season? If not, it may be something you should try as they probably go to different types of structure for grouper season.

Good luck! ~ Alex
  • Neuby777Neuby777 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I went during grouper season I think Gag might of been closed but the boat only caught one of those. We may of caught only 6 grouper total of a boat of 50 people fishing.

My main problem with Captain Tony's is I went on the 12 hr trip. It took about 3 hrs to get to the first spot and 3 hrs to get home. That left 6 hrs to fish minus the time it took to set anchor and hit 3-4 more areas.

I guess for a 12 hr trip I was expecting to get a good 8 hrs fishing and all the boat really caught was little grunts, mangrove and other snappers and some triggers. I also really don't like the bait selection on paty boats with them only offering squid chunks.
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    go on a no fish no pay charter. there are alot of them around here. most Guides are a little expensive when it comes to offshore, but they promise a good catch and I think I would rather pay a little more to catch something to bring back to the grill, then just pay for a 12 hour trip with a bunch of people on a boat where you are bunker dunkin squid. How ever, I caught a 30lb king fish on Captain Tonys boat for my 14th birthday 16 years ago and it was a AWESOME catch! I took all the money home with me. so, its a toss up. Personally I dont like offshore fishing. Im an inshore guy. You can get hooked up with a great back country guide around here who will put you on snook trout reds and tarpon, you only need a half day. Then you can take your wife out afterwards and not be noding off at dinner from being so tired :crowd
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neuby777Neuby777 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Doodidle wrote: »
    go on a no fish no pay charter. there are alot of them around here. most Guides are a little expensive when it comes to offshore, but they promise a good catch and I think I would rather pay a little more to catch something to bring back to the grill, then just pay for a 12 hour trip with a bunch of people on a boat where you are bunker dunkin squid. How ever, I caught a 30lb king fish on Captain Tonys boat for my 14th birthday 16 years ago and it was a AWESOME catch! I took all the money home with me. so, its a toss up. Personally I dont like offshore fishing. Im an inshore guy. You can get hooked up with a great back country guide around here who will put you on snook trout reds and tarpon, you only need a half day. Then you can take your wife out afterwards and not be noding off at dinner from being so tired :crowd

Can youg et me some names of the no fish no pay charter boats. I live in atlanta and am having a hard time finding something like that.
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    Neuby777 wrote: »
    Can youg et me some names of the no fish no pay charter boats. I live in atlanta and am having a hard time finding something like that.

Here is a link to a great captain out of matlacha florida, He can put you on the fish. The kicker about the no fish no pay, is that you always catch fish. So almost all charters will offer it if it is a back country charter. I would suggest talking to captain Bill. Here is his webpage. He has a great tower boat and can put you on the reds, snook and tarpon. http://www.fishpineisland.com/charter.html just tell him or his wife that Josh sent you. They will be out of town from the 8th till the begining of july, but you can book your trip for october.
    Hope this helps and Tight lines!
    ~doodidle~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]