Heading over from the east coast to fish Boca grand where can I get live bait?

Hey guys

I normally fish out of Ft. Pierce inlet. Buddy and I are planing to come fish the pass for a few days for tarpon. It will be my first time on the west coast. We're looking for a little help on where to find live bait in the area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Catchem up!!!!
BW
Bravo Whiskey
1997 Key Largo 201
99 honda 130
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Threadfins will be right by the docks on the north side of the pass.
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 661 Officer
    So you gave up 30 lb. bft's to go play bumper boats? Good luck man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • B.WilmotB.Wilmot Posts: 204 Officer
    Ty. Nuclear I appreciate the heads up.

Jens- I guess I'm passin on the wahoo too that one you got last weekend was a monster. I've been in fl for 6 years now and have never popped my cherrie on a ****. Going to try to solve that problem lol.

Catchem up!!!
    BW
    Bravo Whiskey
    1997 Key Largo 201
    99 honda 130
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    Take a few sabiki rigs for threads and a long dip net for crabs and you can get all the bait you need in the pass.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    LGI wrote: »
    Take a few sabiki rigs for threads and a long dip net for crabs and you can get all the bait you need in the pass.

Exactly!!!@# Most guys just dip the "pass-crabs" right in Boca Grande Pass with a dip net.
  • Seachaser24Seachaser24 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Have any of you guys ever fished out of carabelle I fish steinhatchee about every other weekend but gonna run over to carabelle on the 11th and try my luck on the snapper
  • beargonefishinbeargonefishin Posts: 64 Deckhand
    You can buy crabs at Elred's or pretty much any marina. That will at least get you some in the live well until the outgoing tide, then you can catch enough to last the rest of your trip.

Threadfins can be caught on a sabiki out by the cans/ markers outside the pass, or look for schools off the beaches. I've always had good luck with a large pinfish free lined in the little pass as well. (Between Gasparilla and little Gasparilla islands). Take some threadfins and crabs up to the 25' hole up in the harbor towards the rivers and you can also get away from the circus in BG Pass. Look on fishin franks website and you'll see where I'm talking about.
    . Double post.
  • Seachaser24Seachaser24 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Ok thanks we rented a house on the other side of the bridge from the mooring or so they said I haven't seen it yet is there a decent boat ramp pretty close. Also sorry about the double post this was my first day using this site
    Thanks
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 1,745 Officer
    Hows the rubrail on your boat? BTW..dont get pissed if some tower boat yaho runs you over or cuts you off. Ya see, thats what these yuppies consider inter active fishing in BG *** , er PASS. No wait, I had it right the first time.
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 1,745 Officer
    Oh and BTW, you would be far better off drifting Ch 2 bridge in the keys if ya want a gaurantee tarpon. Its a 2 hr drive south my man.
    Thank you guys for the help. We will be leaving the east coast on thurs the 6 th and will fish all weekend. Can you tell me what radio ch everyone is on. 68 or 72. We use both over here. I look forward to fishing with y'all for a while.

Catchem up!!!!
    BW
    Bravo Whiskey
    1997 Key Largo 201
    99 honda 130
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I got good rails long haul lol. And one rod loaded with 32 oz of lead lol. Hopefully we can all just get along !!!!!!

Catchem up!!!!!!
    BW
    Bravo Whiskey
    1997 Key Largo 201
    99 honda 130
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok thanks we rented a house on the other side of the bridge from the mooring or so they said I haven't seen it yet is there a decent boat ramp pretty close. Also sorry about the double post this was my first day using this site
    Thanks

Oh no, you're fine, I was the one that made the double post. Good Luck.