Flamingo 25MAY13!

So this was our second trip to Flamingo. The first one we had very little luck landing fish. Given that it's a 140 mile round trip, it was tough coming home with only one Redfish landed all day.

We were dockside by 0500 and in the water by 0530. Got to watch a beautiful sunrise as we planed through the channel on our way to our spot.
IMG_2729.jpg

Around 0615 we began casting topwater lures while poling through the flat. Instantly caught and landed a Jack, and then a huge Ladyfish. Things were looking up with tons of topwater activity from baitfish. Not long after those first two, I hooked and fought a large Snook, but he got away.

But then, wham!:
29inch_9lb_Redfish_MyFirst.jpg
This bad boy jumped out the water and swallowed my MirrOlure Topdog Jr! 29", 9 solid pounds! (This is me, USNavy_Angler)

No longer than 10 minutes later my buddy fights and lands a Snook like the one I lost, or maybe even the one I lost:
IMG_2733.jpg We were so excited with all the action we forgot to measure and weigh this bad boy, but we released him anyway. (This is David)

Then I hooked what I could have sworn was another Red, but to our surprise:
23inchGatorSeatrout_MyFirst.jpg
23" Gator trout!

Then, our buddy Anthony on the poling platform fought this bad boy with the pole between his legs! I mean this was right after releasing the big Snook:
IMG_2735.jpg

Then the action absolutely died. We poled for nearly 3 hours and did nothing but spook fish. That is, until around 1100. The wind picked up severely and it was tough to pole in any direction with the wind beating us up. Anthony got back on the pole after a solid hour of me polling and instatnly spotted a Red. David casted a Heddon Spook Jr on him and WHAM! What a fight:
32inch115lbRedfish.jpg
32" 11.5lbs!

10 minutes later Anthony spots another tailing Red, calls him out, "Sam, 10 o'clock, 50 yards out." I instantly cast my Top Dog Jr, and he torpedoes right towards it, and I mean INHALES the lure!
IMG_2747.jpg
Luckily he was 24" and 5lbs, so I got my one keeper Red for the day:
24inch5lbRedfish.jpg

Our first trip I failed to catch a Red. So on our return trip we were determined to get me my FIRST Red. We did that and more! Team Honey Badger is now in LOVE with Flamingo and cannot wait to be back!

Oh, and I never let my keepers go to waste!

image6-1.jpeg This is the 23" Gator trout, triple fried and delicious!

The following day I made blackened Redfish:
image7-1.jpeg

All in all, got my first two Reds ever, and my first Gator trout! It was a great day at Flamingo!
Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
Heroes On The Water
South Florida Chapter Secretary
[email protected]
Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Replies

• JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    Nice pictures, good eats!
  • reelboss185reelboss185 Posts: 188 Officer
    Wow thats awesome! My mouth just watered up a little bit!
    OK Trident Ultra 4.3 Lemongrasss
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,173 Officer
    nice
  • BeamerBeamer Posts: 113 Officer
    Mr Navy nice report and great catch. What area of Flamingo did you find the Reds? Not looking for specifics just and idea if it was the front side or back side.
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Beamer wrote: »
    Mr Navy nice report and great catch. What area of Flamingo did you find the Reds? Not looking for specifics just and idea if it was the front side or back side.

To be completely honest with you, one of my buddies has been to Snake Bight more than me and he navigated to the spot. I couldn't get there again if my life depended on it. But I can tell you it wasn't more than a 10-15 minute ride from the dock on our Johnson 40. I know that doesn't help at all, but what I hope you take from it is that it wasn't far. lol

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I was ecstatic to have finally caught a Redfish. I'm a huge C.A. Richardson fan and wanted nothing more than to catch a Red to relate to what he's saying. lol

The food recipes were from a chef buddy of ours. The Redfish was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Trout was excellent too.
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • BeamerBeamer Posts: 113 Officer
    Good Enough. Sounds like you were around the snake bite area. Nice job between you and your buddy. Did you guys run into any schooling Reds?
    Not that we could confirm, but I wouldn't call it impossible. We saw lots of spooked fish as we poled through. Very well could've been Reds.
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Tight work!
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    I can tell you it wasn't more than a 10-15 minute ride from the dock on our Johnson 40.

:wink
    :wink

What does that mean? lol
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • flatsstalkerflatsstalker Posts: 469 Deckhand
    What does that mean? lol

Good job, flamingo is on fire right now lots of reds
    09 Beavertail BTX
    1999 18 Dolphin backcountry
  • JAM-UPJAM-UP Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Nice report ... i was out there that same day we had a great day too... almost got the slam but the tarpon got away.
  • Salty girlSalty girl Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Well done! Flamingo always surprises and that's what keep us coming back every weekend (weather permitting!)
  • Salty girlSalty girl Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    What does that mean? lol
    laughing out loud :)
    It did look like a good day.

Come on out and I will explain:
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?112483-FFT-XII-July-13-Sign-Up

It's a good time.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    C A Richardson redefined the fishing show. Nice snook and reds.
    C A Richardson redefined the fishing show. Nice snook and reds.

Yes he did, I'm a big fan.
    Well done! Flamingo always surprises and that's what keep us coming back every weekend (weather permitting!)

Thank you!
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 436 Deckhand
    Hey USNavy Angler, what type of gear do you use and what kind of boat do you run.....just curious. LOL!
    Hey USNavy Angler, what type of gear do you use and what kind of boat do you run.....just curious. LOL!

Most of my gear is posted on my signature, but for these particular fish I was using a 6'6" light to medium action Star rod, with a Shimano Sedona 2500, 20lb power-pro braid, 20lb flouro leader, loop knot and a MirrOlure topdog Jr in mullet color. I get extremely long casts with that lure, even on the 6'6" Star, so I was able to drop it right into the schools. The boat is a 16' Sundance Skiff, with a 40HP Johnson, but we pole with a skinnywaterproducts push-pole.
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
    Yes, right over. LOL. Not sure how my mischievous sense of humor missed that one.
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • cypresscypress Posts: 400 Deckhand
    Nice gator trout
    An absolute pleasure to catch! thought it was a Red. lol
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 652 Officer
    Yes, right over. LOL. Not sure how my mischievous sense of humor missed that one.

good to see you have a sense of humor. So you coming out to play? http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?112483-FFT-XII-July-13-Sign-Up
    good to see you have a sense of humor. So you coming out to play? http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?112483-FFT-XII-July-13-Sign-Up

Definitely want to bro. I've discussed it with my two team mates, and one of us already decided to sit out in order to meet the 2 per boat. The issue we are dealing with now is just that there's not a lot of animal activity on the 13th of July, and we've had little to no success on days like the one the tournament will be held on. We know this from our log. Perhaps we will come out anyway just to participate and meet everyone.

I know I want to.
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 436 Deckhand
    Depends on where you're fishing. Tons of fish were caught last year on that day. Go out and pre-fish some new areas.

How big could your flamingo log be anyway? On page one of this very report, you mentioned it was only your second time ever to flamingo.:huh
    Depends on where you're fishing. Tons of fish were caught last year on that day. Go out and pre-fish some new areas.

How big could your flamingo log be anyway? On page one of this very report, you mentioned it was only your second time ever to flamingo.:huh

I've only logged two trips, but given the limited data, on days with little animal activity it was a very subpar day. However, I'm not discounting the tournament at all. I'm glad to have been invited and definitely want to participate. Please don't mistake my sharing what I've noticed with disinterest or superior knowledge or arrogance.

I intend on pre-fishing some new areas in the next 2-3 weeks for sure. Thanks for your input.
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
    If Ovi can catch fish on tournament day, anyone can.

It's the greatest fishery on the planet, anything can happen on any given day. I used to keep a fish log and after the first ten years what I learned was that a fishing log doesn't work. Wanna know what works . . . . ? It's simple, if you don't go, you won't know. I've heard it all and I have caught lots of fish on days when everyone said the conditions were bad. No fish in this season, caught them. No fish here on that season., caught them. No fish on a full moon,caught them. No fish on a west wind, yes, caught them on these days as well.

Just stay out of my spot. ;-)
    If Ovi can catch fish on tournament day, anyone can.

It's the greatest fishery on the planet, anything can happen on any given day. I used to keep a fish log and after the first ten years what I learned was that a fishing log doesn't work. Wanna know what works . . . . ? It's simple, if you don't go, you won't know. I've heard it all and I have caught lots of fish on days when everyone said the conditions were bad. No fish in this season, caught them. No fish here on that season., caught them. No fish on a full moon,caught them. No fish on a west wind, yes, caught them on these days as well.

Just stay out of my spot. ;-)

How can a beginner argue with that testimony? - I'm going to continue the log for now, but will make it out there for the tournament if everything else lines up. Thanks for the inspiration man!
    Heroes On The Water
    [email protected]
  • UrbanAnglerMiamiUrbanAnglerMiami Posts: 448 Officer
    Great job man! Near the ramp(s) spot are the best! :thumbsup
    "Exploring the Sublime of the Angling Worlds." HT