Turtle encounters

Haven't been fishing lately due to tough weather conditions so I threw together some vid of turtle encounters on the water. One of the last times out I had an enormous turtle surface from below my yak literally 1 foot away and scare the POOP out of me. I was retying and when it popped up and exhaled. It startled me so bad I almost fell out of the yak! I have been hoping to spot a cobe on one of these curious creatures but it hasn't happened yet. Anyways, here's some turtle zen for your enjoyment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    More turtle ****!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I saw quite possibly the biggest F**King turtle I've ever seen in about 125ft of water during the EKFT. If I hadn't been trying to break off my line from some prime florida real estate (aka, the bottom) I'd have taken a picture. Unfortunately, like most fisherman's tales...I have no proof. I've lived in So Fla my WHOLE life and have never seen one this big. I kid you not that the damned thing may have been 7-8 feet across. I've dove and seen them in the 6ft range...this thing was ridiculous.

About the turtle coming up and startling you? Don't feel bad, I was in 175ft of water last summer when I lost a jig on the bottom, I reeled up and i was trying to re-tie my uni from braid to leader. I was paying close attention to the knot I was tying when all of a sudden I heard that "whhhooooosh" and nearly fell out of my kayak. Literally, had to lean to one side to avoid the spill. A dolphin had come to check me out, surfaced and exhaled about 2 feet behind me. I thought I was going to have to change my shorts...
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Every time I have a close encounter with a turtle, they wait until I get out the camera and then they bolt! I never get good footage :-(
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Sweet Turtle loving. Chris that's funny during the Ekft I got turtle vid with U in the background lookin at it. The one thing that really freaked me out was me launching in dark alone(4am), and had a giant manta rubbing itself under my kayak and every time it circled me one of its wings will come out the water looking like a sharks fin. Freaked me out till first light and I finally saw it.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    Ya, seems like they always sneak up when the camera is off or away. Still managed to get a couple decent shots but most of the time they take off too quick like jcanracer said. The big one that scared me had a head the size of a basketball and was 1' from my knee. I almost whacked it with the paddle cause I thought it was gonna bite me or try and climb in the yak. I didn't really know **** was going on. Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 589 Officer
    My video doesn't have the Zen like music but least I got some video. Thanks for posting. You got some nice video.
  • One more castOne more cast Posts: 145 Officer
    I think I may of seen that turtle during the tournament. I saw a big one with barnacles on its back floating around in about 200ft of water. There are lots out there, but those huge ones aren't as common
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    I think I may of seen that turtle during the tournament. I saw a big one with barnacles on its back floating around in about 200ft of water. There are lots out there, but those huge ones aren't as common

If you'd have seen it you'd know. I see turtles all the time off dania/PE esp near the cut but this one....holy chit. :hairraiser
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    That was some nice up close n personal footage blazin_reels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]