Where to get Purina Fish Food in SW Florida

Looking to get some Purina Tropical Fish Food Starter in SW Florida. I was fishing in Charlotte Harbor, and the captain I was with used Purina Tropical Fish Food Starter on some grass flats, and 20 minutes later, had a blacked out baitwell. Would love to find this stuff in Naples/Bonita Springs.
a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg

Replies

• SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Try calling "Feed Stores". They sell feed and supplies for livestock. It's a Purina product and many will carry it. If not they can order it. If you are around Sarasota, Cattleman's Feed Supply always has it in stock. It comes in a 50# bags. They are close to I-75 and Bee Ridge. Some tackle stores are now carrying it in smaller bags.
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,857 Captain
    http://www.futralsfeedstore.com/home.html
    Located on Palm Beach Blvd in Fort Myers
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    Cape tool and tackle will sell you a 50lb bag for I think 30 bucks. It last a year too! I just used my last batch and will be buying some today actually. SO thanks for the thread cause I would have forgot. Need to get some cat food too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Something you need to know about Purina bait chum. Bugs love this stuff, so you can't leave it in the bag or open to the enviroment in any way. If you don't have roaches or rats, just leave this stuff lying around for a few days and you'll have pleanty of both. I tried to store it in zip-locks one time, big mistake. There is some type of bug that comes in the bags from the plant and they ate their way through 20 zip-lock bags full of chum. I discovered that 50# will fit into two 5 gal. buckets. The buckets have to have a lid with a gasket. Just thought you ought to know.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Pine Island Feed. Also a feed store on Bayshore in Downtown Fort Myers has it.
  • swaptrexswaptrex Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Did the captain mix it with oil, or just dry?
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    swaptrex wrote: »

I'm no capt.. but I like to mix in menhaden oil. Don't have too but I do.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • LGILGI Posts: 348 Officer
    swaptrex wrote: »

I think it works fine if you just mix in some saltwater.

I also keep mine in the 5 gallon bucket with the gasket and it works great. The only other way to keep it for a long time is to put it in the freezer.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,750 Captain
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »
    Something you need to know about Purina bait chum. Bugs love this stuff, so you can't leave it in the bag or open to the enviroment in any way. If you don't have roaches or rats, just leave this stuff lying around for a few days and you'll have pleanty of both. I tried to store it in zip-locks one time, big mistake. There is some type of bug that comes in the bags from the plant and they ate their way through 20 zip-lock bags full of chum. I discovered that 50# will fit into two 5 gal. buckets. The buckets have to have a lid with a gasket. Just thought you ought to know.

stored product pests.
  • snappinbacksnappinback Posts: 146 Officer
    SCFD rtrd. wrote: »

I had rats eat threw my 5 gal buckets to get to this stuff !!! I had to buy a metal garbage can and put the buckets in it for safe keeping ! This stuff will attract bugs for sure ,Roaches ,Rats etc. Metal can was the final straw for me ... its some bas **** stuff for rat food and works good as fish chum with mehaden oil or just add some water and make small dough balls .