Stolen Motors

Hey all, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but my motors were stolen off my boat last night from the Public Storage in Kendall on 84th. Two reasons for posting this 1) obviously to be on the lookout for them which were 2006 Yamaha 150's and 2) the detective said that the Public Storage had been hit multiple times... don't store your boat there! Mine was there 1-week. They cut the fence from the apartment complex adjacent to the storage yard and them removed my motors and carried them about 50 yards to their van. Anyway, if you hear of someone selling a Left and Right Yam 150 cheap (i.e. they were stolen) private message me, would love to catch these bastards and hopefully get my engines back. Guess my fishing is done for a while with only one dolphin in the box from Saturday.. :mad:mad:mad

Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Must have been strong like apes.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,530 Captain
    Sorry to hear that to many scum bags out there.
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    probably at the local mechanic/chop shop.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,104 Officer
    Hot area for boats.... Mine was recovered not far from there
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,764 Captain
    Pembroke Pines storage yards have been
    getting hit hard too. Have 3 friends in
    sw ranches that have had there lower
    units stolen right in there yards.
  • BROWNDOGBROWNDOG Posts: 144 Officer
    Sorry about your loss,but this is what happens when you live in a third world country.If you have something nice the animals think they have a right to it.
  • reyreyreyrey Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Hot area for boats.... Mine was recovered not far from there

Same here... Mine was found at a vacant lot near 97 Ave and Sunset. Something tells me there is a nearby chop shop paying these scums top dollars. They caught the guys that took mine last month and by the arrest pictures they don’t strike me as individuals that can operate a vessel, let alone neatly strip it down to the bare hull.
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 180 Deckhand
    I know this thread is a bit old

Sorry to hear about your loss I feel you
    My boat motor and trailer was taken and then recovered
    In Hialeah minus engine and poling platform

It just pisses me off all $$ the marine industry makes
    You'd think they would come up with something to make it harder
    For thiefs
    Because locks fences chains cameras ect do not scare or bother
    The bad guys one bit
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,288 Captain
    One of the problems with outboard thefts is that they're never part of any registration process. Any officer that stops a rig needs to actually check the motors separately (if they even know how). Your boat registration only covers the hull, the trailer tag only covers the trailer, etc. Another problem is that there's a ready market offshore for any larger outboards in good condition (particularly Yammies...). Not hard to load them in an outbound container to get them out of the country.... Wish it weren't so (and don't know whether they teach young cops to check the serial numbers on outboards these days.

For some years I've been publicly advocating a dedicated boat theft unit funded by the state.... we can certainly justify it (and when the heat is on locally you can bet that our local bad actors are hitting to the west and up north for a few months, then when it's quiet things start up again down here).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,104 Officer
    Bob well said! I will actively help speak out and spread any type of word! I wish the Florida Sportsman Forum Moderators could help with this! It would be an amazing task at hand, but great for all of florida and its residents!
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Better laws on the books and enforcement are great
    1 problem is its the good guys paying the price for what the bad guy did

I'm sure there's some smart person out there that could make it harder for thiefs to remove an engine from a boat
    Because like mine and many others they get stolen and dumped
    Minus the engine

Once I get my boat back I am locking the wheels with the
    Boots the parking cops use and having the tongue of the trailer
    Modded to be removeable
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    I wish the Florida Sportsman Forum Moderators could help with this!

Although we help out around here and once in a blue moon I work some magic around here, that is about the extent of my powers. FWC commissioners should be more focused on these types of issues than behavioral modification of anglers in the Boca Grande Pass.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,288 Captain
    As much as I disagree with some of what the FWC has been up to lately, they're not responsible for crimimal property stuff. Local juridictions focus on crimes against persons, always -so property crimes aren't their highest priority. Since south Florida boat and motor thieves are pretty mobile (proof of that is an occasional one getting caught a long way from Miami...) I believe it's a State issue. FDLE is the outfit I'd choose to run that kind of thing with officers seconded from big cities and the FWC alike.

One other item to remember about boat theft in Florida.... there's always been a very high amount of insurance fraud in that area. Some years ago an enterprising marine patrol investigator (remember the marine patrol? they were the forerunners of the FWC...) did a thorough review of motors reported stolen and found that over 30% were never entered with the true identification numbers at all.... Outfits responsible back then were small manufacturers that would falsely report motors stolen that were actually sold to unsuspecting buyers... because the I.D. numbers reported were false those motors were never recovered at all... and the buyers were none the wiser.... I'd be very surprised if things have changed much in that area since that's how some people behave if they have the opportunity.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Pucker FactorPucker Factor Posts: 875 Officer
    Thanks Bob.