North Key Largo May 24-25 2013

Headed south late Friday afternoon to set up in North Key Largo to fish the bottom. It was the full moon and I figured we would do well. We would be staying overnight on the boat.

Got to our first spot in about 100' and there was no current. None. Chum was not even coming out of the bag! Moved a few times south and no current. Very frustrating. Finally made it to the Elbow at about midnight and decided we would stay there regardless. Put out the last live gog I had and it got hit by a large mutton. Went to sleep in about 5' of water and after waking up headed north near the whistle buoy. Was able to net about 15-20 huge ballyhoo in 65' and sent them right down, but caught nothing. Drifted, moved and nothing. When the weather turned bad at around noon on Saturday we came in. Caught one small mutton and this one. Saw a part of a floating Cuban raft in 80 feet or so and thought there could be something underneath but we were wrong. It was too fresh.

Replies

• danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    Ive been hit with that "no current" thing a couple times the past couple months...not fun. way to grind it out and get some fillets
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Nice Mutton Rafael!!! I wanted to do the same thing friday night...but it didn't work out!
  • dolfanjoeydolfanjoey Posts: 1,173 Officer
    nice mutton
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    how do you know it's a "Cuban" raft? I don't see a flag or empty can of black beans.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Wow, long day/night but its more fish than I caught this weekend working a trade show at Disney, puke
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,117 Officer
    Nice fish Ralph, I didn't know you made it that far south, a few friends tried Saturday , one of my customers got 4 nice fish but the bite was off. Except one guy went further south and got around a dozen big ones, Right before The Weather got nasty. But they Will turn On soon tight lines
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Sweet, fat muttons.
  • ElPatoLocoBPSElPatoLocoBPS Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    Went out Friday night out of Govt.Cut, same deal. Beautiful night out but no current. Probaly because the full moon was at its peak. Only managed 2 18" muttons. Had a friend go out of key largo Friday morning with a commercial guy and tore it up. They were fishing 150'. But they told me the bite shut off Friday night. Thanks for the report.
  • BibijawaBibijawa Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    I fished north key largo friday morning and there was no current at all. We did catch some muttons but the only bait they hit was live pinfish.
    They ignored the ballyhoo and fresh mackarel chunks. The pinfish wouldn't last long on the bottom before getting hit.
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,665 Captain
    Bibijawa wrote: »
    I fished north key largo friday morning and there was no current at all. We did catch some muttons but the only bait they hit was live pinfish.
    They ignored the ballyhoo and fresh mackarel chunks. The pinfish wouldn't last long on the bottom before getting hit.

thanks for the report. your username is similar to a small market in punta cana????

• elpescador71elpescador71 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    its crazy how unpredictable the ocean can be..me and my brother in law were fishing offshore in front of ocean reef Friday morning and afternoon and the current was RIPPING!it slowed down a little in the afternoon so we were able to catch a few nice yellowtails.but over all in depths of 120 ft all the way in to 60 ft we were using 4 oz of weight at least to hold bottom and could barely feel the yellowtail bite when flatlining.to top it off we found some schoolies around 400 ft and they swam up to our boat as we tossed cut bait live bait and a pink bucktail jig to no avail.they would not eat anything and left as abruptly as they arrived.rough day!my brother in law did manage one 4 lb mangrove so the day wasn't a total loss but definitely slim pickings out there Friday.