Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Memorial Day madness?

Anyone dare attempt to battle the madness on the water today? I thought about taking some lawn chairs and sitting my butt on the side of the Fort Island ramp for some good ol' fashioned entertainment. Or perhaps someone got pics of the pink snappers they caught?? :fishing :grin

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc Senior Member Sea Plane CityPosts: 5,474 Admiral
    The Steinhatchee ramp was quite when we loaded the boat about 7:30 this morning, but, there was a pretty good fight there when we launched Friday night. We also saw a big cat sail bote ram two pontoon boats at Sea **** Saturday evening. He had some kind of mechanical problem, and couldn't put the boat in neutral. That almost caused a fight.
  • shuterkngshuterkng Senior Member crystal river /delray bchPosts: 870 Officer
    i was out and there were loads of boats every where, even the salt river had lots of traffic..... when i went by ft island ramp the boats were back out to the river..

at least its a big ocean , no one around where i fished .
  • LiquidAsset337LiquidAsset337 Senior Member Posts: 227 Officer
    shuterkng wrote: »
    when i went by ft island ramp the boats were back out to the river

Exactly why I didn't go!
  • C F MikeC F Mike Senior Member LeesburgPosts: 140 Deckhand
    We took off on Friday and went out to avoid the madness
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    We headed south to Johns Pass and fished from shore Saturday. I also put in at Bay Pines Sunday and it was a mad house but the ramp was great and there was tons of parking. The fishing sucked though.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,386 Officer
    Watched the web-cam at the landing by McReae's for awhile this morning. That's about as close as I want to get to the circus. After that I drove down to the National Cemetary at Bushnell to remember some old friends. I'll fish mid-week as usual.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Kids Ate My BaitKids Ate My Bait Senior Member Big Bend, FLPosts: 1,038 Officer
    Braved it Friday (not too bad at FIT) and today (Monday) - circus for sure.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

e0855416-db02-4210-a35f-fb932b7f1510_zpsizxn0kmf.jpg
  • troutman57troutman57 Senior Member Homosassa FloridaPosts: 3,691 Captain
    Watched the web-cam at the landing by McReae's for awhile this morning. That's about as close as I want to get to the circus. After that I drove down to the National Cemetary at Bushnell to remember some old friends. I'll fish mid-week as usual.

Nice Pete.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • redeye76redeye76 Senior Member Hernando--Citrus CountyPosts: 510 Officer
    I did the same. Did you go in your truck? I think I saw it but was not sure.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Ah the joys of a small boat. I fished the Santa Fe river, out of Hollingsworth bluff on Saturday, and the river was crowded all the way to the intersection of the Itchnatucknee and then it was wall to wall boats with not even room to get in to the Itch. Sooo, on Sunday my lady friend and I headed up to the St Mary's river, about five miles down river from where hwy 121 crosses the river, and we caught a bunch of big bluegills and redbellies and saw THREE BOATS ALL DAY..... Then on Monday I wanted to stay away from the crowds so I hit the Santa Fe above the river sink. I followed bible camp road to the boat ramp at the end and we had to drag the boat off the trailer but we again tore up the large bluegills and redbellies and saw FOUR BOATS ALL DAY.... There's a lot to be said for small boats that can get off the beaten path. I forgot to mention I fished the Withlacoochee up from Russeau on Friday and caught a bunch of big bluegills there too. Since I fished four days in a row I thought I might fill the boat with gas, it took 2.6 gallons.... Man that thing needs a tune up.:rotflmao
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • troutman57troutman57 Senior Member Homosassa FloridaPosts: 3,691 Captain
    Saw 1 boat all day offshore:grin
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,386 Officer
    Redeye76, Yep... brown silverado with a black cap.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • APEAPE Senior Member Gilchrist CountyPosts: 973 Officer
    I launched late Friday at Suwannee and we were the only ones launching and we pulled out late Saturday and again we were the only ones at the ramp, we didn't go Sunday and we went to Crescent Beach on Monday.
  • HighPlainsDrifterHighPlainsDrifter Senior Member Homosassa, FlPosts: 270 Officer
    We were out in 35ft yesterday and saw a few boats, but they all went in when it got ruff. It layed down nice in the afternoon and we went out to 50ft and didnt see anybody around. When we came in around 5pm, we ran over 20 miles before we saw a boat.
    "I live in a free country. I've got all the licenses, registrations, and permits to prove it!" :huh
  • redeye76redeye76 Senior Member Hernando--Citrus CountyPosts: 510 Officer
    Thought so. I have seen that truck at Barge Canal ramp. 'Nam ribbon in back. Mine is a red Dodge ram Quad cab with off red cap and 'Nam ribbon on back window of cap.
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    Ah the joys of a small boat. I fished the Santa Fe river, out of Hollingsworth bluff on Saturday, and the river was crowded all the way to the intersection of the Itchnatucknee and then it was wall to wall boats with not even room to get in to the Itch. Sooo, on Sunday my lady friend and I headed up to the St Mary's river, about five miles down river from where hwy 121 crosses the river, and we caught a bunch of big bluegills and redbellies and saw THREE BOATS ALL DAY..... Then on Monday I wanted to stay away from the crowds so I hit the Santa Fe above the river sink. I followed bible camp road to the boat ramp at the end and we had to drag the boat off the trailer but we again tore up the large bluegills and redbellies and saw FOUR BOATS ALL DAY.... There's a lot to be said for small boats that can get off the beaten path. I forgot to mention I fished the Withlacoochee up from Russeau on Friday and caught a bunch of big bluegills there too. Since I fished four days in a row I thought I might fill the boat with gas, it took 2.6 gallons.... Man that thing needs a tune up.:rotflmao

How far is the run from Hollingsworth to Ichetucknee? Aren't there some rocky shoals down that way? I always go up river towards Ginnie when I fish there. I share your love of small boats, I typically try to fish areas that are tough for anyone other than kayakers to get to and I like it that way. The recent rains have brought the Santa Fe up quite a bit and with the higher water comes heavier boat traffic unfortunately.
  • VertigoVertigo Senior Member Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    I avoided the mob at the Yanketown ramp this weekend by launching before dawn. Returning at noon, there were the usual crowds and poorly parked trailers that stretched for a mile up the road, but the ramp was mostly free of boats. Free of boats, but not the fishermen and gawkers who mobbed the ramp and adjacent docks three deep. Why do these people have to fish from the ramp when there are plenty of other spots just as good? Why do they have to drop chicken parts on string, bait buckets, and various other crap off the dock where I need to tie up? Why do they park in the no parking zone right next to the ramp? OK, they're tax payers just like me (at least some are, many are still learning English) so I'll cut them some slack and be polite.

Today (Tuesday) is a different story. The ramp was free of crowds, just the typical commercial fishermen, hard core types and me. The problem today was garbage. The folks that fish from the ramp are not only a pain in the butt, but they are swine. Why do they feel that it's OK to leave unused bait, chicken parts in the wrapper, cans, bottles, McDonalds boxes and wrappers, and just general trash of all kinds all over the dock and beach adjacent to the dock? Who do I have to bribe to get signs and enforcement prohibiting dock fishing at the Yankeetown ramp. An ordnance prohibiting fishing beyond the no parking sigh could be easily justified on the basis of safety alone.
  • PONCEPONCE Senior Member Big Bend FlaPosts: 5,946 Admiral
    Nope not on the holidays.