Oh, no! My 12-weight is all BENDY!

sunflowersunflower Posts: 445 Deckhand

Oh, No! My rod is all bendy, and stuff!
Does that fly look tired!
Well you'd be tired too ... if you caught two tarpon!

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• sunflowersunflower Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Technically ... jumped. Not caught or landed.
    Mark

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    That doesn't look like the tiny butt BVK you previously showed us. Did you ever get the new one?
  • Upton O. GoodUpton O. Good Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Well, technically, well done. That's my favorite way to fight really big fish, a few jumps or runs then say "goodbye". Keeps it fun and not work.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 658 Officer
    For me, just getting the bite is a success. Rather jump a nice Tarpon, than catch 10 little trout any day.

:thumbsup
  • JWTJWT Posts: 436 Deckhand
    The first 10 minutes is the most fun. After that, the work begins! I have downsized my shock to 50# or even 40# to get more bites. i definitely hook more fish & am able to get back in the game quicker if they trash the leader & swim away after a short encounter. put 6 in the air on Saturday before the weather moved in.

nice work! especially the solo photo effort!

That is EXACTLY the tiny-butt Mangrove TFO I mentioned. They promised to replace it come May, but it turns out the next shipment of 12 weight Mangroves came in with small butts as well. I guess they got to increase the squats in the factory in Korea. Now they are saying wait until the end of July (tarpon season will be over).

Sure, the bite and initial jumps are the most fun. But I am lucky to hook one tarpon on the fly in 2 months ... I am perfectly willing to enjoy every minute of an hour-long dogfight (and yes I know it is bad for the tarpon). I use a leader of 60-to-30-pound monofilament-to-a-60 pound flourocarbon. They will gnaw through it.

If you liked the solo photo, check the movie!

http://youtu.be/dETT0AzViVI

Mark

6 in one day! My two yesterday doubled my lifetime catch!

Mark

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Congrats sounds like a great day. Where you fishing?
    I was fishing off the beach in Venice.
    Mark

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    In that picture you were not putting any pressure on that fish with that rod. I've gone horizontal with mine and put the fish on the handle of the rod. it took 20 minutes for a 120# fish. another method would put it on the reel, using the drag to fight the fish. Next time go down and dirty and see what happens ;) love the rollers!