Recommended Patterns for Central FL Trout

redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
I am hoping someone might be able to suggest a few successful flies for trout here in Central FL? I have had very some very limited success with red/yellow deceiver type patterns and a gummy minnow. I am brand new fly fisher with limited experience and knowledge, but trying to learn were ever I can. :)

I am mostly casting to fish that are after mullet in three feet of stained water. (I have thrown probably 4 different types of mullet patterns at them with no luck yet)

Thank for your time.

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    I have been having more success lately with deer hair sliders. All white, pink and white and white with an olive back. What's nice about flies is that they suspend about two inches or so under the surface. I tied the tails first with some slender and flexible white hackles then the deer hair. The hackles give a nice action with little movement and the thick heads push water. !/0 hooks.

The middle one has taken a beating by trout and about to be retired. Hope this helps some.
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Thanks Saltybum! Really nice flies,....

Any idea where I might be able to get a few like that?
  • Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 88 Deckhand
    I've found that bend back reddish Brown. (Tied myself) works well in grass flats near tarpon key off off of Ft Desoto
  • BeautyedfliesBeautyedflies Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    I tye all of these patterns and they are available at Orlando Outfitters or PM me? I tye The bottom pattern with Gamakatsu SP11-3l3h. The hook up rate for this fly is incredible due to the hook shape and gap.
  • hooknsnookhooknsnook Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    the tried and true red/yellow seaducer ez to tie they suspend and they cast with ease even on a 6 wt..
    also get your self some gurglers fish them before the sun is up high near those mullet..
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Thank you Cameraguy, Beau and Hooknsnook!

Will do,.....
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    All good suggestions mentioned.....how about a chartreuse/white Clouser.....foam head poppers and sliders.....some EP patterns.....and I love an olive Sea Ducer.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    Shadowcast wrote: »
    All good suggestions mentioned.....how about a chartreuse/white Clouser.....foam head poppers and sliders.....some EP patterns.....and I love an olive Sea Ducer.

Trout are pretty opportunistic, even the big girls are far more concerned with your approach and your presentation than what you happen to be throwing. If you live in my neck of the woods, it's been tough to get used to fishing wide open sand flats after decades of fishing lush grass flats.