Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Brutal at the Bridge, but a Bahia Honda Slam

After a late night trip yesterday, we thought the best way to catch the midday outgoing tide while the winds allowed was to run up to Bahia Honda again. David and I bucked the east wind to reach the protection of the bridge, but found little relief from the wind and waves when we got there. The wind direction quartered the current, augmenting the waves and making it hard to keep baits where they needed to be. Weeds were also a bigger problem than last week.

We had several hits and drag pulls before the first hookup, but that ended up being a nice 75# tarpon. A few minutes later another hit but no hookup, then a bait down deep was taken. The fish ran long but stayed deep, and when we caught up with it we were pleasantly surprised that it was a 40# permit. We've caught a few permit here from time to time, but none this size.
Hopefully the GoPro video turns out well...here's a screen shot:

Several other crabs were taken deep without hookups, and we assumed there were more permit around the pilings. David feathered his bait down around the piling, and felt the take. Again the fish stayed deep, but this time didn't run far. After we drifted into the clear, some pump-and-winds brought the fish to the surface. No permit this time: David's fish was a really nice snook!

As the conditions deteriorated we made the rough trip back to Cudjoe, feeling we had made the best of what we had to work with in catching what David now calls a "Bahia Honda Slam."

A brief thunderstorm passed through in late afternoon, and gave us a very short window of calm as it left. One last quick trip to a nearby basin provided David with another tarpon, 1/4 the size of the big fish he caught last night. Under better conditions we finally got some decent photos...we'e mostly been videoing.

Within minutes the winds kicked up again and drove us off the water, and barring some unexpected blessings it doesn't look as though they'll stop this week.

Replies

• latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Really nice report, you guys made the best of it. Sweet pics, I am sure the video will be cool. Love permit in the water pic! Yeah, looks like this blow will just not be letting up until the end of the week, ugh!
  • CaptBillCaptBill Posts: 271 Officer
    Congratulations on the slam. Superb photos.
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    I believe that is the first photo of a locally caught Snook I have ever seen posted on this forum. Congrats!
    Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Another busy day for you Bert. Well done.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    I believe that is the first photo of a locally caught Snook I have ever seen posted on this forum. Congrats!

Our other son, Hunter, caught a slightly smaller one from the same spot three or four years ago...on occasion I'll see them on the Bahia Honda webcam.
    Years ago I saw a large group of snook hiding next to structure along Sugarloaf Creek.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    good job i love that place
  • Reel4ReelReel4Reel Posts: 439 Deckhand
  • MacMaconMacMacon Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Nice report and pictures! I wouldn't be too worried about the wind, most boats out there yesterday were fine. Perhaps you need to take a look at your crew and make sure they are not spineless googans!
    MacMacon wrote: »
    Nice report and pictures! I wouldn't be too worried about the wind, most boats out there yesterday were fine. Perhaps you need to take a look at your crew and make sure they are not spineless googans!
    We were back there yesterday and this morning...had a good bite and leadered multiple fish both times; this morning's conditions were really pretty good. And, yes, our crewmembers are spineless googans!
    --Bert, Head Googan
  • storecreditstorecredit Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the information! You guys are on the bite.

I'll be down there in a few weeks. We're you fishing the US1 or old bridge.

Also- any tips for other spots in the area?
    Thanks for the information! You guys are on the bite.

I'll be down there in a few weeks. We're you fishing the US1 or old bridge.

Also- any tips for other spots in the area?

When you get there it will be obvious... respectfully follow and observe the crowd. Most boats fish the new bridge with the complex piling system which creates eddies and backwashes where the tarpon rest and ambush bait. There is tremendous current there, and the trick is to work the water column and keep your baits in the edge of the current. Play with and change float depths and weights to match the conditions.
    On a south or southeast wind with an outgoing tide it can be rough at BH, but by the time you get here things will have settled down alot.
    We have fun, but there are many much more skilled than we are. Read the old forum posts...look up posts from last year the same time you're coming this year and see what was going on.
    The longer I come down here, the more I understand it's not about spots..it's about adapting to the conditions: current, water temp/season, moon phase, depth, type of bottom...it's also alot about accepting what's happening and how your/my abilities and equipment fit into it. If the "spot" I like to try to catch bonefish isn't producing, maybe it's time to chum up some lemon sharks. If the wind won't let me pole across a flat, I'll be content to soak bait in a channel. I know it sounds tame, but last week my wife and son and I enjoyed a ladyfish tournament in the backcountry..kept a few of the nasty things for bait, too. Made her happier than sitting in the hot sun waiting for the bonefish to not show up.
  • storecreditstorecredit Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the information.. Is there a sandbar down that way that people beach their boats? We've been going to Islamorada for years and excited to switch it up in Big Pine.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Thanks for the information.. Is there a sandbar down that way that people beach their boats? We've been going to Islamorada for years and excited to switch it up in Big Pine.

No, thank god! Keeps the idiots further north. I heard from a FWC buddy that this years MDW at sandbar near tiki nar had the most recorded foot lacerations ever. All the drunk idiots littering the sand bar have caused major injuries to some. He mentioned over 50 foot injuries and stitches from broken bottles.

Anyways, i love me some overgrown threadfin herring!

What was the bait of choice on the permit and snook?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    No, thank god! Keeps the idiots further north. I heard from a FWC buddy that this years MDW at sandbar near tiki nar had the most recorded foot lacerations ever. All the drunk idiots littering the sand bar have caused major injuries to some. He mentioned over 50 foot injuries and stitches from broken bottles.

Anyways, i love me some overgrown threadfin herring!

What was the bait of choice on the permit and snook?

Lowe-boy...X2 on the sandbar thoughts...the jet ski jockeys are bad enough... the permit and snook interrupted our tarpon fishing with crabs.
  • pergatronpergatron Posts: 251 Deckhand
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 1,745 Officer
    Great reply on the sandbar men. Is getting drunk on a bar and operating a boat part of this new cult? Your in the keys for goodness sake.......try fishing and do your drinking at home.