Completely new to bass fising

Tried out bass fishing for the first time today... I texas rigged a red zoom worm and after about 20 min of slowely moving it along the bottom i got a strike, tried to set the hook but missed, and when i brought the bait back up its tail was gone... Im fishing in a very small resedential pond, could this have been a bass, bec ik bass dont have teeth.

Sorry if dumb question

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,059 Moderator
    Could have been a bass or possibly a bluegill ? Bluegill will grab the tail and run causing you to think a bass had it.
    Keep doing what your doing and if there are any bass in there you'll catch one.
    Good luck.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ScullerSculler Posts: 115 Officer
    there are bass in there since when i first came in i saw some basking in the sun right by the bank, followed my lure for a while but turned away right before striking :/
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Speed up your presentation. Learn to "walk the dog" with you fluke. Early morning, high noon, and evening are best times.

Buona Fortuna.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    this "The Fluke" ain't no fluke
    Speed up your presentation. Learn to "walk the dog" with you fluke. Early morning, high noon, and evening are best times.

Buona Fortuna.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • red owlred owl Posts: 671 Officer
    If you are completely new I might consider using live bait (minnows) and fish around sundown in likely places. The live bait will usually let you start catching a lot of bass so you can learn where they live and how to play and land them. I'd opt for about a 4"-5" minnow to keep bream away and a #2 hook, probably a flurocarbon leader of about 8- 10 lb test. Possibly a small 1" float. On a float I'd hook on top, if you are near floating weeds forget the float and hook in the tail and try to get it to swim under the weeds.
    On artificals, plastic worms are tops, black is good, a "shad" with a red top and blue or purple bottom is good. A "swimming" worm works good as well. I think a scent spray on a plastic worm greatly improves it.
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    Most likely with that story a bluegill grabbed the bait's tail. Pretty common with worm fishing in small ponds. There is no real way to avoid it, but the longer you worm fish the more you will learn when it is a bluegill strike and when it is a bass strike. Bluegill will generally grab the bait and run like the wind. Bass will usually grab it, you will see a slow pull away or even just a slight twitch. Generally the faster the line goes out, the smaller the fish. Big fish just grab the bait and hunker down because they don't have to worry about another fish stealing the worm.

I think the easiest worm to learn to fish is the 4" zoom finesse worm in any dark color but I prefer watermelon with red flake. Cast it to weeds of just off the bank and let it float to the bottom without weight. If no hit after 2-3 seconds, give it a few quick twitches and let it fall again. I do this 3 times and then twitch it back slowly. Rinse, repeat.

Another easy way to learn fishing is a small spinnerbait or rapala. If your pond isn't too weedy, try a 3" rapala in gold/black. You can reel it in, twitch it, or crawl it across the top. The strikes are easy to see and with the trebels the hook sets are easy.
  • Swamp ZombieSwamp Zombie Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    ER Doc 7 wrote: »
    Most likely with that story a bluegill grabbed the bait's tail. Pretty common with worm fishing in small ponds. There is no real way to avoid it, but the longer you worm fish the more you will learn when it is a bluegill strike and when it is a bass strike. Bluegill will generally grab the bait and run like the wind. Bass will usually grab it, you will see a slow pull away or even just a slight twitch. Generally the faster the line goes out, the smaller the fish. Big fish just grab the bait and hunker down because they don't have to worry about another fish stealing the worm.

I think the easiest worm to learn to fish is the 4" zoom finesse worm in any dark color but I prefer watermelon with red flake. Cast it to weeds of just off the bank and let it float to the bottom without weight. If no hit after 2-3 seconds, give it a few quick twitches and let it fall again. I do this 3 times and then twitch it back slowly. Rinse, repeat.

Another easy way to learn fishing is a small spinnerbait or rapala. If your pond isn't too weedy, try a 3" rapala in gold/black. You can reel it in, twitch it, or crawl it across the top. The strikes are easy to see and with the trebels the hook sets are easy.

This is good info for a first time Bass fisherman- pay attention. Along with the fluke, I'd also suggest a Berkley Worm- (Black/Grape, Tequila, and Black/Blue). Berkley worms are excellent pond baits. (Berkley products have a baked in scent which causes the fish to hold onto, (and eventually EAT) the worm- this comes in handy with possible short striking Bass.)

Otherwise- ER Doc's suggestions are spot on.

Small spinnerbait's- 1/8-1/4 OZ can be deadly on pond fish. (I like gold blades for most situations)
  • kodiakzachkodiakzach Posts: 6,079 Admiral
    Here is a good list of items (refer to the baits and hooks section). Those hooks and 3 different worms will catch you bass in pretty much any body of water you fish (assuming there are bass present):

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?74159-Complete-list-of-items-needed-to-get-started-freshwater-fishing-amp-CATCHING
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Took my daughter and her friend who had never fished before, ever. I started her out with a fluke and after working some bassy looking shoreline with no takers. I knew fish were there so I switched her up to a curly tail lizard texas rigged with a weighted hook and told her to let it drop to the bottom then slowly reel it in. It wasnt long before she started missing strikes and not long after that she was hooking up. First fish in the boat about a 1.5. Soon after that a nice 3. Soon after that, rain. We had to call it aday.

Moral of the story: If what yer doing isnt working, try sumthing different.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • brywright6296brywright6296 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I tournament bass fish and fish on a daily basis on Okeechobee. Bream can do that but he'd be pulling it hard to rip it offost likely a far got a hold of it and possibly a mud fish try letting it sink and reel up slack and slowly bring the rip tip up from 4oclock position to 1-2 o'clock counting to 15-30 depends and then slowly drop rod tip while reeling slack up should kill bass like this also Mann's baby 1 works good in ponds if you need any advice pm me i have several sponsors and may be able to send you some baits that are killer good for free.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,064 Captain
    Bass will bite off the tails too and run with just a tail in its mouth, during the summer sometimes when fishing ponds ill cast a watermelon red speed uvibe worm out deep and just let it sit and all of a sudden youll see your line screaming away and all you gotta do is set the hook