Best bait and artificials

bebopbebop Posts: 50 Deckhand
What do you think would be the best artificials for the Destin area. If you wanted to have a good all around variety for most species you could encounter which would you bring?? It's impossible to bring every color of every lure on the yak, so just trying to see what most people use as their "go to" lures.

Also, what do you think is the best live bait to bring?? Shrimp is common at the bait store, but it just depends on what their supplier brings them as far as fish are concerned. Do some fish work better than others?? Just curious to see what works best for everybody.

Replies

• DukesFinDukesFin Posts: 581 Officer
    First question:

Inshore or Offshore? Since you mention shrimp, I'm guessing inshore...
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Inshore- Gold Spoon, Chartreuse &/or White Bucktail, DOA Shrimp...
    Offshore- Squid pieces on small hooks to catch bait & then drop 'em back down on big hooks...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • bebopbebop Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Offshore mainly, but can hit the bay if it's to rough. Just seems shrimp are more common for the store to sell consistently.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Inshore
    -3" Gulp shrimp in New penny on a 1/8 or 1/4 red jighead

-Red/white "flair hawk" bucktail jig.

-Mirrolure Mirrodine, Black back w/ silver belly.

Offshore:

-3.5 oz vertical jig (williamson, shimano, VICTORY LURES) in various colors. I like the natural ones, the pinks and greens also.
    -Rapala X-rap magnum 15 in silver mullet
    -Red head/silver body Gotcha plug for a pitch bait.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • bebopbebop Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info, I should be pretty well set. Don't have an X-Rap. Might have to give that a try