Mini Offshore Tournaments??

Fresh off my horrible luck in the EKFT May Madness im dying to get the competitive juices flowing again. Seeing there is another offshore Extreme tournament in Sept, I say we plan some mini offshore Tournaments maybe once a month or so out of Pompano or Dania. Following the Same rules as the EKFT get as many anglers as we can to put in $30-$50 depending on what everyone agrees on and the most weight takes all. Would be a fun competitive event and great practice for the September Slam! Let me know if anyone is interested

Doug
A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    I'd be down for cheap, informal side-betting on a day at Dania: everybody drop in a $20, nobody breaks the bank or goes overboard with the prep. At the very least you could have the chance to win back the cost of bait and have enough for a few beers on top of that.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • redrocket1986redrocket1986 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    I'm in when I can make a weekend trip. Keep this thread goin, lets get it
    Hobie Outback ~TheRedRocket~
  • SaltH2OSportsmanSaltH2OSportsman Posts: 148 Officer
    Yes, lets do that. But if you do it 2 times a month you would get more people to enter.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    I'd be down but only if AJ's didn't count. Bad enough that twice a year we catch those things and let them rot in the sun but doing it during these mini tournaments wouldn't be cool. Would have to be edible fish only, and if no one actually took the money home it'd have to be kept for the next one I guess?
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    I dont think AJs should count either. Id say dolphin all tuna wahoo king grouper mutton snapper cobia macs and any other quality fish ppl want to add (Cumalitive 5 fish weight). Manly for fun but with some $$ on the line. It would be awesome to get 15 ppl or so to do it a month at 30$ a piece thats 450$ at 50$ thats 750$. Everyone pay the morning of and the winner collects the cash. It would make the every weekend trip alot more exiting

2 times a month might be a bit much with ppls schedule. if we can get a decent amount of ppl id like to try and do the first one the weekend of June 8-9 either Sat or Sunday
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • Mr19-6Mr19-6 Posts: 166 Deckhand
    not really on topic.

I would use a Mac or kingfish as cut bait to catch and eat an AJ.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    I'm game but it has to on a sat.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    My dreams are coming true! I agree on the no AJs though.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    You know what would be really fun? Call me crazy....

I'd pay $20 for an artificals only mini-tourney. Vertical jigging, trolling x-raps (or other plugs) tossing lures, spoons, etc. In my opinion live bait is $$$ as well all know, and if I'm going to throw $20 why not even the playing field for those who can't or don;t want to spend $ on bait?

Not saying we do this every time, but easily once in awhile.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • keysf1shfinderkeysf1shfinder Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    I like the idea
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    You might as well just pay me before we go fishing. :cool: Easy money. Lets do it. We definitely need live bait tho.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    I'd be down for an artificial tourney. Yes, it is true that in a regular tournament live bait has the advantage. Part of the tournament fee could cover 3 live baits for each competitor? I'm sure a bait shop would be happy to transport baits to the site and sell their baits all at once.
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Eh, I'd want at least frozen bait. I'd be ok with no live bait once in a while. But when I'm sitting there drifting while jigging I'd like to have some frozen squid out at least.
  • Gauz ManGauz Man Posts: 45 Deckhand
    This sounds like an awesome idea, and i agree with giving the AJs a break. The artificials only idea sounds like it could be interesting too.
    Ocean Kayak Pro Staff - Member of Team Ocean Kayak Florida
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Eh, I'd want at least frozen bait. I'd be ok with no live bait once in a while. But when I'm sitting there drifting while jigging I'd like to have some frozen squid out at least.

1) AJs shouldn't count. Not to say that they're "easy" to catch because they're not easy to land....easy to hook though :rotflmao
    2) I'm cool with the frozen bait, but the 100% artificial day would be cool. I usually troll out naked ballys and drift a naked bally while jigging anyway.

Put it like this, if I don't plan on fishing livies then I'm not going to throw down $20 if others are. Simple as that, not trying to be brash but my chances of winning are drastically reduced with arti/frozen vs live
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    Might as well make it a Bonita/Black Fin only tournament then. Yes, I know you can catch kings/wahoo and other species on artificial, BUT nothing beats live bait for kings,wahoo,mahi while kayak fishing.
    Nah its hard enough to catch fish on live bait in a yak and i want ot see some bit kings and/or wahoo brought in so you can use whatever you want lol. esp bc we cant get going fast enough to make troll most lures effectively. I say we structure it just like the Extreme tourny, if you want to buy gogs do it if not dont. Sat June 8th is a great date to try the first one out. Id say we make it 30$ for the first one so more ppl can afford it. if we get 15-20 ppl thats 450$-600$ which would be awesome to win
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    loser buys the beer
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    loser buys the beer

:Agree
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 849 Officer
    I'm looking to join the offshore fray, this would be a great way to do it. It will give me an opportunity to watch the Pro's in action and learn. I'm in.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    Down
    actually how about the week after that? please?
  • reelboss185reelboss185 Posts: 188 Officer
    Im in for this idea! And an all artificial tourney doesnt sound all that bad. We can find other ways to catch fish besides the most common vertical jigs and live baits that cost $$$$! Are we going to set up a date for this tourny or what?!?!
    OK Trident Ultra 4.3 Lemongrasss
    Im shooting for Sat June 8th if we can get enough ppl by then. Prob a min 10 to make it worth it. If not we can postpone to another weekend. From what i see fishing is pretty **** good right ow with a ton of Jumbo tunas being caught
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    I'm down too, but the weather isn't looking too good for this weekend. East winds 18 to
    23 knots, seas 3 to 5 feet with occasional seas up to 8 feet is out of my comfort zone... If it lays down some you can count me in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm down too, but the weather isn't looking too good for this weekend. East winds 18 to
    23 knots, seas 3 to 5 feet with occasional seas up to 8 feet is out of my comfort zone... If it lays down some you can count me in.

Not doing this weekend. Shooting for June 8th which is the Sat after this one
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 849 Officer
    **** I'm in the keys that weekend.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    I'll be fishing the SLAM that weekend.
    **** i guess the 15th would be better for everyone than! gives yall an extra weekend to practice
  • krashkrash Posts: 648 Officer
    Sounds like it would be easier to just do a gentlemans handshake for a few bucks on the beach at launch time, "whos in for the biggest fish", like they do it on party boats...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish