Lake Powell help...

I know this forum is a long shot for my question, but does anyone have any info on fishing Lake Powell in southern Utah? I'll be there June 7-13th.
Any type of fishing, bass, stripers, crappie, bream....
Thanks,
lostcreek

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,828 Moderator
    FS forum works even in Utah ! That's a trip I've often thought about doing on a houseboat.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • lostcreeklostcreek Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    louie,
    I'm renting a houseboat for a week for the whole family...kids and grandkids. I'm also dragging along my new Pathfinder for fishing and exploring. I'll, hopefully, post a few pics when I get home.
    Lake Powell is a beautiful lake and holds tons of fish.
    lostcreek
    lostcreek wrote: »
    louie,
    I'm renting a houseboat for a week for the whole family...kids and grandkids. I'm also dragging along my new Pathfinder for fishing and exploring. I'll, hopefully, post a few pics when I get home.
    Lake Powell is a beautiful lake and holds tons of fish.
    lostcreek

Lucky dog! That's going to be a killer time to be had. You REALLY need to post a report on your return.
    Seen R. Martin do a couple of shows there and they caught lots of stripers,smallies and largemouth.

Have a great time.
  • lostcreeklostcreek Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I'll mostly be fishing with "non-serious" fisher people....kids and grandkids...but I'll be sure to post some pics if we're successful. Remember, Roland puts several hours or days into one 10 minute show, not counting commercials. Ha!
    lostcreek wrote: »
    I'll mostly be fishing with "non-serious" fisher people....kids and grandkids...but I'll be sure to post some pics if we're successful. Remember, Roland puts several hours or days into one 10 minute show, not counting commercials. Ha!

You'll have a whole week .. :)
  • WildoWildo Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Lake powell is LOADED with striped Bass. Ive caught them on lots of different lures etc or a standard fishfinder rig with 1/4 ounce weight and anchovies work good as well. I always fish out of Bull frog bay or Halls crossing and look for areas not to deep (places its 400' deep there) where the canyons make it it easy for stripers to trap shad(natural forage). Also mokey wall is Famous for holding them as well. You will also catch Catfish while fishing for stripers and there is NOTHING like COLD water cat fish.

If you want a little bit more advanced fishing there is PLENTY of small mouth bass in the lake as well. They are almost to full so you may have to weed through the shorties to get a good stringer of ehm. I like using traditional round led head 1/8- 1/4 ounce with a charteues or rootbeer curly tail. Find where the canyons have crumbled into the water and just work those rock piles. 150-200 fish on small mouth is not out of the ordinary on that lake. Occasionally you will catch wall eyes small mouth fishing.

If you want more advanced then the small mouths you can target Largemouths. Look for trees and bushes in the backs of canyons or blown in tumble weeds. fish ehm as you would any other LM. My favourite spot is actually Bull frog bay in and around the marinas and the tires.(Tires hold a LOT of fish )
    The hardest skill wise in that lake I would say is Wall eyes. You have to find more sandy or pebbly terrain and bottom bouncing a night crawler rig or jigs is generally the best bet. It takes a while to figure out the depth there hanging at but once you do you can catch enough for a good dinner.

I have spent over 20 years fishing that lake as it my father's side of the families playground. We always fished the Utah side and farthest downriver we ever fished was the Escalante river canyon.... But everything I have said hold true farther up or farther down. It is a Great beautiful place. The stripers are easy to catch... Just rare to tie into big ones. It will be one of your favourites vacations I am sure!!!!
    Oh and on the bream ...... Wherever you park the houseboat you should find bluegills. They like the shade that the houseboat provides.
    And be super careful exploring the water there can change 20-30 feet a year and where there was 30 feet of water could be a canyon wall.... or you go from 200' of water to 6 " because of a canyon wall.... Just be Observant