Home Egret Boats

Fiberglass or CK

camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
A friend of mine is considering buying a new boat and is undecided between a bay boat and a flats boat. (I think he is leaning toward a bay boat though). If he decides on a flats boat he is checking out a new Egret, and since he knew I had a fiberglass Egret for a number of years and now have a CK he asked me if it is worth it to spend the extra money for the CK. He is aware of the weight difference and that the CK is stronger, (how much I don’t know) but is concerned about the CK’s rumored to not ride as well. I really didn’t know what to advise him. I haven’t notice a big difference in ride quality but then again conditions aren’t always the same. I can’t say anything bad about the fiberglass hulls, mine was 15 years old and didn’t have one stress or spider crack. I hardly had any chips in the fiberglass.
He talked to one owner of a fiberglass hull who told him there was a huge difference in ride comfort, and not to even consider the CK.

For those of you who have owned or are familiar with both, what would you advise him to buy and why.

I suggested he call Frank about his concerns, but he would rather hear from people who own and use their boats.

Of course I did tell him about how cool the inside of the hatch covers on the CK look when you open them.

Replies

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    I spec'd mine with a C/K hull for strength and a glass capdeck and hatches to save coin. I ride in Flatsboy's Glass hull and can't tell a bit of difference in any way, be it speed, ride or draft.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I have had them both. I am pretty sure the C/K sell very quick but the ride is the same.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Basically what you get with CK is cool looking hatches, about 150lbs less total weight and perhaps a little marketing advantage at sale. It's stronger too but it's not like the glass boats are prone to some problems by comparison. I am not aware of a single issue with a glass hull after all of these years. If all of that is worth the approx. $5k increase in price to the buyer then that is the answer. Someone told me years ago (I cant remember who) the glass boats ride better because they give a little compared to CK but it sounded like bs to me. My glass boat seems plenty stiff and I am clearly not concerned about its strength.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    not worth the 5k unless you want to be the cool kid. My glass 18.9 has seen it all and not a single crack or issue... shes solid as they come and rides like a dream. I'm sure there are uneducated consumers out there that will swear they NEED a CK boat but the smart ones save the 5k and get some good tackle. When I built mine I could have afforded it but the story was the same... why bother.

As for resale... my boats not even officially on the market yet and I already have 4 people that said "when you're ready call me" and its glass.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Underslot wrote: »
    As for resale... my boats not even officially on the market yet and I already have 4 people that said "when you're ready call me" and its glass.
    Same here. Egret ownership has its advantages beyond just being an incredible boat that does not age.
    I was told the same upon buying my c/K "the glass version rides a little better". Honestly, if mine rode any better I probably couldn't stand it :)
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the response. I have to agree with everything that was said, and is pretty much exactly what I told him. I never had an issue with my glass hull, so it was hard to suggest he "needed" the C/K for added strength. It boils down to a personal issue of whether you want the CK enough to pay the extra money.
    He can afford anything he wants so I guess he really just wanted to know what he was getting by upgrading to the C/K.