Visiting area, please help me out

chessbellchessbell Posts: 7 Greenhorn
Visiting from up North, and staying in Indian Rocks Beach (Tampa area). Really need help finding some DIY fly fishing in the area. Fresh or salt water doesn't matter to me. Haven't been able to get any help from the locals. Please let me know if you think that you have any ideas that I should try.
Thank you for any help and for any time put in to helping me.

Replies

• DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    Fort DeSoto has some great fishing, but it is a bit of a drive. The ICW has some great opportunities. Find a bridge that leads out to the gulf and fish the outgoing tide. Any mangrove islands should hold fish. Also the docks in the ICW can hold fish. You didn't mention when you will be there. Try fishing the beaches on the tides. Walk out to waist deep or so and cast almost parallel to the beach (just out to the gulf a bit). Good luck.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
    Thanks again
    Yah Fort DeSoto has a lot of area you can wade. I took my kayaks there last year and had a blast. Unfortunately I'm not in the area other wise I'd be happy to meet up.

If you go there follow take a left at the end of the Pinellas Bayway so you are heading towards the gulf. Follow that road as far as you can. There is a parking lot right at the end. You'll find a very nice pass that leads to the gulf there. When the tide is moving a ton of fish pass through there. Also there is a god chance you'll see some dolphins chasing fish. Don't head too far out into the pass the current can get mighty swift. Good luck.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • chessbellchessbell Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I can't thank you enough for your help. It is very cool to see that there still some great people out there. If any of you are ever in the Chicago area, and want to chase Steelhead or huge Smallmouth, just let me know.
    Thanks

Also this morning, walked out in to the surf, about waist deep, cast a Clouser Minnow in to the trough and got bitten clean off on the first cast. Any idea as to what might have munched me?
    Could have been almost anything. What kind of leader were you using? I'd suggest 40lbs fluorocarbon like Seaguar, P-Line or Diamond. Snook love the surf and they have really sharp gill plates. Could have been a small shark or maybe a Spanish mackerel. I'm sure there are a ton more too. Early morning and early evening are best especially on a moving tide (in or out). Look for bait schools in the waves. They look like dark patches. Also birds hammering the surf is a tip off.

Glad I could help out. I've been visiting that general area since I was a kid. If you ever get up to Niagara drop me a line I can put you on just about any fish you want in fresh water.
    This time of year the snook are just beginning to take up residence on the beaches. Any morning from about 8-10 am with the sun and wind at your back and you should have an easy go at sight fishing these fish in the trough. I use an 8 weight and 25 lb shock leader when I target them. Small white unweighted baitfish flies work best, crystal schminnow (with lightweight plastic eyes) Deceivers, DT Special, etc.... nothing larger than about 3 inches. The more sparse the better it seems. They hang out literally in the trough, casts parallel with the shoreline and retreived along the wash are more productive than casting directly out from shore. Hope you catch some fish!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Spanish macks cut you off clean, snook will take a few head shakes to wear down the line.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Was just in the area last weekend. No snook on the beach around treasure island...talked to a few locals and they said the water was still on the cool side.
    Desoto had a lot of macs from what I could see, but I didn't fish it.