24v Trolling Motor Use On Full Charge

reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
I'm curious if you guys are getting all day out of a full charge with your minn kota st.

I just upgraded to the ipilot (which is awesome), but I feel like I'm not getting as much time out of a full charge as I should. My batteries are perfect and test good under load.. Charging system works fine too.

Granted I fish in current a lot.. After a few hours I am already showing half the bars gone on the trolling motor gauage and even if I was going at a slow speed.

I was thinking I could upgrade the PC1500's to something bigger....
My Youtube Channel
Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    reelgrimm wrote: »
    I'm curious if you guys are getting all day out of a full charge with your minn kota st.

I just upgraded to the ipilot (which is awesome), but I feel like I'm not getting as much time out of a full charge as I should. My batteries are perfect and test good under load.. Charging system works fine too.

Granted I fish in current a lot.. After a few hours I am already showing half the bars gone on the trolling motor gauage and even if I was going at a slow speed.

I have a friend with a new MK iPilot on his HB which is half the weight of our skiffs. He uses 25% of his power in a days fishing. Knowing that, it seems reasonable to assume our weight and configuration would need to use more juice. I do not think he went to the 31 case.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,343 Officer
    reelgrimm wrote: »

If your fishing current and are using 1200 then you will eat them up. Do you have the Stealth Charger?
    If not it will help when you run to replenish the batteries but you'll need to run about 20 min to help!
    The 1500 will hold up to the current i had the same setup and never killed them!
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Ahh crap, I do have the 1200's :( I bought them in 11/2011....

Will the 1500's fit in the same spot without moving stuff around? I'm gonna call odyssey and see if they will give me a break on them...

Or maybe screw the odysseys and jsut get group 29's. I would like to upgrade to a 36v system, but would be a little too much in upgrades.. I use my trolling motor more than most, so it is important that I don't have to baby it while fishing.

I have a promariner, not stealth charging system... and I really don't run much as most of my fishing spots are near the ramp, and no way I'm running for more than 20 minutes at once... a lot of no wake zones for sure...
    My Youtube Channel

The 36 volt will last with the 1200's it's a different ball game once you go to the 36 volt.
    Here is how i had mine with the 36 volt and now 24 just wanted to save the weight.

new2.jpg

20130414_165219_zpsf6b9875b.jpg
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    I'm trying to avoid changing out my charging system if I don't have to.. I need to talk to Tommy about his setup... Those group 29's look like the way to go.. I litterally use my trolling motor 90% of the trip... I'm not gonna buy the odysseys again if they aren't gonna cut it.
    My Youtube Channel

Sent you a pm call me.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 550 Officer
    I have the same 36 volt set up as Flatsboy pictured above with a Stealth Charger. On my Hells Bay I had a 24 volt i-pilot with a Stealth. The 36 volt system holds up much better to a heavy day of fishing even with the heavier boat. The 24 volt would get pulled so far down the Stealth had a hard time making much of a difference, especially with the smaller alternator output of the 90HP outboard.

A few weeks ago I fished a mother boat in the Glades for 3 days. To conserve fuel they didn't run the main generator after everyone went to bed so my batteries got very little charging time each evening and we fished daylight to dark. With the 36 volt and Stealth I fished 3 days with zero issues and I use my trolling motor a lot. We were using the anchor function several hours at a time fishing some rivers holding tarpon and working shorelines the rest of the day.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I'm almost identical to 91T: 36v MG with Stealth. Have not run down my batteries in the five years since install, including three day camping trips. According to the late Lee Phillips: "36v trollers draw significantly less amps to produce same thrust"...